4-Ingredient Slow Cooker Coconut Cake

4-Ingredient Slow Cooker Coconut Cake

5 from 1 reviews
4-Ingredient Slow Cooker Coconut Cake

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This coconut cake isn't going to win any beauty pageants, but the velvety bread-pudding-like texture and the melt-in-your-mouth coconut flavor will definitely win you over!
Author:
Serves: 8-10
Ingredients
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans coconut milk
  • 1/2 (7-ounce) bag sweetened coconut flakes
  • 1 package moist white cake mix
  • 1 cup butter
  • vanilla bean ice cream (optional, for serving)
Instructions
  1. Add coconut milk, coconut flakes, and cake mix to your slow cooker and mix until just combined. Place two sticks of butter on top. Cook on high for 2 hours. Stir the cake, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom. Cook for another 1 hour. Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream.

28 Comments on 4-Ingredient Slow Cooker Coconut Cake (VIDEO)

1. Amanda
    October 19, 2015 at 5:03 am (2 years ago)

Sounds delicious!!! I am curious if coconut oil would work as a butter sub? Love these easy dessert ideas!

• Anton
      October 21, 2015 at 12:05 pm (2 years ago)

I used coconut oil instead of butter during a pancake emergency (it was totally an emergency that we didn’t have pancakes and there was no butter available) and it came out pretty well. Worth experimenting with!

2. Urvashee
    October 19, 2015 at 5:45 am (2 years ago)

Looks delicious and I love that it’s so simple to make!

3. heather @french press
    October 19, 2015 at 10:09 am (2 years ago)

I can almost smell the coconut from here 🙂 it sounds and looks absolutely delicious.

4. Kelley
    October 19, 2015 at 10:59 pm (2 years ago)

Coconut cake in a slow cooker- yes please!!!

5. Barbara
    March 1, 2016 at 6:50 pm (2 years ago)

Can’t wait to try this! Coconut anything is my favorite. Four ingredients, crock pot, what could be better. Let you know how it turns out!

• Julie Ruble
      March 1, 2016 at 8:35 pm (2 years ago)

Enjoy it, Barbara!!

6. Vicki Buffolino
    April 21, 2016 at 5:50 pm (1 year ago)

Would melted butter work better maybe?

7. Kim Pope
    May 1, 2016 at 10:01 pm (1 year ago)

This looks so divine, but I did something seriously wrong! Mine turned out more like a VERY buttery coconut caramel. It tasted great but was nowhere near the yummy looking cake yours was! Any ideas what went wrong? I doubled the recipe and used an 8 quart crock pot. After 5 hours of cooking it was still a thick brown liquid. I used Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut. Do you know if that’s different? That’s the only type sold here. Thanks for th recipe… I hope you can help the desperate coconut lover!

• Julie Ruble
      May 1, 2016 at 10:16 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Kim, I’m not sure, but happy to help you troubleshoot! This should come out with a velvety bread pudding texture. What sort of cake mix did you use? And did you double the cake mix, too?

• Kim Pope
        May 15, 2016 at 12:43 pm (1 year ago)

I did double the cake mix. I think the problem was the cream of coconut. It was super thick (like hot fudge). Like a dummy I made it before I watched your video. That’s when I realized mine was waaay thicker than what you used. So thank you for your help! I’m trying it again today with the same products you used!

• Julie Ruble
          May 15, 2016 at 2:01 pm (1 year ago)

I hope it works out great today! Please let me know how it goes.

8. Jamie
    September 24, 2016 at 5:55 pm (1 year ago)

So…I had a 14 ounce bag of coconut flakes in my pantry so I assumed the 7 ounces was the actual measurement…but upon rereading, I’m thinking it meant a 7 ounce bag for an actual measurement of 3.5 ounces of coconut flakes. Especially when taking into account the way the coconut milk measurement is worded.

Can you please clarify for me? Unfortunately I didn’t consider this issue BEFORE I added everything to my slow cooker so….we shall see what happens in 2 more hours!

• Julie Ruble
      September 24, 2016 at 8:06 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Jamie! It’s half a 7-ounce bag, or about 3.5 ounces. I’m sure it will taste lovely with double the coconut too!

9. Cynthia
    January 25, 2017 at 12:59 pm (9 months ago)

I made it and it also came out like that buttery coconut caramel texture that one of the commenters mentioned.. I did exactly as the recipe called for (I did used the white cake mix, but it wasn’t Pillsbury)
    What did I do wrong??? Please help!!

• Julie Ruble
      January 25, 2017 at 1:03 pm (9 months ago)

Hey Cynthia! Maybe nothing — I’m wondering if the brand of coconut milk matters (e.g. more coconut cream in it versus more of the water/liquid)? It definitely has a custardy bread puddingy texture as opposed to a firm cake, but caramel texture doesn’t sound right. When you watch the video I posted, does your coconut milk look the same?

• Cynthia Y
        January 25, 2017 at 2:21 pm (9 months ago)

Did you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut milk?
        I wonder if that makes a difference…

• Julie Ruble
          January 25, 2017 at 3:23 pm (9 months ago)

I don’t think it’d make a difference, but I use unsweetened since the cake mix is already sweet. Are you sure your texture was different than mine? See 0:14 of the video and you can see that it comes out VERY moist, with enough cakey parts to make the bread pudding texture. But again, not like a traditional cake texture. But it shouldn’t be soup!

I think the main issue is the liquid balance may be unpredictable in the cans of coconut milk (e.g. one can may have more cream to liquid than another can), so you could try mixing your can well and then just adding less coconut milk overall just to be safe — the cake isn’t at any risk of being too dry! Hope that helps!

10. Cynthia Y
    January 25, 2017 at 1:57 pm (9 months ago)

I sued Goya coconut milk…

11. Katy
    January 25, 2017 at 2:53 pm (9 months ago)

Has anybody added some pineapple? Maybe a shot of rum… make a pina-colada thing? Wondering if the acid from the pineapple would mess with the creamy-ness, but I’m thinking not. Hmmm…. i know what i’m trying tonight!

• Julie Ruble
      January 25, 2017 at 3:18 pm (9 months ago)

Hi Katy, I haven’t tried it! The recipe is maxed out on liquid right now, so if you add pineapple (which gives off a lot of liquid) or rum, I’d suggest cutting down on the coconut milk. Enjoy!

12. Amy Harvey
    April 23, 2017 at 11:10 am (6 months ago)

First of all, this was delicious. But I think I would call it slow cooker coconut cake pudding, or something to that effect. Because mine came out like a thick pudding, my daughter said ‘that’s not a cake’….I used a little less butter, added a little vanilla extract, and the taste was wonderful. I served it like you do bread pudding, but instead of ice cream, I drizzled real maple syrup on top while it was warm, and it was delicious!

• Julie Ruble
      April 23, 2017 at 1:50 pm (6 months ago)

Thanks Amy! Glad you enjoyed it. I tried to make its texture very clear in the note but perhaps the title would’ve also helped.

13. pat shaw
    May 19, 2017 at 7:35 pm (5 months ago)

i am making this, this weekend…but i am adding semi sweet chocolate chips to it too…I will let you know how it goes.

• Julie Ruble
      May 19, 2017 at 10:34 pm (5 months ago)

Hope you love it Pat! Some folks have had trouble with it being too much liquid — I might try halving it and seeing if that goes better. Enjoy!! Miss you!!

14. Debbie
    July 23, 2017 at 8:34 pm (3 months ago)

OMG!!! I have been cooking for many years and found many recipes on the internet. This is my first time reviewing one. I took this to a party last night and have never had so many people ask me for the recipe before. This was absolutely amazing and it took all of my will power not to go buy some more coconut milk to make it again today. Thanks for my new go to potluck recipe!

• Julie Ruble
      July 23, 2017 at 9:19 pm (3 months ago)

Aw, that makes me so very happy to hear! Thank you for letting me know and I’m so glad you enjoyed it!