Summer Strawberry Sour Cream Pie

by Julie Ruble on August 15, 2010 · 92 comments

I have a love-hate relationship with Twitter. Twitter is related to this big ol’ Strawberry Sour Cream Pie, I promise.

On one hand, I hate Twitter. Twitter moves at the speed of light during prime tweeting hours. My OCD urge to not “miss out” on what’s going on slams head-on into a wall built with millions of 140-character bricks. Suddenly, I realize I’ve been watching my twitter feed for the better part of an hour. My eyes glaze over, my back hurts, and my brain starts translating each thought into its shortest possible expression. At this point, I need to tweet myself:

@julieruble Time 2 get off twitter immediately #beforeyoureyeballsfallout

That hashtag’s gonna catch on, just you wait and see.

But I love Twitter. I’m connected to hundreds of great people — other bloggers, Willow Bird Baking readers, the occasional celebrity chef. I keep in touch with an extended web of lovely folks that I might not have time to call or write a lengthy email to. There’s a level of casual interaction that brooks folks jumping into a conversation that pertains to their interests. You can easily meet fabulous new people, keep up with the dynamic blogosphere, and support fellow writers. Cool.

Even more cool? Sometimes twitter magic happens, and someone amazing (cough cough Jaden Hair of wonderful Steamy Kitchen) finds your blog and drools over some S’mores Cereal. Now that’s cool.

Like most things, there’s a twitter balance — for me, it involves checking in a few times a day, and that’s it. Thankfully, during one of my forays into the land of tweets, I found a gem. Lovely Patti at Worth the Whisk posted that one of her pies had been chosen as Pie of the Day by KCRW Radio’s Good Food Blog: Strawberry Sour Cream Pie.

Listen, you don’t scroll past an award-winning Strawberry Sour Cream Pie. You just don’t.

You stop, you ogle, you marvel, you salivate a little (in a classy way, of course), and then you go pick up some sour cream.

I knew while baking that this pie, along with the heavier Chocolate Mousse Pie, would be the perfect treats to take in for my dear Sunday school leader Joyce’s birthday.

I love the combination of fruit and sour cream, and it really sings in this gorgeous, lazy-day treat. The strawberries stay juicy, and the tangy-sweet fruit is delicious against the buttery crust. And pies like this are the reason people started saying things were “easy as pie.” You don’t need to blind bake the crust, pre-cook the filling, or any other fussy stuff. You roll out your dough, fill it, bake it, cool it, eat it . . . lick the plate.

If you’ve never made a pie before, this is a lovely place to start. It’s a single crust pie and simple as can be. Tell me: what’s your favorite pie to eat during sweltering summertime?

Summer Strawberry Sour Cream Pie

Recipe by: Worth the Whisk
Yields: one 9-inch pie, serves 6-8

Pie Crust Ingredients: (or you can use an unbaked, prepared crust)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup cold lard (non-hydrogenated if available)*
1/2 cup cold butter, chopped
3-4 tablespoons ice cold water
1 egg and 1 teaspoon heavy cream for egg wash
*you can substitute vegetable shortening here if you wish, but I highly recommend the lard!

Filling Ingredients:
1 quart fresh strawberries
1 cup flour
1 1/4 cup sugar, reserve 1 tablespoon
Dash salt
1 cup sour cream (not fat-free)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. To make the crust, pulse flour and salt together to combine. Add scoops of lard and pulse into the mixture has the texture of coarse sand, about 10 seconds. Add in chunks of butter and pulse until butter pieces are no larger than small peas, about 10 pulses. Add minimum amount of water and pulse on low. If dough remains crumbly and doesn’t come together, add another tablespoon of water. Add as little as is required to enable the dough to be rolled into a ball. Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 20-30.

Roll disk of dough out to around 2 inches larger than your pie plate and transfer it, situating it in the plate. Fold the excess dough around the edges and crimp, trimming where necessary.

Hull and wash the strawberries and slice them in half. Set aside. Sift flour, sugar, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add sour cream, blending until creamy. Gently fold in the berries without overmixing. Pour fruit into pie shell and spread to edges without packing down — there should be spaces throughout the filling. Sprinkle the top with the last 1 tablespoon sugar.

Bake the pie for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F (I leave the oven door open a minute during this period to let the temperature drop a little) and bake an additional 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Broil the pie for 2-3 minutes to brown up the top. Allow to cool completely (4-5 hours in the fridge, I’d say) before cutting, and serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream.

Jessica J. August 15, 2010 at 1:03 am

Right now it’s a recipe I’m developing playing on ‘Strawberry Shortcake Pie’. Shortcake crust, vanilla bean pastry cream on the bottom, homemade strawberry jam w/fresh strawberries folded in, and tons of fresh whipped cream on top. Chill and devour. Best remedy for our 100° heat lately.

Julie August 15, 2010 at 1:04 am

Oooh, that sounds fantastic, Jessica! Sign me up for a slice :)

Cyndi Foore August 28, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Jessica, that sounds marvelous!

Stacey August 15, 2010 at 3:39 am

It is too far away from summer for me to get decent strawberries, and as such I’m sitting here quietly weeping into my pie-dough. This seriously looks amazing and I can’t wait to give it a whirl when my strawberry patch comes to fruition in a few months!

Julie August 15, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I sometimes forget that I have plenty of wintering friends! Apologies to you, but summer will be here before you know it! ;)

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit August 15, 2010 at 12:44 pm

That pie is soooooo tempting! Our local strawberries are gone, but I can sometimes find nice ones in the market (if I go to the right one!) I have no favorite pie really- it’s usually the one in front of me!

Julie August 15, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I know what you mean, Betty! The pie in front of me is always the best ;)

Maranda August 15, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Yum!!!! I love finding new foodie blogs. And I hear you about twitter. And I have the problem of having it on my phone too! Gah!!

Julie August 15, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I can’t decide if I’d like it more if I had it on my phone (because I could keep up with it easier) or if that’d make me wanna throw my phone off the nearest cliff ;)

Sue August 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm

This pie looks fabulous! I usually just make fresh strawberry pie, but adding sour cream-YUM!

BTW, I may have to give my twitter account a wake-up call!

Julie August 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Thanks, Sue! Twitter’s fun — as long as you can wrench yourself away sometimes!

Joanne August 15, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I too have a serious love/hate relationship with Twitter. I just got an account after resisting it for the better part of my life and now am vaguely addicted, although I go through spurts.

If I could be guaranteed to find pies like this every time I tweeted, I would tweet far more often. It looks fantastic!

Joyce August 15, 2010 at 6:40 pm

It WAS fabulous and I enjoyed EVERY bite. You are a dear, Julie, and I thank you for remembering my birthday in such a special way!

Julie August 15, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Aw, thank you, Joyce! You definitely deserved birthday pie. We love and appreciate you so much, and all you do!

Beth August 15, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Wow! This pie looks amazing. Great pictures and instructions. Thanks you.

Plan B

Julie August 16, 2010 at 9:58 am

Thanks, Beth!

Barbara Bakes August 15, 2010 at 9:41 pm

This does sound like a perfect summer pie. I don’t think I can choose just one favorite pie.

Julie August 16, 2010 at 9:59 am

I know what you mean, Barbara. I’m leaning towards a mix of raspberry and strawberry, but blueberry is so very good. And then there’s chocolate mousse . . . oh, dear. And PEACH!

Anna Johnston August 16, 2010 at 4:00 am

Beautiful pictures, my mouth is watering…., you made me laugh with your Twittersphere addiction, but your right, great place to meet foodies from all around the world that’s true.

Julie August 16, 2010 at 9:59 am

Thanks, Anna :)

Wawa August 16, 2010 at 9:28 am

I continue to resist trying twitter, but I am not going to try to resist making this pie at all. Though I might try it with blueberries.

Julie August 16, 2010 at 9:59 am

Ooh, I think it’d be lovely with blueberries!

Milisa August 17, 2010 at 12:00 am

Strawberry pies are my favorite, and I will be trying this one. I haven’t dabbled into twitter yet, I’m just a little slow at those sort of things.

Julie August 17, 2010 at 12:01 am

Me too, actually, Milisa! I kind of got roped in by the blog world, but it’s fun now that I’m there :)

Tonya @ What's On My Plate August 17, 2010 at 8:12 am

I’ve never even heard of this type of pie before! Sounds delish!

Julie August 17, 2010 at 11:41 am

Thanks, Tonya! It was new to me, too!

Susan @One Less Thing August 17, 2010 at 8:58 am

Julie, first of all congratulations on the top 9. This looks yummy and I really want to try it. I like the blueberry idea. What is the consistency like? Creamy, cakey? It’s hard for me to imagine with both the flour and sour cream. Looks so pretty. Thanks.

Julie August 17, 2010 at 11:57 am

Thanks so much, Susan! The consistency is almost custardy, with gobs of fruit throughout.

Julia August 17, 2010 at 10:19 am

I’m a new reader thanks to Food Gakwer. I love the connections you can make via the internet and food blogs. I bookmarked this pie when I saw it on the Good Food blog. When it popped up on my reader today on your blog I got really excited. And your pie looks so tasty and tempting in your photos! I’m going to have to try it.
My favorite summer pie involves anything with peaches :)
Oh, and thank you for the cereal post! It came at the perfect time when I decided that cereal is too expensive to buy at the grocery.

Julie August 17, 2010 at 11:58 am

I love the connections too! How funny! And I’m a peach pie fanatic, too. In fact, the first pie I ever made was my Peach Crisp Pie. Thanks so much, Julia. Enjoy the cereal!

Debbie August 17, 2010 at 12:23 pm

luscious looking pie! I can imagine myself sitting in a chair in the backyard of one of those old-fashioned houses with the wrap-around porch eating this pie…no devouring it!

Julie August 17, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Lovely image — makes me wish I had a nice wrap-around porch!

ezsrecipes August 17, 2010 at 3:41 pm

This pie looks utterly fantastic! Ah, I do love a nice summery recipe! I have a Twitter so I can tweet my recipes when I post them, but outside of that I am not sure how I feel about Twitter. I prefer Facebook myself! :)

Julie August 17, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Thanks :) I do enjoy FB, too!

CC Recipe August 17, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Oh, my this pie looks unbelievably good, I can’t stop staring!

Julie August 17, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Thank you!

Ari August 18, 2010 at 12:02 am

This looks gorgeous!! I’ll have to try this before summer ends.

Julie August 18, 2010 at 12:12 am

Thanks, Ari! Hope you love it!

Risaeats August 18, 2010 at 9:13 am

During summer I adore a good homemade peach pie or blueberry crumb pie. I don’t bake summer pies as no one around here will eat them except me. I bake pies for Autumn – pumpkin pie, pecan pie. Those everyone will eat.

Julie August 18, 2010 at 10:37 am

I think I tend to bake fall pies, too.

Megan August 19, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I think I’d have to eat a piece of this pie with the chocolate mousse pie. It looks stunning! Sour cream sounds like an interesting pie ingredient.

Julie August 19, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Megan, that’s totally exactly what I did ;)

Karen August 29, 2010 at 7:46 am

I made this for us this weekend, and it turned out fabulous!We definitely have a new favorite now. Thanks!

Julie August 29, 2010 at 9:32 am

Yay! So glad you all enjoyed it, Karen!! Thank you for letting me know!

Nat May 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’m trying to make this pie to take for a Memorial Day cookout at my parents. The filling says mix until creamy. Mine isn’t creamy, it’s more like a pie crust. I put the right amount of ingredients in. Is it supposed to be like this?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking May 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Hi Nat! Can you describe it a little more to me? It won’t be liquidy, but by “creamy,” the recipe means there should be no dry ingredients left in the bowl — the whole thing will be combined into a creamy paste. It shouldn’t be as dry as pie crust dough, though, because you need to be able to fold the berries in. Is it such that you can fold in the berries?

Kristi June 4, 2012 at 2:10 am

I’d like to try to make this pie, it sounds wonderful, but where do you get lard? Or did everyone that made it use Crisco? If you did, did it taste good and what adjustments did you make because you used it instead of lard?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 4, 2012 at 2:52 am

I find lard at my local Hispanic market or a local pig farm, but you can also use Crisco (same measurement!) The taste might be a little less awesome, but it works perfectly fine :)

Chevis June 15, 2012 at 2:43 am

WOW…..this is one of the most delicious pie’s I have ever eaten!!! Thank you for sharing, I’m in heaven!!!!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 15, 2012 at 2:46 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Chevis!! Thanks!

sara June 26, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I can’t wait to try this – I’ve just gotten over my fear of making pie pastry so I’m always looking for new things to make with a pie crust! :)
and I’m resisting twitter…I have enough problems with fb and pinterest! :)

Diana Harper July 31, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I made your strawberry pie recipe this past Easter. It was wonderful! I will make it from now on. It looked just like the picture. My family loved it. Thank you for sharing.

Judith August 2, 2012 at 6:03 pm

This looks amazing!! Do you think I could do it with peaches, or would I need to tinker with the recipe?

a different Judith August 4, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Do you have a substitution to the lard? Just checking, you know how that turns some people off. Not me… I prefer butter!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking August 5, 2012 at 12:00 am

Sure! You can also use shortening.

Jen November 15, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Wondering if I could use plain yogurt instead of sour cream? Looks scrumptious!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking November 16, 2012 at 2:23 am

Hmmm, I’m not sure, Jen! I think it would work but not sure how the flavor would be. If you try, let us know how it goes!! Thanks :)

Anne Debecker December 19, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Hello Julie!

Your Summer Strawberry Sour Cream Pie makes me really, really want! I think the beautiful pictures bewitched me …..
I am Belgian and home, there is no “Dash salt”, what can I use instead?
Can you explain to me what this is? I found your recipe on Pinterest … ^ ^

A big thank you in advance …
Kind regards of Belgium,
Anne

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking December 20, 2012 at 2:42 am

Hi Anne! Thank you! The recipe uses regular table salt. A “dash” is a measurement. It means just a small bit — less than 1/8 teaspoon. It is also called a “pinch.”

Renee December 30, 2012 at 12:20 am

Did anyone try replacing the sour cream with greek yogurt yet? I saw someone else mention it earlier and I’d like to try this if it worked. I do bariatric eating and the lower fat idea appeals to me, along with trading in the full sugar with a Splenda for Baking blend.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking December 31, 2012 at 11:07 pm

No one’s mentioned the outcome, but I’d love to know if you try it!

Cassie February 15, 2013 at 5:12 am

This recipe looks lovely, but I cannot make my pie dough stay together. It cracks and crumbles as I try to roll it; I’ve no hope of getting it into a pie pan unless I treat it like a crumb crust. I’ve never made it before — did I just add too little water?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 15, 2013 at 5:21 am

Yes, too little! How much did you add? Sounds like you need some more. Are you making it in a food processor? I always let the processor spin a bit until it binds the dough for me — and if the dough doesn’t come together, there’s too little water. Add a little more and keep trying — don’t give up! If it gets melty, just stick it all in the fridge to chill and then continue :) Let me know if you have other questions!

Ana February 25, 2013 at 9:58 pm

This pie looks and sounds wonderful. I tried the recipe, and it was not edible. I never have things not work out! I am mystified as I followed the directions. What happened was that it never baked. The crust cooked but the middle of the pie just remained a thick doughy paste (I assume from the flour). Any ideas of what to do different next time? I love the sounds of it and would really love to give the recipe another shot. Thanks

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 26, 2013 at 4:59 am

Hi Ana! I’m so sorry to hear that! The texture kind of ends up like a nice strawberry cream pie (see photo above with the slice cut out to see what I mean) — but yours wasn’t like that? I’m not sure what could’ve gone wrong. Did you use full fat sour cream and the full cup of flour?

Ana February 27, 2013 at 6:42 am

I did use the full cup of flour. It was like it had too much flour. The entire middle was just kind of a raw doughy paste. I would not have used non-fat sour cream as the recipe stated not to, plus I never buy fat free sour cream. I could have used light, or it may have been full fat…. it has been long enough that I just don’t remember. Would light sour cream ruin it? I have never had a problem before interchanging the two in recipes, but maybe that was the problem (if I did use light). Just really weird that the mixture would just not cook. I will try again (and for sure use full fat sour cream). It looks and sounds delicious, and I love how easy it is. I reeeeally want this recipe to work and be a winner!! Thanks.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 27, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Hi Ana, The light sour cream is all I can think of — it would have more water content and might make it soupy. As you can see in the photo above, though, it doesn’t turn into a custard — there’s no egg for that — but does stay creamy, so I’m not sure what you mean by “does not cook.” It shouldn’t have been paste-like, though. Did you broil the top?

Ana February 27, 2013 at 7:08 pm

When I say it didn’t cook, I mean it literally was as if it had never been in the oven – totally raw and uncooked batter/dough/yes, even paste-like (even though the crust and top cooked). It is the strangest thing I’ve ever seen. Thanks for brainstorming with me. I haven’t given up. I will try it again. I clearly did something very wrong the first time! LOL

Dannie April 6, 2013 at 12:26 am

hi, i was wondering if you use a dry or liquid cup for the sour cream. Also if you let the sour cream to come to room temp? I added it to my dry ingredients and it is quite thick and not combining very well. Thanks

Julie Ruble April 6, 2013 at 12:50 am

Hi Dannie,

I usually use a dry cup just ’cause it’s easier to measure in that. I think mine was straight out of the fridge, but it probably would be easier to mix in if it sat at room temp a bit :) Hope that helps!

Debra Hendren April 21, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Hi Julie,
Quick question. . . as I read your recipe I can’t figure out when I use the egg wash? I would have done it baking the pie shell but you have me filling it with the strawberry mixture?

I followed your recipe for inspiration but did a couple of wacky things. . . added some almond extract with the ice water to make the dough, etc.

I think I’m going to just leave out the egg wash but wanted to check. . . Thanks!

Julie Ruble April 22, 2013 at 1:59 am

Debra, I just use it on the edges of the crust before baking the whole shebang! I’ll add that to the recipe — thanks for catching the omission!

Mariann April 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I was wondering about the egg + T of heavy cream too. Glad I read all the way to the end because the ingredients are all together and I’m ready to pop it in the oven. Looks awesome, hope it’s a new keeper recipe.

Selina May 16, 2013 at 7:56 am

I basically saw this recipe and immediately ran out and bought the ingredients. Question, though. Do you put the filling in the unbaked pie crust or so you bake the pie crust first then add filling and bake? I don’t make pies too often but I know you sometime bake the crust first so I didn’t know if that was a given here or not. Thanks!

Julie Ruble May 16, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Nope, follow the recipe just as written without pre-baking. Hope you love it!

Elizabeth June 3, 2013 at 12:28 am

I made this pie today….it tasted great, and looked great – until we cut into it. It was really soupy (needed to scoop it with a spoon) and I’m wondering if you have any ideas or tips? Could I have over mixed the batter – I’d say it was about the consistency of cake batter, easy to fold in the strawberries. Or could it have needed to bake longer? Or set up in the fridge? The crusts were just starting to be golden & I broiled it for a couple of minutes to get get the dark golden on the top. It’s like it just didn’t set right though. Any tips are appreciated b/c it was definitely tasty, just not a good presentation!

Julie Ruble June 3, 2013 at 12:34 am

Elizabeth, It sounds like it needed to set longer. Like many fruit pies and cream pies, it needs to cool/set completely (I’d say 4-5 hours) before serving or it’ll be runny (it’s always creamy, as you can see in the photo). If there’s any left, try to stick the rest of the pie in the fridge and I’m betting the texture will be perfect tomorrow.

Chesnye June 8, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I am about to bake this pie and I was wondering how long you think it will keep in the fridge? Also, do you think it would freeze well? I have an overabundance of strawberries, so I am making many things. I just want to be able to enjoy everything I bake!! :D Thanks!

Julie Ruble June 8, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I’d say 4-5 days covered in the fridge. I don’t think it’ll freeze well, because I feel like the sour cream will separate and be runny when thawed! Hope you enjoy!

Melissa @ My Recent Favorite books June 23, 2013 at 1:40 am

Your recipe sounds wonderful! =)
Im saving some recipes to make later this fall.

Sarah June 27, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Oh my gosh. I found this on Pinterest and I just about died. I LOVE fruit with sour cream. Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I made it and just loved it – definitely a new favorite! If you have a deep dish pie pan like mine, you will want 1.5 – 2 times the filling amount.

Kathy September 11, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I am using a tad bit less flour and adding an egg! I’ll let you know how the consistency is once baked. I substituted Raspberries for Strawberries as that is all I had.

summer day July 29, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Should this be kept in refrigerator? And served at what temperature?
Thanks

Julie Ruble July 29, 2014 at 4:06 pm

If I remember correctly, I kept mine in the fridge and served it after sitting out for a few moments to take the chill off.