Drenched Lemon Cream Cake

by Julie Ruble on September 2, 2014 · 28 comments

Drenched Lemon Cream Cake
Drenched Lemon Cream Cake

Drenched Lemon Cream Cake

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking
Yield: 9 servings

Relish the end of summer with this recipe for Drenched Lemon Cream Cake: an easy lemon cake drenched in lemon syrup and topped with real whipped cream!

Cake Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup water
1 1/8 cups cake flour
1 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup sour cream
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
a few drops yellow food coloring (optional)
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Lemon Simple Syrup Ingredients:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Whipped Cream Ingredients:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
5 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 8-inch square baking sheet with cooking spray. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the butter and water to a boil. In the meantime, in a separate large bowl, whisk together the cake flour and sugar before adding the egg, sour cream, vanilla extract, lemon extract, food coloring, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine. While mixing, slowly pour in the boiling butter and water mixture. Mix to combine completely. Your batter will be very runny. Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet.

Bake at 375 degrees for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in several places comes out with a few moist crumbs. While the cake cools, mix the lemon juice, sugar, and water for the lemon syrup together in a medium saucepan over high heat. Heat until the mixture boils, stirring regularly, before removing from the heat and letting it cool slightly. After the cake and lemon syrup have been cooling around 10 minutes, poke holes throughout the cake with a fork. Gently pour the lemon syrup all over the cake (it’ll seem like a lot, but use it all.) Cover and chill it in the fridge until totally cool.

Make the frosting: Beat together the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a chilled bowl with chilled beaters until the cream reaches stiff peaks. Frost your completely cooled cake with a thick layer.

Amy @ A Healthy Life For Me September 2, 2014 at 7:29 am

Wow, I wish I could reach through my computer and grab a slice of that cake. Delicious!!

Julie Ruble September 2, 2014 at 8:11 am

Come on over, Amy! :) Thanks!

Mallory @ Chocolate with Grace September 2, 2014 at 7:59 am

Lemon is one of my favorite flavors! This cake looks so fluffy and moist!

Julie Ruble September 2, 2014 at 8:11 am

Thanks, Mallory! It’s one of mine too!

Jenny @ BAKE September 2, 2014 at 8:50 am

I would love a slice of this to see out the summer it looks absolutely fantastic!

Connie September 2, 2014 at 8:59 am

I LOVE what you stand for, Julie! And, no. I’ve never taken a private photo of myself or anyone else. It scares the dickens out of me to know how freely the kids of today are doing that and then sharing them online. Makes my heart ache for my grand kids. Oh, and thanks for this incredible recipe!

Julie Ruble September 2, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Thanks so much, Connie! If it makes you feel any better, I help my students know how they can safeguard themselves online :)

Steph September 2, 2014 at 9:12 am

Your recipes always look fantastic, but I love your writing! I really appreciated how you approach important social topics respectfully and thoughtfully.

Julie Ruble September 2, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Thanks Steph! That means a lot :)

Emily R September 2, 2014 at 10:49 am

I had to post this on my FB page. I absolutely love what you wrote. It’s astounding the kind of victim blaming that still goes on with this kind of stuff, and it drives me crazy that the media is referring to it as a scandal. It’s a crime, plain and simple.

I love your recipes! But I especially appreciate your writing about life and current events/topics. Thanks for being awesome! :)

Julie Ruble September 2, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Thanks so much, Emily!! That is so sweet of you to say.

A_Boleyn September 2, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I love the bright yellow of this cake. I recently made a very small amount of limoncello and would like to use it in something where its flavour punch would do a lot of good and this cake might just be that recipe. :)

http://a-boleyn.livejournal.com/196128.html … my limoncello post

Julie Ruble September 2, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Love it!! I can’t wait to hear what you think — the limoncello would be amazing drizzled over the cake in place of the lemon syrup!

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate September 2, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Very well written, I could not agree more. Yet we always blame the victims.

Julie Ruble September 2, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Thanks Mallory! So true.

Mary_D September 2, 2014 at 8:05 pm

A friend shared this recipe with me this morning; tonight my husband and I indulged ourselves. This is hands down the best cake I’ve ever made from scratch, and so easy! Hubby is a lemon cake fan and was in raptures. Thank you, count me as another fan!

Julie Ruble September 2, 2014 at 9:33 pm

HOORAY! That makes my day, Mary!! Thank you for letting me know. So glad you enjoyed it as much as we did!

Jaren (Diary of a Recipe Collector) September 2, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I love LEMON! This sounds awesome!

Kathy Walton September 2, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I cannot tell you how much I love this post. And that’s *before* the lemon cake recipe!

Rani September 3, 2014 at 10:15 am

First, I love what you have to say about the photos. Stealing is stealing, be it a nude photo or a car. I’m going to have to share it on my Facebook page.
Second, that cake looks divine and I’m going to make it this week!
What a great combo! Well thought thru social commentary and delicious baked goods? I’m there!

Julie Ruble September 3, 2014 at 10:40 am

Why thank you, Rani! :)

Ginny September 5, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Can I double the recipe & make it in a 9×13 pan?

Julie Ruble September 5, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Should work great, Ginny! Enjoy!

Fran@fransfavs.com September 8, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Julie, I’m old enough to be your mama–but sometimes it seems like we could have been twins separated at birth. Your comments are always so logical and on point that I’d be wary of anyone who would disagree with them. And your cake sounds fabulous–somewhat along the lines of a Texas sheet cake. I made a lemon version myself recently that was awesome and plan to try yours before the hot weather departs.

Rachel September 12, 2014 at 10:38 am

Just wanted to echo everyone else saying I adore this blog :) Your recipes are always delightful, but more importantly I LOVE the non-food-related things you post. You just come across as so kind and thoughtful. I’m glad you are a middle school teacher, you seem absolutely perfectly suited for it and I super duper hope that my (as of yet nonexistent) kids will have teachers like you someday! (And yes, on this particular nude pic issue, I could not agree more with your assessment!!)

Lauren September 14, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I could not agree with you more about the photographs. Women shouldn’t feel ashamed for being curious about or appreciating their own bodies, especially in the privacy of their own homes. Society makes me crazy. BUT, this lemon cake does look like a great way to take your mind off things!

Jen September 21, 2014 at 11:18 am

I gotta say I came to your website for a cake recipe not read about nude pics. Very odd to say the least.

Julie Ruble September 21, 2014 at 11:34 am

My website includes my thoughts/stories and original recipes (“life lessons & kitchen confidence”). Sharing thoughts on current events or my worldview is what I’ve done all 5 years I’ve been here. If this isn’t what you expected and is somehow unpleasant to you, I’m not sure why you would attempt to make me feel like it was “very odd” instead of just heading to a different website. This is my space — why should I feel strange about writing my thoughts in it? And why would I change to try to suit your purpose for coming here (cake) instead of my purpose for creating a website in the first place (a space to share)?

Feel free to go to whatever websites you enjoy. I’ll keep doing what I like on mine, so it doesn’t sound like it will suit you.