Deep Fried Cake Batter Cookie Dough

by Julie Ruble on March 27, 2011 · 57 comments

Cake Batter Cookie Dough is like a birthday party. A sweet, colorful, happy birthday party with balloons and trick candles.

Cake Batter Cookie Dough Truffles are like a birthday party that, in addition to those things, has a bouncy house and pony rides from a pony named Whinny.

That’s nice and all.

But Deep Fried Cake Batter Cookie Dough is like a birthday party with all of those things — held on a flippin’ yacht in the French Riviera, with David Beckham serving you lemonade while Posh Spice feeds Whinny sugar cubes.

Oh, and with Prince performing “Raspberry Beret” in one of his funky outfits.

And with Nigella Lawson in the galley whipping up cupcakes.

And with one of those little bendy straws in the lemonade.

What I’m trying to say is that Deep Fried Cake Batter Cookie Dough is one of the best things I’ve ever had the pleasure of devouring. I mean, it was so good — an absolutely magical bite. I think it tasted a little like Heaven would taste.

And now that I’ve accidentally equated Heaven to a nautical birthday party with assorted celebrities (and Whinny!), I’m going to stop with that train of thought.

Back to deep fried dough. The buttery, cake batter-flavored dough encased in a thin, crispy shell was surprisingly light and pop-able. Despite being indulgent, it didn’t feel heavy or overwhelming.

Of course, I stuck several of them in a paper tray with chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and sprinkles to really round out the experience.

I know some of you are going to say, “Well, I’m not really a fan of frying things.” Me neither! Frying things is scary business. Hot oil splatters can result in burnt fingers and forearms, and the whole process kind of smells weird. And maybe you’re health conscious and frying is a dirty word in your house.

Listen, these fried dough balls are beyond worth it! I suited up in goggles, put my hair up, plugged in my GranPappy, got down to business — and came out unscathed. And maybe, in terms of health, we shouldn’t eat deep fried dough balls every day; but then again, we shouldn’t have tricked out birthday parties every day either. It would spoil the fun of the occasional indulgence.

I want to leave you with a parting plea. Turn on your inner state-fair-attending, carnival-loving, birthday-party-throwing child and deep fry some cookie dough.

Time to get a little crazy: What’s your ideal birthday party?

Deep Fried Cake Batter Cookie Dough

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking (cake batter cookie dough) and Taylor Takes a Taste (deep frying)
Yields: about 12 fried dough balls, depending on size

Batter Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup ice cold water
1 cup self-rising flour
2 tbsp confectioners’ sugar

Other Ingredients:
small bowl of cornstarch for rolling dough balls in
oil or shortening for frying
confectioners’ sugar for sprinkling (optional)
chocolate sauce (optional)
whipped cream (optional)
sprinkles (optional)

To make dough, in a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes until light, fluffy, and pale yellow. Mix in salt, flour, cake mix, sprinkles, and vanilla. Add water one tablespoon at a time, mixing after each, until you reach cookie dough consistency. Roll your dough into balls and chill until your batter and oil are ready.

Heat your oil to 375 degrees. To make batter, mix together egg and water. Add flour and sugar and mix. Roll each dough ball in cornstarch, shaking off the excess, and then dip into the batter, making sure the ball is entirely coated. Use a slotted spoon to place 3 or 4 balls at a time into the hot oil. Fry for 1-3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve with confectioners’ sugar, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and sprinkles.

P.S. Love that cute little checkered paper tray? Download the template here, print it on cardstock, cut around the outside borders, fold the tabs over and glue them.

P.S. 2 Only 1 week left in my Cheesecake Challenge! Choose any one of 9 cheesecake recipes to prepare within the next month. Email a photo to me by 4/5/2011 to be featured on Willow Bird Baking! Get more details about the challenge here.

Megan March 27, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Wow!! Julie – you are amazing. Deep-fried cake… incredible. They look as tasty as doughnuts and as stunning as profiteroles.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 27, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Thanks Megan! They were SO good!

VeggieGirl March 27, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Oh man, do those look sinful – love it :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 27, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Thanks, VeggieGirl :)

Taylor March 27, 2011 at 6:00 pm

This looks amazing! so glad to see it works with cake batter as well!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 27, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Thanks for the inspiration, Taylor!

Stephanie March 27, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Wow, this sounds totally amazing!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 27, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Thanks, Stephanie!

AYSHA September 13, 2012 at 9:41 pm

OMGG THIS IS SO SO PRETTY MAN I M NOT EVEN LYING I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THIS BUT I WANNA LEARN SO BAD

Joanne March 27, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I want David Beckham. And the French Riviera. And maybe if I’m really lucky, Patrick Dempsey will make a guest appearance. Hmm. need to make these. They sound beyond anything I’ve ever dreamed of.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 27, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Ooh, Patrick Dempsey — sounds like a perfect addition to the party ;) Thanks, Joanne!

muppy March 27, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Yes I am scared of frying and yes I try to avoid fringe food for health reasons but yes I will try this! Just not until September for my daughters birthday, she loves cake batter…..

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 27, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Woohoo! She will love these, I’m sure of it! Thanks, Muppy :)

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit March 27, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Mmmm…FunFetti heaven!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 27, 2011 at 9:54 pm

It DOES look like funfetti! I love the sprinkles in the cookie dough — they run when deep fried and make lovely colors :) Thanks, Betty!

Maggie March 28, 2011 at 1:32 am

Hey Julie… these look so fun! Just so I know if I am doing it right, are they gooey when they come out or are they solid? Best served warm or are they good cold (if they last that long)
Thanks for all the amazing recipes you share =)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 28, 2011 at 6:47 am

Thanks, Maggie!

They’re solid on the outside but gooey in the middle, and best served warm :)

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch March 28, 2011 at 10:42 am

I beg of you – stop the insanity!! You are killin me here!

I’ve always been to scared to deep fry and so far my hubby has banned me from buying one, (ha, he knows how dangerous I would be with one!) but these look amaze!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 28, 2011 at 10:45 am

Your husband might kill me, but I have to tell you for your own happiness: you can deep fry in any old deep pot — just pour in some oil, stick on a candy/fry thermometer, and fry away! Don’t be scared! As long as you have the thermometer there, everything’ll be just fine. Okay, I also wear goggles . . . :)

Crepes of Wrath March 28, 2011 at 11:13 am

I didn’t know anything this glorious was possible to make right in my own kitchen. Sounds like the perfect birthday treat for the husband next month!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 28, 2011 at 11:15 am

Thanks, Sydney! Hope he loves every deep fried dough ball :)

Kristen March 28, 2011 at 11:27 am

Oh my gosh – those little cake balls are about as delicious as it gets. What a great idea!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 28, 2011 at 11:29 am

Thank you, Kristen!! :)

Tricia @ {every}nothing wonderful March 28, 2011 at 11:29 am

Oh my gosh these look criminal!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 28, 2011 at 11:34 am

I definitely felt like someone should call the police or SOMETHING to make me stop eating . . . :)

Comfortandjoys March 28, 2011 at 11:39 am

I love these ideas! My son is having his birthday in the first weekend in June at a newly built plash park in town, so I need to bring everything with me in coolers.

Would the deep fried or chocolate covered cake ball be better?

The presentation is PERFECT- I am going to head over to my supply store to match it for his party!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 28, 2011 at 11:43 am

Thank you! I think the chocolate covered would be best for your purposes — the deep fried are best served warm, just a little while after draining them on paper towels. They might get a little soggy in a cooler (although I did zap some in the microwave after a few hours in the fridge and, while not perfect, they were tasty). The chocolate covered ones will hold up perfectly, though!

I love these paper trays for serving cute food! If you want to buy some heavy cardstock and make the paper trays yourself, here’s a template: http://willowbirdbaking.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/old-fashioned-burger-stand-burgers-easy-french-fries/ (right before the French fry recipe). Hope you all have so much fun!

natalie (the sweets life) March 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm

this is awesome…and looks prettier than the stuff I’ve had in restaurants thanks to the sprinkles! :) love it that you went out of your comfort zone in the kitchen. that’s the best, isn’t it?

my ideal birthday party? I’m pretty flexible, so long as it involves a pinata. Definitely had one of those for bday #24 :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 28, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I agree — stretching the bounds of your comfort zone is the best way to cook! You always end up proud (or with a fun story) and full!

Re: the pinata — I’m with you! That sounds like a great plan for birthday 27 coming up . . .

Helen S March 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Thankyou so much for the recipe!
I’ve been looking for something “birthday like” to make for a friends birthday. I will be using your recipe (and maybe putting a little cake frosting in the center of the balls before frying- inside out cake balls!)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 28, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Yum, that sounds like a fun twist!

Stephanie March 28, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Julie, this is truly amazing!! My mouth dropped open when I saw these fried cake batter bites. I wish I had some to try right now! Thank you so much for your sweet comments on my blog-I really appreciate it! I am loving your blog & am your newest follower. :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 28, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Welcome, Stephanie!! Thanks so much for following along!

Monica H March 28, 2011 at 10:55 pm

And this is why I missed you so much while I was away. Because you make eating friend balls of deliciousness okay to eat!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 28, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I missed you too! I’m so glad you’re back and that things are going well, Monica!! <3

Addicted Baker March 29, 2011 at 12:47 am

I think I just died a little bit inside. Never in my life have I wanted such terrible things for my body. Oh dear lord, how I wish I could eat one right now.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 29, 2011 at 12:50 am

LOL I love this comment. You MUST make them!! :D

Maris (In Good Taste) March 29, 2011 at 4:56 am

Those look absolutely fantastic. I love cookie dough and this just puts it over the top!!!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 31, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Thank you, Maris!

Bluej March 29, 2011 at 12:45 pm

those look to die for! can wait to try out the recipe for myself.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 31, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Hope you love them! They’re SO flippin’ good!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 31, 2011 at 6:50 am

Oh my! These look better than any donut I’ve seen!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 31, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Thanks Lauren! They’re like donuts on steroids :D

Maranda March 31, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I absolutely need to make these. But I can’t do so until I move to Texas because I would end up eating them all myself…and that’s not the best idea ever. OMG. I can’t wait to try these…wow!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 31, 2011 at 1:32 pm

You’re gonna LOVE ‘em!! I definitely ate most of mine by my lonesome. My parents helped some :)

Krystal April 1, 2011 at 3:32 am

These look so delish! Can’t wait to try them! :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking April 1, 2011 at 6:31 am

Thanks, Krystal!

hungryhealthyhilary April 1, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Hmmm…what a party….I think these little beauties are a more inexpensive alternative….I threw my own ideal birthday party….it involved build-your-own sliders, mac and cheese, Caesar salad and a delicious banana/pb/skor/chocolate cake!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking April 1, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Ooh, now that sounds like a fantastic party!!

Maile April 17, 2011 at 11:33 pm

What if you don’t have self-rising flour ? These look delish and I have 3 birthdays and an anniversary coming in the next 3 months … guess what I’m making, lol. My kids love red velvet cake, and I always make it from scratch, would that make a difference ? Though I could buy a box mix for these, and double or triple the recipe for our big family. LOL Thanks so much for sharing.

Vonté @ Sovereign Lifestyle Coordination August 27, 2011 at 10:14 am

Fantastic idea! I’m going to try a red velvet variety to go with a fabulous white chocolate and cream cheese fondue! Thanx for the inspiration!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking August 27, 2011 at 10:29 am

Ooh, that sounds amazing!!