The Ultimate Gooey Caramel Brownie Mug Cake Sundae

by Julie Ruble on December 31, 2013 · 28 comments

The Ultimate Gooey Caramel Brownie Mug Cake Sundae
The Ultimate Gooey Caramel Brownie Mug Cake Sundae

The Ultimate Gooey Caramel Brownie Mug Cake Sundae

Recipe by: Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen
Yield: 1 mug cake

I took an already-great mug cake from one of my faves, America’s Test Kitchen, and pumped it up! I added some espresso to deepen the chocolate flavor and a slew of my favorite toppings from my pantry to create a dessert as decadent as one it takes hours to make. Throw this together at home when you want a special dessert but don’t want to get out of your jammies!

Cake Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chocolate chips (half bittersweet and half semisweet)
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 square of your favorite dark chocolate bar

Topping Ingredients:
3 Werther’s Original® Baking Caramels
2 teaspoons milk
melted chocolate chips
vanilla bean ice cream or gelato
crushed toasted nuts
crushed cookie
whipped cream

*NOTE: I used a big espresso mug for this cake, but you can use any regular size coffee mug that’s microwave safe. Different microwaves may require different cooking times, but your finished cake should look set up but very moist.

Place butter and chocolate chips in a coffee mug and heat on half power for 15 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until melted (about 45 seconds total). In a separate small bowl or ramekin, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate small bowl or ramekin, whisk together the egg, vanilla extract, and espresso powder. When the chocolate is melted in your mug, stir in sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in the egg mixture. Stir in the flour mixture. Stir well to eliminate lumps.

Microwave the mug on half power for 30 seconds (I set mine on a plate just in case there’s spillover). Stir. Microwave on half power for 35 seconds (the cake will rise over the top of your mug like a giant soufflé, but stay calm.) Press the square of chocolate bar down into the center of the cake (I broke mine into two pieces), being careful not to burn your fingers. Microwave on half power for 40 seconds. Let the cake cool in the mug for 2 minutes while you prepare your toppings.

Melt the chocolate chips by heating on half power for 20 second intervals, stirring between each, until melty. Melt the Werther’s Original® Baking Caramels by placing them in a small bowl with the milk. Heat on 30 second intervals, stirring carefully between each, until melty. Top your mug cake with a big scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, crushed toasted pecans, a crushed cookie (I used a Biscoff cookie), and the kitchen sink. Just kidding about the sink. Enjoy!

Jenny @ BAKE January 1, 2014 at 11:43 am

This mug cake sundae looks incredible! what a treat! Your resolutions sound brilliant, I really should try to be more mindful, it’s so easy to let the simple experiences of life slip through your fingers.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe January 1, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Goodness gracious, this looks fabulous! I’m saving this recipe for whenever my next intense chocolate craving hits! Which will probably happen today. :) Happy New Year, Julie!

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate January 1, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I resolve to eat more chocolatey goodness like this, as if there wasn’t already enough of it in my diet! haha Happy New Year!

Tara January 1, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Yes please, right NOW please!!!

Amanda January 2, 2014 at 8:19 am

I was moved to tears by #3… your willingness to openly and unabashedly serve our King is inspiring Julie. Thank you for that!! (and this dessert looks pretty darn amazing too!)

Toni January 2, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Hi Julie! Everyone is eagerly waiting for me to make this brownie sundae for the family! Didn’t realize that all I needed was a brownie to get their attention! ;) I was wondering though, which church you were talking about regarding the “conflicting doctrine” in which you grew up. It was an interesting entry for me to read. Thanks.

Julie Ruble January 2, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Hi Toni! Hope you love it! I grew up in (and am still part of) a typical American Protestant church.

Melissa @ My Recent Favorite books January 4, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! =)
Pinned to my Dessert board to try soon!

Becca January 6, 2014 at 2:02 am

This looks sooo good!

So interesting that you talked about mindfulness – because that’s on my resolution list as well. I really resonate with the whole way you were talking about goals and resolutions. Sometimes it’s better (and more effective) to get to the root of it all. It’s great to make small strides and changes, and those can add up – but sometimes it is real deep work that we must do first (or also).

Perry January 10, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Setting goals are real fun and challenging too. Now i got one goal to look forward to over the weekend;make my own “Ultimate Gooey Caramel Brownie Mug Cake Sundae”.
Surely the kids would love it..It’s really fun to have this simple goal done. I’m drooling by just looking at the pictures…

Elissa M. January 20, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Made this slightly modified due to lack of required ingredients. I didn’t have instant espresso powder, but I did have very dark brewed coffee…so I added a splash of that. I also didn’t have caramel or cookies. So I made a chocolate/peanut butter/coconut topping with some coconut oil, natural pnut butter & chocolate chips…& topped that with coconut flakes – it was heavenly (or IS..I couldn’t wait to comment, digging in as we speak!!) Though, I’ll be investing in some caramel & instant espresso & biscoff cookies for next time around!!!

Dani March 3, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I loved your article. I clicked on this for the desert but I wasn’t expecting a lovely piece of mind to go with it.
I just agree with you on so many points. Jesus really did come so that we could have life , and have it in abundance until it overflows.
I hope you continue cooking, checking off lists, and loving life.

Emma March 26, 2014 at 3:43 am

Where can you buy the Caramels from ?

Julie Ruble April 2, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Hi Emma, I get mine at my grocery store in the baking aisle. I think Werther’s website also has a link where you can locate a store that sells them.

Dan April 17, 2014 at 6:44 am

I just read your resolutions….I totally agree with #3. Jesus sacrificed himself so we don’t HAVE TO do any thing…whether it is adhere to a set of rules and regulations from a “religious” group to be accepted by that group or a mindset or behavior that has enslaved us.
Human beings are free…. if we seek the truth…and as Jesus said “I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life……”

Michal August 21, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Wow! that is one amazing cake!

Do September 6, 2014 at 1:40 am

Can we use whole wheat flour and instead of egg can we use curd, pls advice.

Kavita Acharya September 6, 2014 at 3:28 am

One egg per mug is too much for me, I hate the eggy smell – do you think I can reduce it to half an egg by doubling the other ingredients and making two mugs?

Julie Ruble September 8, 2014 at 8:10 am

I haven’t tried it, Kavita, but it sounds like it’d work fine.