Buttery Almond Stuffed Morning Buns

by Julie Ruble on January 5, 2014 · 25 comments

Buttery Almond Stuffed Morning Buns
Buttery Almond Stuffed Morning Buns

Buttery Almond Stuffed Morning Buns

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking
Yield: 24 buns

If you love yeast rolls and almond croissants, you’re going to adore these incredible Buttery Almond Stuffed Morning Buns. The buttery texture and incredible almond flavor make these my new favorite breakfast item!

Roll Ingredients:
1/4 cup warm water (100-110 degrees F)
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 cups milk minus 2 tablespoons, room temperature
5 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup cold shortening
2 tablespoons butter, melted, for after baking

Filling Ingredients:
1 pound butter, softened (I use Plugrá Butter)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 cups almond paste (this is about two 8-ounce cans)
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
dash of salt
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds, divided

Glaze Ingredients:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/8 teaspoon almond extract

Note: I don’t recommend halving yeast recipes; instead, if you don’t want 24 rolls at once, consider freezing some for later. To freeze some of the unbaked rolls, just wrap them well before the second rise and freeze them. Once frozen, pop them out of the pan all together and store in the freezer, wrapped in plastic wrap and in a zip top bag or wrapped in foil. When you want to bake them, stick them back in a greased pan, thaw them in the fridge overnight, proof for the instructed amount of time, and bake like usual. I also love making a full dough recipe and using half to make savory buns (like these or these) and half to make sweet buns for dessert. If you do this, just half the filling recipes and roll out the dough half at a time.

Make the yeast dough: Mix the warm water and yeast in a medium bowl and let the yeast foam for about 10 minutes. Put 2 tablespoons white vinegar in a measuring cup and then add milk up to the 2 cup line. Set this aside. In a separate large bowl (or the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook), whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and cut the shortening into the mixture with two knives or a pastry cutter until the shortening looks like small peas. Stir yeast mixture and milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well, kneading just a few turns. Transfer the dough to a bowl lightly sprayed with cooking spray, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and store in refrigerator overnight.

Make the filling: The next morning, in a large bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar until pale, fluffy, and smooth. Add in almond paste, dash of salt, and almond extract and mix until well combined — it’ll be a little lumpy, and that’s okay. Beat in egg.

Roll out the dough: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish (or two smaller baking dishes) with cooking spray. Turn the chilled dough out onto a well-floured surface and roll it into a large rectangle about 1/8-inch thick (I carefully cut the dough in half and worked with half at a time to make it more manageable; if you do this, just spread on half of the filling ingredients for each half you roll). Spread the almond paste mixture gently and evenly all over the dough and sprinkle on about half of your sliced almonds. Gently roll the dough up into a spiral and cut it into rolls, placing them close together in your prepared baking dish (at this point, you could wrap and freeze the rolls for later if you wanted).

Proof the rolls, bake, and glaze: Cover the rolls with a clean dish cloth and let them rise in a warm spot (I set them on my oven’s heat vent) until they’ve nearly doubled, about 2 hours. Bake them for about 15-20 minutes or until browned on top (if you take them out at just lightly golden brown, they may still be doughy in the center). Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter and return to the oven for 1 more minute. Whisk together ingredients for the glaze and drizzle it over the rolls. Sprinkle with remaining sliced almonds. Serve immediately.

Sarah Toasty January 5, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Always keep up with Dance Moms!

These look wonderful, will have to try!

Mom January 6, 2014 at 12:04 am

They look delicious!! I love anything almond!

Vickie January 6, 2014 at 8:40 am

Good lord! It’s a shame the way work interferes with baking.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 6, 2014 at 9:58 am

I want these so bad!! They sound perfect!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough January 6, 2014 at 12:24 pm

We tend to go all out and get fancy on off-peak times, too, and then settle in for delivered pizza on our actual anniversary. We just don’t like being boxed into the specific dates! I think our next impromptu celebration calls for summa these buns.

barnchic January 6, 2014 at 12:45 pm

These morning buns look absolutely wonderful . . . but neither my son nor my husband are great fans of almonds and almond paste. I was wondering how to, instead, make a raspberry jam filling. Would it be possible to simply substitute 2 Cups of raspberry jam instead of the almond paste? If I used 2 Cups raspberry jam, would I still need to combine that with 1# butter and 1 1/4 Cup sugar and 2 eggs?

Julie Ruble January 6, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I would actually use a different recipe to sub in the jam. I would use this one: http://willowbirdbaking.com/2013/02/12/lemon-cheesecake-morning-buns/ and add jam (with fresh raspberries if you have them!) instead of or in addition to the lemon in the filling. Personally, I’d whip up the cheesecake filling as usual without the lemon (if omitting) and spread it on my rolls, spreading on a layer of raspberry jam over top. Roll it up, and voila! Raspberry cheesecake buns :) Maybe I’ll make these to test the recipe for you. Let me know how it goes if you get it made first!

Julie Ruble January 13, 2014 at 8:12 am
Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe January 6, 2014 at 3:48 pm

You and your delicious buns strike again! I’m going to have a difficult time sticking to my resolution of more healthy cooking and baking now that these have caught my eye.
PS. You and Mike are totes adorbs.

pj January 7, 2014 at 11:05 am

I love the Lemon Cheesecake Morning Buns. But for these Almond Buns–does the dough have to be refrigerated overnight? Can’t they be made like the Lemon Rolls–assembled the day before–then baked in the morning?

Julie Ruble January 7, 2014 at 11:09 am

Hi PJ — Both buns have 2 proofs. The Lemon Cheesecake bun dough proofs on the oven the first day, is assembled, proofs overnight, and is baked. This arrangement limits the amount of time the cream cheese mixture has to sit out at room temperature.

These almond buns use the “default” way I prepare rolls: proofing overnight in the fridge, assembly, proof on the oven, baking.

The important thing is that there are 2 proofs, but you should theoretically be able to arrange the proofs either way depending on your preference.

pj January 8, 2014 at 11:31 am

We made these yesterday afternoon–our taste buds couldn’t wait. We made the dough, chilled in the fridge for a couple of hours, then made the filling, rolled up the dough (forgetting the sliced almonds, so we just sprinkled them on top after it was baked and glazed), let rise for two hours and baked. It was an instant hit. Even my picky middle daughter, had one last night, another this morning and took one to work for a friend. She had one minor complaint–she thought the dough in some places was too mushy, but I explained to her that was the almond paste. The only thing that would make this better is Nutella swirled in, but as is, it is quite delicious.

pj January 8, 2014 at 11:33 am

One more thing: I have never been disappointed with anything I’ve made from this site. I didn’t think you could top the Lemon Cheesecake Morning Buns, but these Almond Buns give me pause.

Gunn Iren Müller January 8, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Do you have a recipe for making your own almond paste please? That’s not something I can get here in Norway, but I would really like to try this recipe.

Julie Ruble January 8, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Hi Gunn! I haven’t tried this one, but it looks perfect! I hope this helps! http://candy.about.com/od/nutcandyrecipes/r/Easy-Almond-Paste.htm

Gunn Iren Müller January 13, 2014 at 2:10 am

Thank you so much! I will be sure to give it a try. :-)

Sorry for the late reply.

Joshua Hampton January 9, 2014 at 10:24 am

Fondue for two always sounds romantic. Congratulations on the anniversary, and thanks for the wonderful morning bun recipe.

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes January 9, 2014 at 11:14 am

These buns sound amazing. Pinned!

Jenny @ BAKE January 11, 2014 at 11:05 am

That sounds like a perfect anniversary to me! even if it was slightly accidental! These buns look delicious!

A_Boleyn January 12, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Congratulations on the 5th month anniversary. You know you’re going to have to celebrate once a year like the rest of the world at some point. :)

Your sweet (pastry) buns are so tempting that one day I know I’ll cave. I’ve begun a love affair with almonds and this is another tasty way of using them.

Conny January 13, 2014 at 3:46 pm

There’s no such thing as shortening where I live and I do not use lard. Can I just substitute butter? (Like that recipe needs more butter….:-))

Julie Ruble January 13, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I’ve never tried the recipe with just butter. They will probably have a different texture but should work. Let me know how it goes!

Abbie @ Needs Salt January 14, 2014 at 9:48 am

Oh my gosh these buns look so delicious. I could totally go for one right now with my tea.
Beautiful photos!
Pinned.

Emm February 17, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I’m dying to try this recipe, buns look delish! I am curious though, what is the purpose of including baking soda and baking powder in a yeast dough? I’ve yet to encounter this in my baking experience.

Julie Ruble February 17, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Hope you enjoy :) It’s all about the lift at various stages in the process. Yeast and baking soda both react when exposed to moisture, but the former is slow acting and the latter is fast acting. Baking powder reacts with both moisture and heat, so it’s the only one that the heat of the oven helps along. I haven’t seen it very often, either, but in these rolls, the result is a light and pluffy dough!