Strawberry Cobbler with Lemon Cream

by Julie Ruble on July 3, 2014 · 12 comments

Strawberry Cobbler with Lemon Cream

Strawberry Cobbler with Lemon Cream

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking
Yield: 8 servings

A quick, easy, tender Strawberry Cobbler with Lemon Cream. Such a delicious summer treat! Eat it right out of the skillet for a special 4th of July treat.

Cobbler Ingredients:
2 cups quartered strawberries

Lemon Cream Ingredients:
2 cups heavy cream
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/4 teaspoon yellow food coloring (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the stick of butter into a 12-inch cast iron skillet in the preheating oven to melt.

In a medium saucepan, mix 3 tablespoons sugar, 2 cups whole strawberries, and and 1/4 cup water. Cook them over medium-high heat until the berries burst and release their juices and the mixture begins to thicken, about 8-10 minutes. I mush the strawberries throughout the cook time to speed up the process. Pour this mixture through a fine mesh strainer and discard the pulp, letting the strained strawberry juice cool (I stuck it in the fridge).

Remove the skillet and melted butter from the oven. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Pour the milk into the dry ingredients and mix until the lumps are gone (the batter will be very liquid) and then pour this batter over top of the melted butter.

Gently mix the quartered strawberries with the strained, mostly cooled strawberry juice. Pour this juicy fruit around the top of the batter. Do NOT stir this — just let it fall where it falls! Bake the cobbler for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and almost set.

To make the lemon cream, put heavy cream into the bowl of a mixer and begin beating on medium until the cream starts to thicken slightly (chilling your cream, bowl, and beaters first will speed the process up). Add powdered sugar, most of the lemon zest (saving some for the topping), lemon extract, and yellow food coloring. Turn the mixer up to high and whip cream to stiff peaks. Serve cobbler warm with a big scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and another big scoop of lemon cream. I like to eat it right out of the skillet, because I’m classy.

Lexi @ Lexi's Clean Kitchen July 3, 2014 at 5:11 pm

This looks SO amazing!!!!

Julie July 3, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I love this post! I taught high school English for four years to every ability level you can imagine in a Title I, inner city school. I struggled so many times with my relationship with parents. This letter encapsulates so many feelings that go through a teacher’s mind when trying to handle the parent / child dynamic in your classroom. Beautifully written.

Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker July 3, 2014 at 5:41 pm

This cobbler is perfect summer time dessert. I’ve never made a cobbler before so I want to try this out

Aimee @ ShugarySweets July 3, 2014 at 10:58 pm

This is one gorgeous dessert. And your letter is AWESOME too!!

Siunna July 4, 2014 at 12:15 am

What a wonderful letter! (love the swim teacher analogy!) I wish my kids were lucky enough to get a teacher like you- your students are truly blessed!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 4, 2014 at 8:00 am

You really are the best teacher!

And this dessert, yes please. I love all of your skillet creations!!

Annie @ Annie's Noms July 4, 2014 at 8:12 am

Just found your blog on Pinterest, this looks absolutely delicious!! Printed and pinned so I can make it! :)

dina July 4, 2014 at 8:21 am

oh wow this looks amazing. love the lemon cream!

Heather || Heather's Dish July 8, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I so needed to hear this from a mother’s perspective! My little guy is 2, and he’s the only one so far, so even though my parents are both teachers I can’t help but be terrified of sending him to school one day. But you’re so right in all of what you said, and I love the swimming analogy!

Julie Ruble July 8, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Thanks Heather!

Barb farup July 9, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I love this entire post! I have been an elementary teacher for 20 years and next year I am teaching middle school for the first time! I am also a swimmer. With permission I would love to use your letter, giving you credit of course. AND we are making this cobbler on the campfire tomorrow night for my parents 48th anniversary! :) happy!!

Julie Ruble July 9, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Aw, thanks Barb! Please feel free to use the letter. Hope you all enjoy the cobbler!