Brûléed Twinkie Ice Cream Sundae

by Julie Ruble on August 26, 2013 · 18 comments

Brûléed Twinkie Ice Cream Sundae
Brûléed Twinkie Ice Cream Sundae

Brûléed Twinkie Ice Cream Sundae

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking
Yield: 2-3 servings depend on how much ice cream you use

Celebrate Twinkies’ comeback by setting them on fire and sticking them in ice cream.

Ingredients:
2-3 Twinkies (full disclosure: I couldn’t find Twinkies, so I used Cloud Cakes)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup coconut milk (or other liquid of your choice)
ice cream (I used Birthday Cake ice cream, but pick your favorite flavor)
white chocolate chips (or toppings of your choice)
sprinkles (or toppings of your choice)

Pour coconut milk in one small, shallow bowl. Pour sugar in another. Set these up as an assembly line. Dip each Twinkie briefly in coconut milk to coat before rolling them in sugar to coat and placing them on a plate. Use a kitchen torch to “brûlée” the Twinkie until the sugar is bubbly and caramelizing.

Place a few servings of ice cream in a bowl and top with brûléed Twinkies (slicing one in half makes for a pretty presentation), white chocolate chips, and sprinkles. Put a few spoons into the bowl and serve!

DessertForTwo August 26, 2013 at 2:48 am

I’m so happy that you’re in bliss right now :)

Tieghan August 26, 2013 at 3:08 am

Awe, what a sweet post and the second reason is the best! I love Harry Potter!

oh and obviously this ice cream is insane! Hoe do you come up with this geniusness!

Sarah | The Sugar Hit August 26, 2013 at 3:09 am

There are so many things I love about this. 1) you bruleed a twinkie 2) number 2 on your list of awesome things, and 3) I am loving all these sundaes!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) August 26, 2013 at 3:10 am

Congrats on married life! :) Love your list–after having lived with my boyfriend for more than two years now, I can attest to many of these great benefits as well.

And WHAT?! Bruleed twinkies?! Craziness :)

Barbara | Creative Culinary August 26, 2013 at 3:23 am

I will concentrate on the deliciousness of the Twinkies and try not to gag too much on the married stuff. Mine was a hound dog! :)

Karly August 26, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Hmm. I’m really feeling like I chose wrong when I picked a partner. My husband has no idea how to set twinkies on fire and put them in ice cream, and that seems like a really important skill for a husband to have.

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough August 26, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Aw, I love this post. :) And also, I love those Twinkies. I mean good gracious, I need those in my life, stat.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe August 26, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Setting Twinkies on fire and sticking them in a bowl of ice cream sounds like a pretty spectacular talent to me. I’d say Mike’s got it made! :)

Frances CW August 27, 2013 at 12:28 am

Congratulations on your beautiful wedding and married bliss! I’ve been following this blog since I left home for university back in ’09. Your posts and recipes have inspired me through good times and bad, and I credit you with the idea for my annual cupcake/cupfake banquet (which now works as a handy reunion party for my uni friends).

I check back here regularly, since reading through your old (and new) posts is a great source of comfort for me, in good times and bad.

Thank you for providing me with countless delicious recipes and ideas, as well as a ‘happy place’ online.

Best wishes,

F
X

Julie Ruble August 27, 2013 at 1:23 am

Wow, Frances, this is about the sweetest comment I think I’ve ever gotten! You really made my day (and made me a bit misty eyed to boot). I’m so glad I could be a happy place online for you and also to have been able to be a part of your banquets. Thank you so much for sharing!

Frances CW August 27, 2013 at 12:31 am

P.S. Just thought you’d like to know – the second photo on this post is showing up as “Sorry. This person moved or deleted this image”.

F
X

Julie Ruble August 27, 2013 at 1:23 am

Thank you! Just fixed :)

Renee @ Awesome on $20 August 27, 2013 at 5:55 am

I never would have thought to take a torch to Twinkies, but it sounds like a brilliant idea. I love it when I discover smart people.

Meg Jones | The Spatularette August 27, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Hi there! I’m a newish reader but have spent the last few months power reading through some of your old posts, as well as following along with the new. I absolutely adore your inspirational story, as well as your beautiful and inspiration photos and recipes!

Julie Ruble August 27, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Aw, thank you, Meg! I’m glad you’re here!

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper August 27, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Love this post, it is so sweet! And the bruleed twinkies sound good too. It’s been a long time since I have had one!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking September 5, 2013 at 10:34 am

Yay for happy marriages and for husbands who do dishes :)
My other half would love those Twinkies! Will have to surprise him on our next date night ;)