Red Velvet Cheesecake-Stuffed Cake Balls

by Julie Ruble on February 9, 2012 · 90 comments

What’s your favorite color?

Alex‘s answer is pink. He’s the son of fellow Charlotte food blogger Julie of Mommie Cooks, and he just celebrated his 6th birthday in style with a gorgeous rainbow cake. Things haven’t all been rainbows lately, though, because Alex was recently informed by some kids at school that boys aren’t supposed to wear pink.

Julie’s post beautifully captures the struggle of a mom trying to empower her kid to hold tight to his unique personality when the world is trying to tuck him into a bright blue mold. It’s hard to explain to a 6-year-old that pink wasn’t always considered “girly.” Or that part of the reason pink is a “girl color” now is so businesses can make more money. Maybe Riley can help explain?

I shared Julie’s post with my 7th grade students, who wrote a reflection on it before we discussed their thoughts. Middle school is a particularly difficult time for finding your own way, so we talk a lot about bullying and how to be ourselves and love others. Given this (and the fact that they’re sweethearts), I wasn’t surprised at all that they were touched by Alex’s story.

Their indignant and protective voices cried, “He can like whatever color he wants to like!” and “He’s just a little boy! Why does it matter what color he wears?” Then someone — I think it was Matt — raised their hand with an idea. “We should all wear pink tomorrow to support him!”

And just like that, a plan was born: the 7th grade “color swap.”

That’s how it came to pass that the 7th grade boys filed into my room this morning in every shade of pink and red. The 7th grade girls donned blues, grays, greens, and browns, complete with sneakers and baseball caps. One boy snazzed his outfit up with a pink tie. Another topped off his ensemble with a pink fedora. Yet another wore cute socks. Their message was clear: colors don’t belong to a certain gender, and you should always be able to be yourself.

The 7th grade. Be yourself, love others!

This Valentine’s Day, don’t limit yourself to celebrating romantic love. Why not celebrate pink for Alex? Find a way this week to be your unique self, or to show support for someone else’s individual choices. Maybe you can find a day to wear pink for all the Alexes of the world, who shouldn’t ever have to conform to an arbitrary idea of normal.

In the spirit of loving yourself and others, here are some Valentine’s Day Red Velvet Cheesecake-Stuffed Cake Balls. Nothing says I love you like cheesecake, red velvet, and chocolate, am I right? And I definitely got some I love yous from the folks who devoured these.

How can you be yourself and love others?

Red Velvet Cheesecake-Stuffed Cake Balls

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking
Yield: 30+ cake balls

People will seriously swoon when you show up with these cake balls. SWOON, I tell you. Red velvet cake and cheesecake and chocolate?! They’re also, despite looking really fancy, surprisingly straightforward to make. That being said, cake balls and pops are always fiddly the first time you make them and they require a little trial and error (should I dip with a toothpick or a spoon? Should I dry them at room temperature or in the fridge?), but the great thing about them is that they always taste amazing. The “recipe” below is more of a technique than a recipe. I’ve included lots of hints and even have a video tutorial to help you make these cuties! Also be sure to check out Candiquik’s great post on Common Cake Pop Problems.

Cake Ball Ingredients:
Your favorite red velvet cake recipe*, prepared and cooled
Chocolate candy coating (I love Candiquik or candy melts)
sprinkles

Cheesecake Filling Ingredients:
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sugar

Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

*Note: I used a half recipe for these red velvet whoopie pies for my cake balls. They’re delicious as whoopie pies but were too oily for the cake balls, so mine cracked if I didn’t keep them in the fridge. I’d recommend using the red velvet cake recipe I used for these cake balls, which has always worked well for me. It might be more red velvet than you need, so you could try halving it and baking it in a loaf pan, but I haven’t attempted this. What the heck is too much red velvet, anyway?

Make the cheesecake middles: While the cake you chose is baking and cooling, mix all the cheesecake filling ingredients for 3-4 minutes or until fluffy. Fill a plastic zip bag with the mixture and cut off the corner. Pipe the cheesecake mixture into small swirls on a silicone mat or wax paper. Freeze these until firm (mine only took about 45 minutes).

Make frosting: Whip cream cheese until fluffy. Mix in all other frosting ingredients and mix on medium-high speed until combined. When cake is cooled and crumbled, start mixing frosting in. Start with about 1/2 cup of frosting and mash/stir with your fingers, pressing together to feel the texture. You’re looking to reach a playdough-like consistency. I think I used about 3/4 cup of frosting total, but the amount you use will depend on how much cake you have crumbled in your bowl.

Make cake balls: Once your cake mixture is ready and your cheesecake middles are frozen firm, you’re ready to assemble your cake balls! Take a frozen cheesecake middle and pack some cake around it. Roll it into a ball and place it on a silicone mat or wax paper. Continue until all cake balls are rolled. Chill these in the refrigerator overnight. I don’t freeze mine like some sites suggest, because I find chilling them in the fridge instead reduces cracking after I dip them.

Dip cake balls: After cake balls have chilled overnight, melt your candy melts or candy coating according to the package directions. I keep my bowl of candy melts situated in a bigger bowl of hot water to keep them warm and fluid, but be careful no water gets into the melts or they’ll seize!

To dip cake balls, I insert a toothpick into the center and dip them in the candy coating, using a spoon to help coat them. I then hold my cake ball over the bowl, gently bouncing and turning it to drain the excess coating off (letting them drain a good long while — but not long enough to fall off the toothpick — is how I avoid having a huge chocolate “foot”). When well-drained, I gently wiggle the cake ball off my toothpick onto a sheet of wax paper and add any sprinkles. I noticed my cake balls cracking (because I used an oilier cake), so I stuck them in the fridge as soon as they were dry to prevent this (it always helps for some reason). Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

VARIATIONS:
-You can leave the cheesecake middles out of this recipe and roll the cake into a solid ball if you want traditional cake pops.
-You can use any flavor of cake (or even a cake mix) for your cake.
-You can add chopped berries to your no-bake cheesecake mixture or even add in chocolate or other flavoring to produce different flavors of cheesecake in the center.
-You can use lollipop sticks or pretzel sticks to make these into cake pops.
-You can decorate with chocolate drizzle instead of (or in addition to) sprinkles.

Alex, this is for you. Be yourself! We think you’re awesome just the way you are.

Rainbows for Alex

-Pin It

Shareother ways to share this post with friends

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 9, 2012 at 5:19 am

There’s red velvet mania sweeping blogs the past week or so and I love it. And these balls. With those cream cheese centers..NICE!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Thanks, Averie!

A_Boleyn February 9, 2012 at 5:52 am

You’ve got a great class with a generous, loving heart to create a rainbow for Alex. I hope they continue to create rainbows for all the Alex’s in the world. Cheers to you all.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I hope so too!! Thank you!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen February 9, 2012 at 9:16 am

The world needs more teachers like you! I was bullied horribly throughout middle school, so it’s always nice to near about kids this age who are sensitive, thoughtful, and kind. What a sweet group of students you have!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Aw, thank you, Maggie! They really deserve all the credit. They’re so sweet.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 9, 2012 at 11:33 am

Ok, how did you make your cake balls look so perfect?! They sound amazingly delicious, too!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Lauren, I totally think it’s all about the coating you buy (and okay, letting them drain for-ev-er) (and okay, only taking photos of the pretty ones). LOL! Thanks!

Amelia February 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm

That was so much fun. We should do things like that more often! YAY 4 RAINBOWS

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I agree, Amelia! Thanks for joining in!

Jules February 9, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Awesome. And I’m not even talking about the cake balls.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Aw, thank you, Jules!

Kate February 9, 2012 at 1:15 pm

What a great teacher. This really touched me. Those photos are wonderful, I want cheesecake and its 8AM.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Aw, thanks Kate! Really, it was all them! They’re sweethearts.

Wanting cheesecake at 8 am, by the way? Not a foreign idea to me at all ;)

DessertForTwo February 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm

What a sweet sweet story. I know you’re touching the lives of those little kids and I’m in awe of you. You’re amazing, Julie :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Aw, thanks so much, Christina! They probably influence me much more than I influence them!

Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik February 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm

This whole post is great! You are such a great writer and amazing person in general. Wish we were neighbors, haha.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Aw, thanks Sarah! I DO TOO. We could do fun Candiquik projects all the livelong day ;)

Erin February 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm

My favorite color is purple, I have never tried to make a purple velvet before though, I should try with these sometime.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm

That sounds like such a fun idea!

Lori @ RecipeGirl February 9, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Beautiful! Love everything about them!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Thanks so much, Lori!

CHarlotte February 9, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I loved doing this so much and i loved reading about alex and his story its great to know about that

CHarlotte February 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm

i think your a remarkable person charlotte

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I loved it too, Charlotte. Thanks for joining in!

Elliott February 9, 2012 at 5:36 pm

That was actually a fun day! I laughed when this one girl said to all the guys that we looked girly! HA! I also look like a nun in the pic because of my sweatshirt on my hat :P

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Just another person to educate, right, Elliott? :)

FallsconsMate February 9, 2012 at 6:48 pm

to all your students:

job WELL done!! TheEngineer is a tall big man. he wears dress shirts (but rarely ties) to work every day. but when he DOES dress nice, one of his favorite combinations is a pink shirt and pink paisley tie. and he looks faboo.

the cake balls….oh how yummy they look!!!!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Thank you :D I will tell them!!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks February 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Wow, Julie, I do NOT remember seventh graders being that awesome when I one of them. Your kids are something special!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I know, right? They are just too awesome :) Thanks, Coco!

glasgefluester February 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Julie,

these look so woooooonderful, I just HAVE to try to imitate that! :-)
And by the way, I love the rainbow cake, that you linked.
I wish, my son had such a very fine teacher, like you are. In that case, he wouldn´t have the problems, he has today…
Yours,
B.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Aw, B, I don’t know what he’s going through, but I hope for the best for him. <3 Thank you!

Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) February 9, 2012 at 9:04 pm

These look fabulous! I can totally understand the excitement they bring into the room :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Thank you, Jenn!

Casey February 9, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Wow! that’s incredible that you’re students came up with that on their own. I love hearing stories of kids just realizing how ridiculous the reasons some kids bully each other for are. (hopefully that sentence made sense, haha) Your students sound so mature! When I was in 7th grade, teachers would definitely have a hard time getting the girls to give up their abercrombie and fitch, hot pink outfits…and no boy would have been caught dead wearing a pink fedora! It’s crazy how important materialistic items have become to us. I’m in high school now and it is far from gone. There’s been efforts to start clubs to promote inner beauty and what not but I, personally, have not noticed a huge difference. It’s so touching to see how your 7th graders have made statements and acted more mature than kids 4 or 5 years older than them. I hope they never forget what they learned!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I hope not too, Casey! And good for you and your friends for at least trying to turn the tide. High school can just be like that for awhile, but then MOST people grow out of that. Most… :)

Elizabeth February 9, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I feel the urge to make these! I haven’t made cake balls for a while now, but these would be good for a comeback! I taught 8th grade for three years and now teach 9th and 10th. While I liked middle school, I really love my high schoolers!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I’ve taught high school cooking classes and I have to say, I love high schoolers too. Middle school is where my heart is, though :)

Thanks, Elizabeth!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust February 9, 2012 at 11:59 pm

What a great lesson! I loved her post, and I love that photo of your class. Oh, and the cake balls too. :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Thanks, Dorothy!

Joanne February 10, 2012 at 2:09 am

The awesomeness of your class never fails to amaze me. Such a bunch of great kids. I hate the division of blue and pink into boy and girl colors…it’s just so silly! My brother is a very heterosexual male and he loves to wear pink. and it makes me so happy.

I’d be popping these balls like they were grapes (aka good for me). I just wouldn’t be able to help myself!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I agree — why divide up things as wonderful as colors? Thanks, Joanne :)

Ava February 10, 2012 at 2:27 am

Oh my goodness! I want these SO bad right now… Thanks for giving us the oppertunity to do something like this! I had so much fun!! Love, A

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Thank you, Ava, for participating! You guys are fantastic.

Eve February 10, 2012 at 3:44 am

What a fabulous idea to Matt! (or whoever it was) And I loved your story, and Alex’s and reading that article from the smithsonian was fascinating. In my opinion, Teddy looked very adorable in a boyish way. :)
I remember when I was little, my favorite colors would shift constantly from red to blue. I would have an all baby blue closet one year and all pink and red the next. But I don’t ever remember being teased for it. I wonder if there’s a gender problem here too?
And as for your idea, I wonder if someone could start up a project where people where either pink for Alex or blue if a gal wants to break the sterotype? I know I would certainly submit a picture to it! And kudos to both you and your students, you must be a fabulous teacher and I can tell those guys and girls are going to grow into fabulous people.
I love the cake balls too! I have yet to try them so this lovely post might actually push me to trying them out.

xoxo

- Eve

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I love that idea! People should feel free just to be themselves. Thanks, Eve!

Definitely give cake balls a try. Just remember that they probably won’t come out perfectly the first couple of times as you figure out your personal way of dipping them and drying them, etc. But they’ll still taste great :)

Deborah February 10, 2012 at 5:01 am

These look absolutely perfect!! I especially love the cheesecake filling – a fun little surprise!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Thanks, Deborah!

alexis February 10, 2012 at 11:10 am

There is quite a pink shirt movement in Canada thanks to these 2 guys.

The last day of Feb is anti-bullying day in Canada. Lots of people will wear pink shirts. Its amazing what these 2 boys started without even knowing.

What a fabulous lesson for your students! One we all should be remind of really.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm

So neat! Thanks for sharing that link, Alexis. I’ll share with my class.

Jessica @ How Sweet February 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I’ve been dreaming of these since I saw them yesterday. In love.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Thanks, Jessica!

Sandra February 10, 2012 at 1:00 pm

You and your students Rock!!!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Aw, thanks, Sandra!

Sprigs of Rosemary February 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I think I’ll take these to school Tuesday and tell the story.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm

What a sweet idea! Also, Rosemary, getting this comment made me realize I didn’t respond to your email!! OH MY GOSH! I’m so sorry! I did one of those things where I was just thinkin’ about it to the point where it felt ‘responded to.’ How is school going??

Jenna February 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Oh man, you have me in tears! It’s so wonderful that your 7th graders were indignant and used that indignation to provide much-needed encouragement to Alex and Julie. My heart is so warmed by this.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Aw, thank you, Jenna! They really are great little people.

Délice February 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm

This was a beautiful post- I am so touched by your students’ support! I am so proud that our generation is moving toward a more accepting mindset; I hope that someday we truly will live in an open, loving society.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Me too, Délice! Thank you!

natalie (the sweets life) February 10, 2012 at 6:33 pm

okay this recipe is amazing but your students are where it’s at today! love the impact you’re making on these kids’ lives and the impact they’re in turn making on others! keep it up julie you are such an inspiration!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Aw, thank you Natalie :)

Melissa Rheinlander February 11, 2012 at 1:10 am

What a great class you have!! I got all teary eyed reading this!! I just love Julie @ Mommie Cooks and know that her boys will be amazing young men!!

The cake balls look yummy too : )

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I think so, too, Melissa! Julie is great. Thank you!

LeAndra February 11, 2012 at 1:27 am

This is an awesome post, with such a great message. Thank you for sharing it with the kids you teach, as well as the readers like me who learn from you too.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Thank you, LeAndra!

Diane February 11, 2012 at 11:40 pm

What incredible students you have, not only to be so open-minded, but to take action and support their fellow human beings. Of course, credit to you for creating an environment in which such things are valued and made possible. I hope my daughter has teachers like you when she grows up.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Aw, thank you, Diane. What a sweet thing to say.

a snowsprite February 12, 2012 at 12:10 am

And that. . . is precious! I really think kids are a lot sweeter than people expect them to be, and it always makes me smile to read about your students.
Two of my best friends actually really like the color pink and they are both guys. My second favorite color is blue, hee hee. Wear whatever you like Alex!
And this recipe is definitely one I want to try! Thank you for sharing; both about Alex and the recipe.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:53 pm

“I really think kids are a lot sweeter than people expect them to be” This is true SO often. And people do tend to live toward whatever expectation people have of them. But I think when you give them permission and create an environment where they’re safe being sweet, they really do surprise you.

Thanks!

Jenni February 12, 2012 at 12:56 am

Oh, Julie, I’m so glad I stopped by this evening to read this! So proud of you for bringing this up with your kids (not that I’m surprised–you are the best), and so proud of your kids for their standing up for Alex. How beautiful; thanks for sharing this!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Aw, thank you, Jenni!

Bounce March 2, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Tammi at ebullientefflorescence.tumblr.com has a young son who likes to wear pink, she writes about it occasionally. I suppose it’s slightly easier for her son as he’s homeschooled and his brothers don’t pick on him.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I’m glad that he’s being himself! Thanks, Bounce :)

Bethany October 29, 2012 at 1:23 am

Okay, this is the first recipe of yours that I ever tried, and it is also how I came across your blog, if I remember correctly. I’ve been hooked ever since. We made these for Easter, and they were incredible! I think we dipped some in white chocolate as well. I had never made or even tasted a cake ball before, and this was a GREAT first experience!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 29, 2012 at 1:47 am

I LOVE that you tackled these as your very first cake ball experience, Bethany!! That is BRAVE, girl!! I’m so glad you loved them!

Danielle February 10, 2013 at 9:25 am

Hey, those look so DELICIOUS!! My friend and i were planning on baking them for valentines day…and were just wondering how long in advanced we could make them?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Hey Danielle! I’d plan on making it a multi-day process just for ease. You can probably make them up to a week in advance (store in fridge in sealed container.) The only issue with this is that sometimes there is condensation on the balls (hehe, sorry, middle schooler moment) when you take them out of the fridge, but they’re still very pretty :)

Teri February 10, 2013 at 10:14 pm

My son is running for “Beau” of a sorority and he told me the girls love cake balls and asked me to make some. I had never head of cake balls, so I searched Pintrest and found this recipe. Your directions and tips were perfect and best of all they were a huge hit with the girls! He said the cake balls earned him major props and extra points. I earned some “greatest mom ever” points too. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 11, 2013 at 12:10 am

Aw, that makes me so happy to hear, Teri! You are totally a super mom for making these for him :)