Pumpkin Tres Leches Cake

by Julie Ruble on November 3, 2013 · 25 comments

Pumpkin Tres Leches Cake
Pumpkin Tres Leches Cake

Pumpkin Tres Leches Cake

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking using a pumpkin sheet cake recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Yield: 20 servings

A pumpkin spice sheet cake meets a tres leches cake! The whipped icing on this delicious, custardy cake is one of the best parts.

Cake Ingredients:

1 cup whole milk
1/2 can condensed milk
1/2 can evaporated milk

Whipped Icing Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup milk
7 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 7/8 cups granulated sugar (not powdered sugar; note: 1/8 cup = 2 tablespoons)
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 15-inch x 10-inch x 1-inch baking pan. In a large bowl, cream together sugar, pumpkin, oil, and eggs. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cloves. Gradually whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack (keep in the pan). Poke holes in the cake with the back of a wooden spoon.

In a medium bowl, whisk together whole milk, condensed milk, evaporated milk. Pour this mixture over the cooled cake. Chill the cake overnight.

To make the frosting, heat the milk, flour, and granulated sugar together over medium heat, whisking constantly. Once it starts to boil, continue whisking and heating it for around 7 minutes or until it’s very thick, like cake batter consistency. Remove the mixture from the heat and add the vanilla extract. Remove the mixture to a shallow pan and let the mixture cool completely (after a bit, I stuck mine in the fridge to hurry it along). Once the mixture is cool, beat the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until soft and fluffy. Add the completely cooled mixture and beat on high until you have fluffy frosting the consistency of stiff whipped cream. Frost your chilled cake.

Susan November 3, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Pumpkin and Tres Leches?! Ahhhh … you know my weaknesses!! One of my all-time favorite memories was when, as a youth group (teenagers), we would go and visit, and sing and read to the residents of the “Presbyterian Home for Widows and Single Women” in “the big city” of Philadelphia. (I lived in the ‘burbs just outside the city and going “to town” was always a dress-up occasion!) Once we finished singing for the residents, we got to spend time sitting and talking with them. I just loved sitting and listening to them talk about their lives; the stores were amazing; the things they had seen and some of the amazing things they had done; stories about keeping those “home fires burning” while their brothers, fathers, boyfriends and husbands were overseas; one story about how one woman and her husband paid off their brand new refrigerator “on time” by depositing a quarter once a week into a box on the fridge. The money was then collected every quarter — hmmmm, no pun intended … I think. Rich, rewarding, amazing life experiences that were so very, very different from my own. We usually went about once every two or three months and I so looked forward to that trip!! Thanks for that trip down memory lane! :D

Julie Ruble November 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Aww, I LOVE that memory, Susan! How totally sweet!! Thank you for sharing!

Elsa November 4, 2013 at 12:06 am

My grandfather passed away over the weekend, so for the last two days our family has spent a lot of time reminiscing about him, looking at old pictures of him, etc. One of the pictures we unearthed brought back a memory I had almost forgotten. My family is really into cross country skiing, and one day when my sister and I were wee kiddies (I can’t remember how old, I think I was about 5-6ish) we all went cross country skiing at a park in our city. Being young, my sister and I got really tuckered out before the end of the trail. My grandfather never liked to see his grandkids even a little unhappy, so he wound up skiing the rest of the trail with my sister clinging onto one of his legs and me being pushed along at the front of his skis. I have no idea how he managed to ski like this, but all three of us have the biggest smiles on our faces in the picture my parents took of this spectacle.

Julie Ruble November 4, 2013 at 7:33 am

Aww, Elsa. I’m so sorry for your loss, but also so glad you have this sweet memory of your grandfather. Thank you for sharing him with us!

Belinda @themoonblushbaker November 4, 2013 at 5:31 am

Wow I coulw have to believe this most unique pumpkin recipe on the food blogsphere to date. all that creamy milk and pumpkin? Yumo.
memories? I think it has to be being tall enough to ride roller coast for the first time. I am shortie so, I was always behind everyone else for rides. The thrill of the being scared is what I got. Now I am addicted to roller coasters

Julie Ruble November 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Thanks, Belinda! Love roller coasters!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar November 4, 2013 at 9:47 am

Tres leches cake is my FAV! This recipe is perfect :)

Julie Ruble November 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Thanks, Katrina!

Meagan November 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Such a beautiful cake, Julie! Tres leches are right up my alley and I love the idea of flavoring with pumpkin. Just lovely!

Julie Ruble November 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Thanks, Meagan!

natalie@thesweetslife November 4, 2013 at 2:58 pm

two weeks ago i had a major FAIL with tres leches cake…I wish I’d seen this recipe first!! Might have to redeem myself with it :)

Robyn November 4, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I’ll be making this soon!

When I was little I used to want to be a cook or baker in TV- namely on Blue Peter segments. So, rather than just bake in the kitchen, I used to take all the ingredients to the garden hut and do it there- then I could practice looking up at the camera and talking in the privacy of 4 wooden walls next to a lawnmower! I thought this was completely ok!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe November 4, 2013 at 5:36 pm

The Winter darkness is setting in here too, and it’s making me feel down in the dumps! It certainly helps to think of fun memories, and I don’t doubt that a slice of this cake would help too. Yum!

Joan November 6, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Would this work in a regular cake pan? I don’t want to buy the larger one for just one recipe

Julie Ruble November 6, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I use this chart to decide if the amount of batter for one pan is right for another size: http://allrecipes.com/howto/cake-pan-size-conversions/. Keep in mind that if you change the size of the pan, the bake time will also change, so check for doneness early and often. You also might have to adjust the amount of the milks mixture.

Josie November 9, 2013 at 10:43 am

Hi Joan, I just made this in a 9 x 13 pan, and it was perfect, just the right amount of cake to frosting proportion.

vanillasugarblog November 7, 2013 at 7:59 pm

wonderful!
sharing this for sure!

Blue November 9, 2013 at 2:59 am

every time fall slips abruptly into winter I find myself embroiled in some fight with nature. not now, I need a bit more time in the sun, or my garden is “winterized” yet. Winter just blows more rain my way and I settle down with all my favorite cook books and dream.. do i like this recipe, how can I make it mine, or different, I read chefs’ lives and am instantly transported to Italy and Poland on the culinary rugs of delectable dreams… by Thanksgiving I have buried myself knee deep in cookbooks and bios and to scramble to come back to the reality of actually cooking for the holiday not just to satisfy my culinery curiosity.
for a dark day, here is what I recommend. first get a massage. take a steam. clear away the gloomies. find that one cookbook you never have time to peruse. and steep your nose in and enjoy! the sun will pour forth in every buttery morsel you create! enjoy your smiles by giving them away like that well sought out acorn every squirrel seeks this blustery season! Be of good cheer. Visiting here.. is that for me! :)

Jenny @ BAKE November 10, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I love these little snippets of memories! it was so fun to read. This cake looks amazing, there’s something really comforting about a sheet cake, they have the perfect proportion of sponge to icing.

Dina November 14, 2013 at 7:55 am

it looks yummy!

Christine (CookTheStory) November 14, 2013 at 8:05 pm

My love of pumpkin is growing, especially this year with all the fabulous recipes. We always had a dog growing up (not the same one of course), and I used to just love how they would always be at the door wagging their tails and so happy to see me.

Tenise December 22, 2013 at 12:01 am

This recipe sounds wonderful, i’d like to make it for Christmas! Do you think you could substitute sweet potatoes for those who don’t like pumpkin?

Julie Ruble December 22, 2013 at 12:15 am

Thanks, Tenise! I think that will work fine — sweet potato and pumpkin usually function the same in recipes. Hope you love it :)