Drenched Lemon Cream Cake

Drenched Lemon Cream Cake
Drenched Lemon Cream Cake

Drenched Lemon Cream Cake

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking
Yield: 9 servings

Relish the end of summer with this recipe for Drenched Lemon Cream Cake: an easy lemon cake drenched in lemon syrup and topped with real whipped cream!

Cake Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup water
1 1/8 cups cake flour
1 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup sour cream
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
a few drops yellow food coloring (optional)
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Lemon Simple Syrup Ingredients:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Whipped Cream Ingredients:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
5 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 8-inch square baking sheet with cooking spray. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the butter and water to a boil. In the meantime, in a separate large bowl, whisk together the cake flour and sugar before adding the egg, sour cream, vanilla extract, lemon extract, food coloring, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine. While mixing, slowly pour in the boiling butter and water mixture. Mix to combine completely. Your batter will be very runny. Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet.

Bake at 375 degrees for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in several places comes out with a few moist crumbs. While the cake cools, mix the lemon juice, sugar, and water for the lemon syrup together in a medium saucepan over high heat. Heat until the mixture boils, stirring regularly, before removing from the heat and letting it cool slightly. After the cake and lemon syrup have been cooling around 10 minutes, poke holes throughout the cake with a fork. Gently pour the lemon syrup all over the cake (it'll seem like a lot, but use it all.) Cover and chill it in the fridge until totally cool.

Make the frosting: Beat together the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a chilled bowl with chilled beaters until the cream reaches stiff peaks. Frost your completely cooled cake with a thick layer.

38 Comments on Drenched Lemon Cream Cake

1. Amy @ A Healthy Life For Me
    September 2, 2014 at 7:29 am (12 months ago)

Wow, I wish I could reach through my computer and grab a slice of that cake. Delicious!!

• Julie Ruble
      September 2, 2014 at 8:11 am (12 months ago)

Come on over, Amy! :) Thanks!

• Judith
        July 23, 2015 at 12:06 pm (1 month ago)

Wow! I am so coming to visit you! Julie!Yes I know it’s a year ago..This yummy lemon drenched cake is just what I need at this minute! Oh how it’s wish I was your neighbour!sigh

• Julie Ruble
      September 2, 2014 at 8:11 am (12 months ago)

Thanks, Mallory! It’s one of mine too!

2. Jenny @ BAKE
    September 2, 2014 at 8:50 am (12 months ago)

I would love a slice of this to see out the summer it looks absolutely fantastic!

3. Connie
    September 2, 2014 at 8:59 am (12 months ago)

I LOVE what you stand for, Julie! And, no. I’ve never taken a private photo of myself or anyone else. It scares the dickens out of me to know how freely the kids of today are doing that and then sharing them online. Makes my heart ache for my grand kids. Oh, and thanks for this incredible recipe!

• Julie Ruble
      September 2, 2014 at 9:41 pm (12 months ago)

Thanks so much, Connie! If it makes you feel any better, I help my students know how they can safeguard themselves online :)

4. Steph
    September 2, 2014 at 9:12 am (12 months ago)

Your recipes always look fantastic, but I love your writing! I really appreciated how you approach important social topics respectfully and thoughtfully.

• Julie Ruble
      September 2, 2014 at 9:40 pm (12 months ago)

Thanks Steph! That means a lot :)

5. Emily R
    September 2, 2014 at 10:49 am (12 months ago)

I had to post this on my FB page. I absolutely love what you wrote. It’s astounding the kind of victim blaming that still goes on with this kind of stuff, and it drives me crazy that the media is referring to it as a scandal. It’s a crime, plain and simple.

I love your recipes! But I especially appreciate your writing about life and current events/topics. Thanks for being awesome! :)

• Julie Ruble
      September 2, 2014 at 9:36 pm (12 months ago)

Thanks so much, Emily!! That is so sweet of you to say.

6. A_Boleyn
    September 2, 2014 at 12:42 pm (12 months ago)

I love the bright yellow of this cake. I recently made a very small amount of limoncello and would like to use it in something where its flavour punch would do a lot of good and this cake might just be that recipe. :)

http://a-boleyn.livejournal.com/196128.html … my limoncello post

• Julie Ruble
      September 2, 2014 at 9:34 pm (12 months ago)

Love it!! I can’t wait to hear what you think — the limoncello would be amazing drizzled over the cake in place of the lemon syrup!

• Julie Ruble
      September 2, 2014 at 9:34 pm (12 months ago)

Thanks Mallory! So true.

7. Mary_D
    September 2, 2014 at 8:05 pm (12 months ago)

A friend shared this recipe with me this morning; tonight my husband and I indulged ourselves. This is hands down the best cake I’ve ever made from scratch, and so easy! Hubby is a lemon cake fan and was in raptures. Thank you, count me as another fan!

• Julie Ruble
      September 2, 2014 at 9:33 pm (12 months ago)

HOORAY! That makes my day, Mary!! Thank you for letting me know. So glad you enjoyed it as much as we did!

8. Kathy Walton
    September 2, 2014 at 10:20 pm (12 months ago)

I cannot tell you how much I love this post. And that’s *before* the lemon cake recipe!

9. Rani
    September 3, 2014 at 10:15 am (12 months ago)

First, I love what you have to say about the photos. Stealing is stealing, be it a nude photo or a car. I’m going to have to share it on my Facebook page.
    Second, that cake looks divine and I’m going to make it this week!
    What a great combo! Well thought thru social commentary and delicious baked goods? I’m there!

• Julie Ruble
      September 3, 2014 at 10:40 am (12 months ago)

Why thank you, Rani! :)

10. Ginny
    September 5, 2014 at 9:21 pm (12 months ago)

Can I double the recipe & make it in a 9×13 pan?

• Julie Ruble
      September 5, 2014 at 9:25 pm (12 months ago)

Should work great, Ginny! Enjoy!

11. Fran@fransfavs.com
    September 8, 2014 at 1:41 pm (12 months ago)

Julie, I’m old enough to be your mama–but sometimes it seems like we could have been twins separated at birth. Your comments are always so logical and on point that I’d be wary of anyone who would disagree with them. And your cake sounds fabulous–somewhat along the lines of a Texas sheet cake. I made a lemon version myself recently that was awesome and plan to try yours before the hot weather departs.

12. Rachel
    September 12, 2014 at 10:38 am (12 months ago)

Just wanted to echo everyone else saying I adore this blog :) Your recipes are always delightful, but more importantly I LOVE the non-food-related things you post. You just come across as so kind and thoughtful. I’m glad you are a middle school teacher, you seem absolutely perfectly suited for it and I super duper hope that my (as of yet nonexistent) kids will have teachers like you someday! (And yes, on this particular nude pic issue, I could not agree more with your assessment!!)

13. Lauren
    September 14, 2014 at 7:58 pm (12 months ago)

I could not agree with you more about the photographs. Women shouldn’t feel ashamed for being curious about or appreciating their own bodies, especially in the privacy of their own homes. Society makes me crazy. BUT, this lemon cake does look like a great way to take your mind off things!

14. Jen
    September 21, 2014 at 11:18 am (11 months ago)

I gotta say I came to your website for a cake recipe not read about nude pics. Very odd to say the least.

• Julie Ruble
      September 21, 2014 at 11:34 am (11 months ago)

My website includes my thoughts/stories and original recipes (“life lessons & kitchen confidence”). Sharing thoughts on current events or my worldview is what I’ve done all 5 years I’ve been here. If this isn’t what you expected and is somehow unpleasant to you, I’m not sure why you would attempt to make me feel like it was “very odd” instead of just heading to a different website. This is my space — why should I feel strange about writing my thoughts in it? And why would I change to try to suit your purpose for coming here (cake) instead of my purpose for creating a website in the first place (a space to share)?

Feel free to go to whatever websites you enjoy. I’ll keep doing what I like on mine, so it doesn’t sound like it will suit you.

15. Peggy Dietsch
    January 25, 2015 at 11:17 am (7 months ago)

Sounds fabulous! Could the recipe be doubled and baked in a 9×13 pan? If so, how much time in the oven?

• Julie Ruble
      January 25, 2015 at 2:14 pm (7 months ago)

Hi Peggy,

I think that’d work fine! I’m not sure how long it will bake, so just check early and often with a toothpick. Pull it out when the toothpick has just a few moist crumbs and no liquid batter. Enjoy!

16. Lecretia
    February 12, 2015 at 12:26 am (7 months ago)

This recipe looks delicious! I love lemon in my desserts! Do you know the purpose of the sour cream in recipe? I don’t eat dairy & wonder if I can leave it out or substitute?
    Thanks! Have a great day!

• Julie Ruble
      February 12, 2015 at 12:32 am (7 months ago)

Hi Lecretia! The sour cream is an acidic ingredient necessary to react with the baking soda and give lift. I’m sorry that I don’t know of a non-dairy substitute :( If you google to find a dairy-free lemon cake recipe, I’m sure it’d be delicious dressed up like this one.

17. Kate @ Veggie Desserts
    February 12, 2015 at 7:06 am (7 months ago)

This cake looks so amazing. And yes, women (and men) can do whatever they like with their bodies. Victim-blaming is terrible.

18. Mary
    June 22, 2015 at 1:53 pm (2 months ago)

Recipe sounds great. As far as the pics, I am an information security professional and I know how easily phone, computers, etc. are hacked. If you don’t want the pics out there, don’t take them.

• Julie Ruble
      June 22, 2015 at 2:19 pm (2 months ago)

Doors and windows are easy to break in. If we don’t want our things stolen, should we not have possessions at all? Clothes are easy to rip off. If we don’t want to be raped, should we avoid having vaginas? Are you catching my drift here? The responsibility is 100% on the perpetrator, not on the people living their lives. Let’s not derail the conversations about holding people accountable by discussing how the victims could contort themselves or their lives to somehow avoid being victimized. Things need to change.

19. Rachel
    July 27, 2015 at 7:48 am (1 month ago)

I made your cake for my husbands birthday. It was great! I shall send you a picture because I changed it up a bit. He told me it was his favorite cake I have ever made him. :)