Four-Ingredient Protein Pancakes (and 16 other simple, healthy meals)

Check out 16 Simple, Healthy Meals

by Julie Ruble at Foodie.com

Thanks, Foodie, for sponsoring this post.

Recipe for Four-Ingredient Protein Pancakes from Willow Bird Baking
Four-Ingredient Protein Pancakes

5 from 1 reviews
Four-Ingredient Protein Pancakes

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Unbelievable. These little "pancakes" can be made with just two ingredients, but I've added some baking powder and whey protein in this recipe. They're a super quick and healthy breakfast or snack. They come out with almost a crêpe texture. You can add vanilla extract, cinnamon, cardamom -- whatever you want! You can also ditch the protein if you're not looking to supplement yours. Each pancake is just around 30 calories!
Author:
Serves: 9-10 3-inch pancakes
Ingredients
  • 1 large banana (it should yield about 1/3 - 1/2 cup, mashed)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking powder (optional but recommended)
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla whey protein powder (optional; you can also add a touch of vanilla extract instead)
Instructions
  1. Place a medium skillet over medium heat on the stove. Let it heat up while you prepare the pancakes. It's ready when water dropped into the pan sizzles.
  2. To prepare the pancakes, mash the banana well with a couple of forks. Add the eggs, baking powder, and protein powder (if using) and whisk until well combined. Spray the skillet with nonstick cooking spray before adding in 2-3 tablespoons of the pancake mixture (I used a sprayed metal ring to make mine so round -- if you don't want to bother, they'll just be a little wonky shaped.)
  3. Let the pancakes cook for 25-30 seconds before flipping and letting the other side cook for the same amount of time. Remove to a plate and serve with nut butter, sugar-free syrup, butter, fruit, or whatever you'd like!

68 Comments on Four-Ingredient Protein Pancakes (and 16 other simple, healthy meals)

1. Kelly
    January 20, 2015 at 5:41 pm (1 year ago)

Oh this is hilarious! I have never enjoyed yoga. My friend thinks I should try hot yoga but I keep avoiding it. Chair pose is hard enough in an air conditioned room!However, you did give me an idea. One of the reasons I don’t like yoga is that my hands sweat and things start slipping. Maybe I need a hot yoga mat.

• Jessa
      January 17, 2016 at 2:14 pm (5 months ago)

Your post made me chuckle. I also hate regular yoga, but I was convinced to try hot yoga (which I wasn’t keen on at all, but it was a boy I liked lol. Anyway, now I love it. The yoga towel over the mat makes 100% difference. Make sure its not a regular towel they stretch and are a nightmare.

2. Kristen Oneal
    January 20, 2015 at 7:08 pm (1 year ago)

I just started working out again this week and tried a version of this recipe I found on another blog minus the protein powder which was a huge mistake because I was so hungry afterwards : ) Gotta get me some protein powder.

• Julie Ruble
      January 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm (1 year ago)

Yes!! And a schmear of nut butter :)

3. Emily
    January 20, 2015 at 10:29 pm (1 year ago)

Count me in for pancakes, count me out for hot yoga. Ha! I’m pretty sure I would pass out. I do believe in the toxin release- but I would rather relax in a sauna or get a wrap at the spa!

4. Kelly @ TastingPage
    January 21, 2015 at 1:35 am (1 year ago)

I’m in for yoga and these pancakes. Thanks for sharing!

5. Liz
    January 21, 2015 at 6:55 am (1 year ago)

I am way too unbendy and uncoordinated to have jumped into a hot yoga class where everyone knew what was going on except me. Brava! Thank goodness I started when my instructor was just learning herself. Now I need to figure out why we never do the couch potato pose–I think I could master that in an instant. But first I need some pancakes!

6. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
    January 21, 2015 at 7:40 am (1 year ago)

Pancakes are my absolute fav! Especially when they’re protein packed…I can’t wait to try these! Pinned!

7. Kristen
    January 21, 2015 at 7:57 am (1 year ago)

That’s awesome that you tried something out of your comfort zone! I’ve been trying some new classes too and although its freaky at first, it’s fun! These sound quick and easy and I love the idea of adding the protien powder so you can stay full longer. Great idea!

8. amanda @ fake ginger
    January 21, 2015 at 9:20 am (1 year ago)

I would love to try hot yoga but I have so much anxiety about any kind of group exercise class. Gahhhh. I’m going to use you as inspiration though and if a Groupon comes through my inbox, I’m going for it.

Love these! I’ve been just doing banana + egg pancakes but I bet the vanilla protein powder made them extra delicious!

• Bessbest
      March 4, 2015 at 11:05 pm (1 year ago)

Just go for it and do it. Hot yoga is the best. I love Hot yoga.

9. Joanie @ ZagLeft
    January 21, 2015 at 9:58 am (1 year ago)

I love a good pancake recipe and I’ll have to try these.

I also love yoga but only the more relaxing and non sweaty kind. I’ve never tried hot yoga, maybe if a coupon comes through my inbox, I just might.

10. heather @french press
    January 21, 2015 at 10:31 am (1 year ago)

I am definitely NOT a hot yoga person, but man I do love pancakes!

11. GiGi Eats
    January 21, 2015 at 6:23 pm (1 year ago)

MMMMM! The less ingredients the better! I probably wouldn’t even use a banana in this recipe! :)

SO GOOD – makes me wanna make em for dinner!

• Bri
      March 5, 2015 at 10:13 am (1 year ago)

But…bananas are the main ingredient lol.

• Mich
        January 28, 2016 at 10:47 pm (5 months ago)

Right!! Otherwise she’s frying an egg. Period 😉

12. Meg @ The Housewife in Training Files
    January 21, 2015 at 9:13 pm (1 year ago)

I just went to my first hot yoga class tonight and actually loved it! Good for you for trying to get into it more! Its definitely a love hate relationship…unlike these pancakes! I make my hubby the 2 ingredient pancake so I can’t wait to try this one!

13. Joanna
    January 22, 2015 at 11:50 pm (1 year ago)

Can’t wait to click on your slideshow of simple, healthy meals. Thanks for sharing! When I share your lovely food, people always ask for a copy of the recipe :-)

14. Christie
    January 23, 2015 at 8:35 am (1 year ago)

Love the added protein in these, plus they are so simple.

15. Amy | Club Narwhal
    January 23, 2015 at 1:20 pm (1 year ago)

This is amazing! Hot yoga has always instilled fear in my heart because humidity is my arch enemy. But maybe I will brave it, if only to get out of the winter cold :) Also, these protein pancakes are winning on every level!

16. Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen
    March 8, 2015 at 12:29 pm (1 year ago)

Pancakes are my favorite breakfast and I love starting my day with protein. Can’t wait to try these! I fell in love with yoga a few years ago after spending years thinking I would hate it. I’ve never done a hot yoga class, but have been trying to work up the courage to give it a try. I don’t do well with heat and I’m so worried that I will pass out!

17. Valerie
    March 8, 2015 at 12:30 pm (1 year ago)

I can’t wait to make these, my boys will gobble them up. I like to make big batches of pancakes and freeze them and these look they’ll work great for that.

18. Patricia Russo
    March 11, 2015 at 7:45 pm (1 year ago)

My husband and I are health conscious so can’t wait to try your protein pancakes. I love the versatility of the recipe and will make a batch soon. Thanks for sharing this new version of pancakes with us. Patricia Russo

19. Rosemarie Groner
    April 27, 2015 at 8:39 pm (1 year ago)

I came for the pancake recipe and then spent the next 10 minutes cracking up over hot yoga. Loved it!

20. Meaghan
    May 4, 2015 at 12:19 pm (1 year ago)

great recipe! I added 1T of coconut flour to thicken the batter up a tinsy bit and blueberries for fun :) I can
    Honestly say that I won’t be missing the real deal. These are amazing AND I don’t have to feel like I “cheated” after having them! Thank u for this recipe!

21. Kristina
    June 28, 2015 at 8:54 pm (12 months ago)

could you freeze these after making them?

• Julie Ruble
      June 28, 2015 at 9:32 pm (12 months ago)

Kristina, I haven’t tried it so I can’t vouch for it. If I froze them, I’d wrap them well individually and then thaw overnight in the fridge and warm up just a few seconds in the microwave to avoid a rubbery texture. Enjoy!

22. Debbie
    July 11, 2015 at 6:25 pm (12 months ago)

I’m STILL LAUGHING about the yoga!!!! My daughter has taught hot yoga for several years and loves it.
    I have ZERO coordination and I can’t concentrate on a pose AND my breathing at the same time!!!
    I cannot wait to try these pancakes, they sound yummy

23. Jane
    July 27, 2015 at 7:48 pm (11 months ago)

Do you approximately how many grams of protein are in a pancake?

• Julie Ruble
      July 27, 2015 at 8:50 pm (11 months ago)

Sorry, Jane, I’m not sure! I always use SparkPeople’s recipe nutrition calculator for these sorts of questions, but it will depend on what sort of protein powder you choose.

24. kristen
    July 29, 2015 at 11:30 pm (11 months ago)

Have you ever used an egg replacer in this recipe? I wonder how it would fare?

• Julie Ruble
      August 3, 2015 at 10:22 am (11 months ago)

Hi Kristen! I haven’t tried it and my hunch is that it wouldn’t work, since the egg is the main and only binder here, but you never know!

25. Rachel
    August 20, 2015 at 9:24 pm (10 months ago)

I have tried a few healthy protein pancake recipes and they’ve all been pretty gross but these are truly DELICIOUS and sooo easy! I added some berries to mine and topped them with strawberries and rice malt syrup :)

26. Amanda
    August 27, 2015 at 11:19 am (10 months ago)

These are delicious. I was naughty and added chocolate chips. In hindsight, I also would have included a dash of salt.

27. Nicole
    September 23, 2015 at 2:33 pm (9 months ago)

Do you think this would work with a pea/ vegan protein powder? I am allergic to whey

• Julie Ruble
      September 24, 2015 at 6:52 pm (9 months ago)

Yes, I think so!

28. Rachel
    October 28, 2015 at 4:54 pm (8 months ago)

Hi

These pancakes sound so yummy! And I just bought a new brand of protein which is super delicious so I am really excited to try these out!

Do you think you could sub one of the whole eggs, say for 2-3 egg whites instead. Or would that be too runny?

Also could you blend all the ingredients as opposed to mashing and whisking (lazy chef life lol).

Thanks!

• Julie Ruble
      December 10, 2015 at 8:55 pm (7 months ago)

I haven’t tried these adaptations, so I’m not sure, Rachel! If you try them, let me know.

29. Minique
    December 10, 2015 at 8:42 pm (7 months ago)

These turned out extremely watery for me. Too bad. ):

• Julie Ruble
      December 10, 2015 at 8:56 pm (7 months ago)

That is too bad! Sorry that happened, Minique — it hasn’t happened to me and I’m not sure what the issue could’ve been. Was the mixture well combined? Was the skillet hot enough?

30. Sharon
    December 19, 2015 at 7:44 am (6 months ago)

Morning! Can you use egg whites instead and do you know the weight measurement of the banana (estimate)? TIA

31. Chelsea
    January 6, 2016 at 3:21 pm (6 months ago)

Yours look WAYYYY better than mine…

• Julie Ruble
      January 6, 2016 at 3:32 pm (6 months ago)

They probably won’t be particularly pretty and round and less you use a sprayed metal cookie cutter or something to cook them in. I used a metal ring.

32. Alyssa Andrus
    January 9, 2016 at 7:25 pm (6 months ago)

Is anyone familiar with food tracking on the app my fitness app? I’m having a hard time figuring out how to add these pancakes into Mt my app. Also, I made my pancakes in bulk, I made 50 of them and froze them so they could be a quick and easy source of protien as I’m headed to work. Just need to figure out how to get it put in my fitness app! Thanks for any help! Much appreciated

• Angela
      January 13, 2016 at 5:29 pm (5 months ago)

Hi! To add the recipe in MFP, just click on FOOD in the lighter blue bar toward the top of the page, then click on Recipes in the darker blue bar. Then you’ll see where you can import the recipe, add it manually or use the old recipe calculator (on the right of the page). Hope that helps. Good luck!

33. Stephanie
    January 10, 2016 at 8:33 am (6 months ago)

I make a version of these weekly and my girls love them! I have not tried protein powder but I use a a bit of old fashioned oats to add bulk to fill u up a bit more. And a bit of honey. No syrup needed for these! I’ll be adding protein powder next time for sure!!!

34. M.
    January 11, 2016 at 1:55 pm (6 months ago)

I found they burn easy, but taste AMAZING!

35. Kudzi
    January 25, 2016 at 2:30 am (5 months ago)

I love these pancakes. They’re super delicious. I was a bit skeptical of the protein powder (I’ve never cooked with one) but they turned out really well.

36. Dawn
    January 31, 2016 at 5:46 am (5 months ago)

Hi, I love this recipe. Have you ever made a batch and reheated the next day? I was thinking of making some & taking to work & heat in the microwave for my breakfast. Kind regards

• Julie Ruble
      January 31, 2016 at 10:15 am (5 months ago)

I’ve never tried it, but my suspicion is that it would be soggy upon reheating because it’s primarily composed of egg. If I tried it, I would freeze them and then reheat. Let us know if you try it.

37. Tsveti
    February 11, 2016 at 4:19 am (5 months ago)

Hi there! Is that a real picture of the pancakes?

• Julie Ruble
      February 11, 2016 at 5:35 am (5 months ago)

Yes. I edit for things like brightness and white balance, but all my photos are representative. I’m also very careful in preparation to ensure things look nice — hence cooking these in a ring to attain a round shape.

• Tsveti
        February 11, 2016 at 6:03 am (5 months ago)

I can’t believe they look so amazing and fluffy!

• Julie Ruble
          February 11, 2016 at 10:30 am (5 months ago)

Baking powder and a macro lens :)

38. Robin
    February 15, 2016 at 6:23 pm (4 months ago)

I just made them and were great. Added a small pinch of salt. Of course butter and Maple syrup. Will make a lot now!

39. Lisa
    February 18, 2016 at 2:57 pm (4 months ago)

I am allergic to bananas. Can you use something else in there place?

40. Kelsey
    February 19, 2016 at 9:08 pm (4 months ago)

How many pancakes per serving?

• Julie Ruble
      February 19, 2016 at 9:17 pm (4 months ago)

For ease, I give the calories per pancake so you can choose your own serving size. Personally, I ate all 8.

41. Deidre Fridolph
    March 1, 2016 at 9:22 am (4 months ago)

These pancakes were so simple to make and the most delicious!!! I usually use a ton of butter and syrup on my pancakes, but with this recipe I didn’t need either!! Also, they are so healthy. So happy I found a healthy alternative to regular pancakes. I will be using this recipe from now on. Thank you!!!😊👍

42. Jennifer
    April 15, 2016 at 10:03 am (2 months ago)

Unfortunately, these pancakes turned out really nasty :(

• Julie Ruble
      April 15, 2016 at 10:06 am (2 months ago)

I’m sorry to hear that. They are enjoyed by my family and others, so do you think something could’ve gone wrong? I’m happy to help you troubleshoot the issue. I will say that with just a few flavors (banana, protein powder), you must like each one to enjoy these. For instance, someone who doesn’t like bananas might not enjoy the taste.

43. john ARENA
    May 16, 2016 at 3:36 am (1 month ago)

no nutritional ?
    carbs?
    protein?
    fat?
    sat fat?

PASS

• Julie Ruble
      June 1, 2016 at 8:31 pm (3 weeks ago)

I developed this recipe and shared it with you for free, dear. You can do your own legwork.

44. Sara
    June 1, 2016 at 8:23 pm (3 weeks ago)

Could I use a soy protein powder in this to replace they whey?

• Julie Ruble
      June 1, 2016 at 8:31 pm (3 weeks ago)

45. Andrea
    June 21, 2016 at 10:32 am (4 days ago)

These are our new favorite pancakes! My kids are super picky about pancakes, they do not like it when I make them with almond flour or other “healthy” ingredients, but they love these and request them often, for dinner too! Thank you!!