Valentine’s Day Dessert Recipes from Willow Bird Baking

by Julie Ruble on February 7, 2013 · 10 comments

It’s that time again: Valentine’s Day. You either love it or you hate it, but you have to admit . . . at least it’s an excuse to eat dessert? Here are a few that will definitely score you brownie points with your sweetheart (or your own solitary tummy as you sit on the couch and watch reruns of 30 Rock, thank you very much.)

By the way, I’ve included a difficulty rating after each recipe so you can pick one perfect for your skill level and schedule. And how much you love your partner. JUST KIDDING, just kidding.

1. Gooey Butter Strawberry Shortcake (very easy)
2. Thick Chocolate Cake with a Big Red (Velvet!) Heart (not hard, but probably easier as a 2-day process.)
3. Gooey Chocolate Skillet Cake Ice Cream Sundae (very easy)
4. Chocolatey Red Velvet Pull-Apart Bread with Cream Cheese Glaze (includes rising time; a 2-day process)

5. German Chocolate Cheesecake (not hard, but probably easier as a 2-day process.)
6. Red Velvet Cheesecake-Stuffed Cake Balls (advanced; easier as a multi-day process)
7. Heart-Shaped Palmiers (sweet or savory; very easy)
8. Red Velvet Cheesecake (not hard, but probably easier as a 2-day process.)

9. Boozy Icebox Cake (very easy)
10. Caramelized Banana Upside-Down Coconut Cake & Coconut Whipped Cream (intermediate)
11. Red Velvet and Oreo Kisses (advanced; easier as a multi-day process)
12. Valentine’s Truffle Heart (advanced; easier as a multi-day process)

13. Strawberry Sour Cream Pie (very easy)
14. (Freshly Picked!) Strawberry Cream Pie (intermediate; multi-step process)
15. Homemade Hot Chocolate & Marshmallows (easy)
16. Red Berry Pie (intermediate)

…and four more for the coconut lover like me:

1. Chocolate & Coconut Cream Pie Bars (easy, but do require 30-minutes of stirring)
2. Tres Leches Coconut Cake Trifle (intermediate; easier as a multi-day process)
3. Brownie-Bottom Coconut Chocolate Cream Cake (very easy)
4. Moist Fluffy Coconut Cake (intermediate; easier as a multi-day process)

Dianna @ The Kitchen Prep February 7, 2013 at 2:57 am

Holy moly, lady, I am drooling over these recipes & pics! I do have a hubby to celebrate with {though we really aren’t “Valentiney” people, to tell you the truth!}, but he isn’t much of a dessert eater. In fact, he actually dislikes chocolate. Insane, I know. I am not against baking one of these goodies to enjoy all by myself. ;)

Wicked Goodies February 7, 2013 at 3:39 am

This post makes me want to bake for Valentines day….possibly one of your scrumptious-looking skillet desserts. But I’ve never seasoned a skillet for baked goods. So I had better get on that! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Sharla February 7, 2013 at 4:30 am

I’ll have one of each please!!

lynn @ the actor's diet February 7, 2013 at 4:32 pm

LOVE that you included the skill level for all of these. I’ll be trying all the easy ones!

Inès February 7, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Drooling just by looking reading the names !!! You amaze me. Thanks for these lovely ideas, I will try one :) x

Jenny @ BAKE February 8, 2013 at 2:03 pm

great collection of recipes

Betti February 9, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Just love your blog! Everything looks so delicious, the pictures are perfect – bright and colorful.
I did one of your cookie-dough-cheesecakes for some time ago, I think it was with a coffee taste. Anyhow, the best cake I’ve ever had (even though I had to replace some of the ingredients due to the Swedish lack of supply)! Are you planning on publishing a cooking book anytime soon?

Best regards from Sweden,
Betti

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen February 9, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Now I want to whip out my cast iron skillets and make something naughty….

Awesome roundup! I want to eat it all (in super-responsible portions, of course).

justin February 12, 2013 at 6:37 am

The strawberry cream pie is my favorite one. Looking at the pictures what immediately came to my mind is the gift I’m gonna give to my girlfriend on Valentine’s Day. I’ve made a private booking for one of the courses organized by Zac’s cooking school here in Vancouver – cooking classes for couples and your recipes will most certainly be among the first ones we’ll try together. :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 12, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Aww, Justin, that is too sweet!! She’s gonna love it!