Flan Tres Leches Cake

by Julie Ruble on May 5, 2013 · 20 comments

Flan Tres Leches Cake

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking, inspired by and/or adapted from Bake Love Give and All Recipes
Yield: 10-12 servings

If you love flan and/or tres leches cake, you’re in for a treat. This cake has an incredible flavor and an even more fantastic texture. It’s also surprisingly easy to whip up. It’s perfect for Cinco de Mayo, but I hope you’ll make it all year long.

Flan Ingredients:
1 (13.4-ounce) can can dulce de leche (or make your own)
3 eggs
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cake Ingredients:
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 eggs (To get 1/2 egg, break one egg into a bowl and lightly beat it; discard half)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Tres Leches Ingredients:
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and spray a 10-inch bundt cake pan really well with cooking spray. Pour the dulce de leche evenly over the bottom of the pan and set aside.

Make the flan batter: In a large bowl, mix together the 3 eggs, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1 can evaporated milk, and vanilla extract until well combined. Pour this mixture evenly over the dulce de leche layer.

Make the cake batter: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl (if you used a spatula to scrape all your flan batter out of its bowl, just use that one again), cream together the butter and sugar until pale yellow and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add in the 2 1/2 eggs and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and mix well. Add the dry ingredients slowly, mixing after each addition. Pour batter over the flan layer in the bundt cake pan (it’ll sink in a bit — no worries). Bake for 40-45 minutes or until tester inserted into just the cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Pierce the cake several times with a skewer or fork. Let the cake cool.

Drench the cake: Whisk together 1/2 cup whole milk, 1/4 can condensed milk, and 1/4 can evaporated milk. Pour this mixture over the top of the cooled cake. Cover and chill the cake overnight (or at least a couple of hours, I’d say — you want the mixture all to sink into the cake) before loosening with a thin knife or spatula all around the sides. Carefully invert onto a serving plate (caramel and milks will ooze — it’s a saucy dish — so one that has a shallow lip or even a slightly bowl-like platter is ideal). Whip up the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to stiff peaks and dollop or pipe it all around the cake. Serve chilled with strawberries.

Lisa @ Who Stole My Baby? May 5, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Aww, poor couch. We’re excited to get a pet once we move out of our apartment, but we’re certainly not looking forward to this kind of thing.

Nora H May 5, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I know it’s too late know, but I had an unaltered male (he was VERY soon after this happened) that sprayed my leather boots. Sprayed them good with Lysol, put them in a bag in the garage and forgot about them for a few weeks. I had those boots for years after and never an “off” odor wet or dry. So sorry about your couch!

Sarah May 5, 2013 at 10:30 pm

If there’s one thing having pets has taught me, it’s that possessions are not forever! And that I should try and be less attached to them, for they will inevitably be chewed or stunk up or peed on. But I love my puppy to bits, so it makes up for it! And so does the thought of this flan!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar May 6, 2013 at 12:26 am

This cake looks killer! Love this recipe!

A_Boleyn May 6, 2013 at 3:17 am

Of course I love flan but have never tried a tres leche cake as I had the impression they were just too soggy for my taste. Your combo cake looks magnificent but a it is a bit too rich to make for just myself to enjoy. Maybe if there is a special occasion.

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes May 6, 2013 at 3:59 am

I love this cake, just like it looks like lil’ kitteh does, too! Anything with a tres leches soak is so perfectly delicious and fun to enjoy throughout the summer in my mind. Lovely post and recipe!

Pat May 6, 2013 at 12:15 pm

This will certainly break my diet!!!
I solved the door problem by crocheting a strip that wraps from inside knob of door to outside of door. It’s about 3-4″ wide with slots for the door knobs. Door closes with a gap so cat can open it,

Amy | Club Narwhal May 6, 2013 at 12:37 pm

You are an evil, evil, fabulous genius!!!! I am kind of terrified to make flan of any sort, but when you combine it with tres leches I’m pretty much cannot resist. Can’t wait to try this!

Ala May 6, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Glad you’re so forgiving! I’m not sure if I would be–although who am I kidding, I’m a total sucker for cats (especially ones that might pounce on a poodle like this http://lavender-ice.tumblr.com/post/49519807147/cat-pounce-mauls-dog). This recipe looks awesome!

Susi Matthews May 6, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry! And not to add salt to the wound, but I have a fool-proof solution to the cat pee smell. To a squirt bottle, add half water and half….vodka. Yes, vodka; the cheapest you can find. Squirt that on the pee smell and let it soak in. Do it repeatedly until the pee smell it gone.

How do I know this? I was getting ready to travel to England to portray Queen Elizabeth I and my sweet cat (bless his heart! He left us in ’03 but still, bless his heart) peed on the bodice of my costume. The day before I was leaving! Talk about panic! I tried this belly dancers’ trick, since they have sequinned costumes that can’t be dry cleaned and they sweat a lot, of course. It really did the trick; I wore that costume in England and still have it and there is no pee smell.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe May 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Oh, sweet pets! Our lives would certainly be much less interesting without them!
What an incredible cake!

Ariel Boswell May 6, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Mmm this sounds amazing, and like the perfect combination of desserts!! I am sorry about your couch, but – things are things, animals are people! :)

Sandra May 6, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Wicked, sinful, indulgent, too good to be true, Mine!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen May 7, 2013 at 1:23 am

Oh dear, bless your kitty! Your cake looks absolutely divine. I made a Tres Leches cake with strawberries and cream too, but I love that yours is a flan as well!

Kathy May 7, 2013 at 1:44 am

Your cake looks beautiful. I have never had Tres Leches Cake but have wanted to try it. This looks incredibly decadent!

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onion May 7, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I was kidding when I told my step-daughter that I would make her a flan for her birthday… now I’m not so sure… this looks great… PS, I love your cat!

Nel May 18, 2013 at 12:21 pm

That flan looks lovely, and Buckle looks like a lovely cat! So pretty!

PapaLos - The Man, The Chef, The Dad May 20, 2013 at 5:03 pm

We’re considering getting a cat but the furniture and basically everything else is making my wife hesitant. If this happened to our $600 couch you can rest assured someone in our immediate area would have inherited a cat.

And my God… I’m glad you cleared it up in the first paragraph because a Flan Tres Leches Cake sounds downright insane! And it looks sooooo amazing. I want some bad.

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) May 22, 2013 at 6:52 pm

This cake is just so gorgeous1 I think I’m in love!