April Fool’s Day Cupfakes

by Julie Ruble on March 30, 2011 · 18 comments

Ah, April Fool’s Day! The perfect occasion to show someone you love them by playing nasty tricks on them and guffawing as they stand, bewildered, trying to figure out what just happened.

Orrrr you could play a sweet (well, savory) trick instead! Cupfakes are adorable, savory treats masquerading as their sweet cousins. At one time or other, I’ve had people mistake each one of the dinnertime cupfakes below for dessert! In reality, though, Deep Dish Pizza Cupfakes are fun Chicagoan deep dish pizzas topped with fluffy ricotta and a cherry tomato. Meatloaf Cupfakes are moist meatloaf with mashed potato “frosting” and colored salt sprinkles. Finally, my favorite: Cheddar, Chive, and Bacon Cupfakes with Avocado Frosting are slightly sweet, cornbready dinner muffins full of goodies.

One warning: when people are expecting to bite into a sweet cupcake and it turns out to be a cupfake, their brains do a little backflip of revulsion no matter how good your treats taste. It’s probably best to reveal your trick right before they take a bite!

Deep Dish Pizza Cupfakes

Meatloaf Cupfakes

Cheddar, Chive, and Bacon Cupfakes with Avocado Frosting

P.S. Only 1 week left in my Cheesecake Challenge! Choose any one of 9 cheesecake recipes to prepare within the next month. Email a photo to me by 4/5/2011 to be featured on Willow Bird Baking! Get more details about the challenge here.

Joanne March 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I think these are adorable! And you’re right…aside from the bacon I would never guess that anything was amiss. I really want those corncake ones with the avocado on top…hellagood.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 31, 2011 at 12:15 am

I love those things, goodness! I want some more! :) Thanks, Joanne!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking March 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

These are so fun! Going to go check out all your savory cupcakes… What a creative bunch of ideas for April Fool’s Day! :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 31, 2011 at 12:16 am

Thanks, Georgia!

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 March 30, 2011 at 1:21 pm

How funny! I’d never heard of any of those before! I remember when my sister was 3 or 4 and kept begging my mom to give her some of the guacamole she was making. I think she was certain it was frosting, for some reason. Finally my mom relented, and after taking a big bit, the look on my sister’s face went from this huge grin to the most confused look. We still laugh about it.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 31, 2011 at 12:18 am

HA, I love this story!! Too funny.

muppy March 30, 2011 at 5:29 pm

They would be so weird to eat!!! but i am sure delicious once you get past the mental hurdle :) perfect for april fools…..

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 31, 2011 at 12:18 am

Mental hurdle is the perfect way to describe it. Ha. Thanks, Muppy!

PJ Mullen March 30, 2011 at 7:06 pm

The cheddar, chive and bacon ones sound awesome. It would be April fools for real if I actually tried to bake.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 31, 2011 at 11:50 am

Ha, PJ, I know that’s not true! You’re a kitchen whiz ;) I love those CCB cupfakes, yum!

Maris (In Good Taste) March 31, 2011 at 4:28 am

These are just too cute! I love the name of them also. They look gorgeous. Can’t believe it’s April already!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 31, 2011 at 11:49 am

Thanks, Maris :)

Amelia from Z Tasty Life March 31, 2011 at 12:42 pm

hilarious! what fun…

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 31, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Thanks, Amelia :)

Tracey March 31, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Love these ideas Julie! I want the meatloaf one, especially with those mashed potatoes piped on top :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 31, 2011 at 1:34 pm

That piping job was a travesty, because I added too much liquid, but they’re so cute with drier mashed potatoes :D Thanks, Tracey!

Maranda March 31, 2011 at 6:16 pm

yay for cupfakes! I still want to try those pizza cupfakes. I’ve been working on getting my cheesecake post done all day…but as you can see from this comment, I’ve been a little distracted…

Samantha April 2, 2011 at 9:50 am

These are too funny. Love the idea! I’m going to have to give these a go next year.