Lemon Raspberry Gooey Butter Cake

by Julie Ruble on September 5, 2013 · 19 comments

Lemon Raspberry Gooey Butter Cake
Lemon Raspberry Gooey Butter Cake

Lemon Raspberry Gooey Butter Cake

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking, adapted from one provided to St. Louis Today by Fred and Audrey Heimburger of Heimburger Bakery.
Yield: would easily serve 4-6 people

This was beyond fantastic. The gooey, fluffy texture of this cake along with the subtle lemon flavor was a downright ethereal combination. You’re gonna freak out when you taste it!

Crust Ingredients:

powdered sugar for dusting

Toppings Ingredients:
fresh raspberries
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 heaping tablespoons powdered sugar
lemon zest

NOTE: If you don’t have a skillet, I believe you can bake this in a greased 9-inch square baking dish (I’d use a glass one if you have it, and check it early and often. Remove when there’s some jiggle left.) Let us know how it goes if you try it this way for all the other skilletless people!

Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together cake flour, zest, and sugar in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until the mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling together. Press the mixture into the bottom (this step is a lot harder than it sounds, but be patient and use the back of a spoon to help spread/press the mixture down. I also stuck mine in the fridge for a bit to make the butter less sticky) and up the sides of a 10-inch cast iron skillet.

Make the filling: Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale yellow (about 2-3 minutes). Mix in the egg until just combined. Alternate adding the flour and evaporated milk, mixing after each addition. Mix in the corn syrup, vanilla extract, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Pour the filling into the crust and sprinkle the top with icing sugar.

Bake and assemble the cake: Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until cake is nearly set (mine was probably ready around 30). Some jiggle is fine — do not overcook! It’ll finish setting up as it cools. Sprinkle some more powdered sugar on top. Let the cake cool in the skillet for 2 hours. In the meantime, beat heavy cream and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar together in a bowl to stiff peaks. Pile heaps of fresh raspberries into the center of your cooled, set gooey butter cake, top with a mountain of freshly whipped cream and lemon zest, and serve.

Amelia September 5, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Outfits come and go. Unfortunately, so do tires. But, girl, husbands like yours are forever. Congrats, and here’s hoping your week improves! :)

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe September 5, 2013 at 8:23 pm

You are the queen of awesome gooey cakes. I bet a few bites of this would do wonders to help a person forget a bad day!

Kat September 5, 2013 at 9:32 pm

So you’ve got a crust, then a filling with milk, egg, and fruit…that’s a quiche…and quiche is totally acceptable dinner food.
Besides which, it’s Thursday, so that’s worthy of a celebration.
Dinner fer sure!

natalie@thesweetslife September 6, 2013 at 1:43 am

i totally allow myself to shed a few tears when necessary (or not necessary, ha!). mike’s a keeper!

Tieghan September 6, 2013 at 2:02 am

This gooey butter cake would totally cure my bad day blues, and yes I would so consider this dinner! Oh and I know I am repeating the obvious here, but whatever, Mike is a keeper!! Lucky you!

DessertForTwo September 6, 2013 at 3:25 am

oh, Julie! I’m sorry I laughed a little bit at that. But doesn’t he feel like such an amazing husband? Maybe it’s worth that. Sorry. If I lived closer, I’d bring you 100 gooey butter cakes :)

Sarah @ Miss Candiquik September 6, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Awww, poor thing!!! You probably could’ve seen me running down the side of the road (in heels) at that point. But that cake up there – heaven help me. This (and everything you make) is right up my alley. Here’s to a fabulous weekend!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough September 6, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Oh good gracious, when it rains it pours, huh? Good thing we have awesome husbands and awesome cake to make it all (mostly) better! :)

Juliana Loh @bilbaobab September 6, 2013 at 1:48 pm

This looks and sounds amazing! simple comfort food! thanks for sharing!
ps Love that napkin!

Jennifer-The Adventuresome Kitchen September 6, 2013 at 2:11 pm

OK- so you totally made me laugh this morning!!! Hope your outfit can get rescued by the drycleaner the way your car was rescued by your sweetie! You’ve got a keeper!!

Laura September 6, 2013 at 8:03 pm

OMG that totally made me laugh, seems like you had one bad bad day, the recipe was great though!!!

karen downes September 7, 2013 at 1:47 am

HaHa! You sound just like me. I would have totally thought about peeling out when someone was trying to tell me something bad (if I don’t know about it I don’t have to deal with it). You crack me up about the Sasquatch. I eat anything but breakfast for breakfast. Cold chicken wings are a particular favorite of mine. I am not saying this just to make you feel better but this is one of my favorite blogs. Have a good school year!

Renee @ Awesome on $20 September 7, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Man, that sucks! I hope you got that goo out of your clothes and that you get a chance to wear that awesome outfit again. I hope your kids were awesome that day and made you laugh instead of ruthlessly picking on you. I hope you had some of this cake left at your house at the end of the day. It’s gorgeous.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust September 9, 2013 at 2:40 am

Oh man. That SUCKS! I hate cars. Well, I don’t because I have to say I love my car or it’ll break, but I secretly hate cars because they always break when you need them.

This cake? Perfection!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 9, 2013 at 10:39 am

Oh, I most definitely would have cried. Sometimes letting the husband save the day is grossly underrated!

Olivia September 9, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Congrats for the blog!
It´s really nice, we follow you from Spain!

Jenny @ BAKE September 15, 2013 at 10:00 am

that’s the kind of thing that happens to me! this cake looks incredible! I hope you had an extra slice to make up for your car troubles!

fallconsmate September 30, 2013 at 6:33 pm

sweetie. when the weather is good and it’s a WEEKEND, have your darling man teach you how to change a tire, ok? *hugs and hugs* i’m glad you’re ok, and didn’t have the issue i did, which was a blowout at 55 mph when my toddler was sitting in the back seat…

we were both fine. the car was fine. and i got 4 new tires for mother’s day. *eyeroll* every woman should know how to change a tire, and how to at least identify what sort of oil her car takes and where it is poured into the engine. those things are necessary!

oh, and the previous year for christmas, that hubby bought me an emergency flasher kit that also had an air compressor to inflate tires, plus a set of jumper cables. i was THRILLED. it showed me how much he cared about my safety, since i drove 50 miles a day to work and back. *hugs and hugs* i am glad you are safe, and your hubby is wonderful!