Brown Sugar Pop-Tart Ice Cream Sundaes

by Julie Ruble on August 20, 2013 · 13 comments

Brown Sugar Pop-Tart Ice Cream Sundaes
Brown Sugar Pop-Tart Ice Cream Sundaes

Brown Sugar Pop-Tart Ice Cream Sundaes

Recipe by: Adapted from Cuisinart with glaze inspired by Epicurious
Yield: 5 cups, or 10 servings

Remember eating Pop-Tarts every morning before school? Now you can relive your Pop-Tart memories with dessert. These sundaes were so amazing!

Ice Cream Ingredients:
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup sugar
pinch salt
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract

Brown Sugar Glaze Ingredients:
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/4 cup (half stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 brown sugar Pop-Tarts, chopped into 1/4-inch cubes, plus more for garnish

Make sure your ice cream maker’s bowl is frozen per manufacturer’s instructions. In a medium bowl, beat together the milk, sugar, and salt until the sugar is dissolved. Add the heavy cream and vanilla, mixing well. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or overnight.

Mix brown sugar glaze ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until they boil, stirring constantly. Boil for about 30 seconds to be sure brown sugar is dissolved. Pour into a heat-proof bowl and let cool completely before chilling overnight with your ice cream base.

When ready to make your ice cream, turn on your ice cream maker and pour the vanilla mixture into its frozen bowl. Let the ice cream churn until thickened (mine takes about 20 minutes but it depends on your ice cream maker’s instructions). Spoon the ice cream out into an airtight resealable container and freeze until firmer (I skipped this step and stirred in my glaze right away and it mixed all the way into the ice cream. It was still super tasty, but it didn’t have the “marbled” look I was going for. So freeze the ice cream until firmer if you want it to be marbled.) Stir in Pop-Tart pieces and brown sugar glaze, mixing just until the ice cream is “swirled” with the glaze. Serve with whipped cream, caramel sauce, and Pop-Tart stick garnish.

Tieghan August 21, 2013 at 1:48 am

I love this ice cream! I turned cinnamon rolls into ice cream and this reminds my of that!! I love the brown sugar glaze!

Barbara | Creative Culinary August 21, 2013 at 1:59 am

Love everything about this ice cream except that I don’t have a big bowl of it in front of me now.

Gina August 21, 2013 at 4:49 am

I really want to commend you on learning how to jump in. I like to think it comes with being more secure with yourself and your abilities and those you are teaming with, but some people never get it and actually remain pretty pessimistic about change and new opportunities.

Next, the pop tarts are in the ice cream? A-mazing. Love it.

Nicole August 21, 2013 at 6:36 am

Love It! Brown sugar pop-tarts were one of my faves too!

Jenny @ BAKE August 21, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I love the idea of putting favourite treats as toppings for sundaes! this looks brilliant!

Belinda @themoonblushbaker August 21, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Your new work environment sounds great! I happy it meets your expectations
This is such a down right delicious flavour. I am jealous I have to wait for my shipment of pop tarts to come before I can make this!

Amy | Club Narwhal August 21, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Oh, Julie, I was totally that paralyzed little kid (and sometimes still feel that way). I am so excited for you to begin your new year with your big ideas and big plans. Diving into the deep in can be such an invigorating experience. Wishing you the best this new school year (and am incredibly jealous that you get to buy new school supplies–I totally miss that)!

Coco in the Kitchen August 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Cin-brown sugar Pop Tarts were a terribly hard habit for me to break. I used to eat 2 every morning, religiously!
My waistline won’t permit such indiscretions any more.
But, a treat like this one is allowed every now & then!

Anita Menon August 22, 2013 at 8:30 am

I love the write up. Resonates deeply. Lovely pop tart ice cream sundaes.

Liz August 23, 2013 at 1:46 am

Ooh, boy, this is MY kind of sundae! Outrageously decadent…and totally irresistible. Good luck with the new school year!

Renee @ Awesome on $20 August 27, 2013 at 5:14 am

Wow, you were so lucky to have worked in such a supportive school. Not all teachers have such a positive experience. I fail to see how this sundae could ever be a bad experience. I can’t wait to try it.

Laura Dembowski September 1, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Love that you turned Pop Tarts into a gourmet dessert! I was paralyzed by fear when jumping into the pool to my dad too, but once I did it once, I wouldn’t stop.