Ten Favorite Recipes from Willow Bird Baking This Year

by Julie Ruble on August 31, 2012 · 14 comments

I just moved to a new apartment, and my new kitchen is filled with boxes, boxes, boxes! A new recipe is coming your way soon, but in the meantime, I thought I’d tide you over with some of my absolute favorite recipes so far in 2012. This is a hard post to write, and not just because I don’t have an internet connection at my new apartment yet.

(Did I mention that, by the way? To some of us, not having an internet connection sounds kind of like not having oxygen, but I’m actually enjoying the radio silence. My evenings are spent reading with little Byrd beside me. Nevertheless, I’ve missed quite enough important email, thank you very much. The internet will be installed next week.)

The real reason this post is hard to write, though, is because it’s so hard to narrow my favorite recipes down to just ten! In fact, I started out intending to pick my favorite ten recipes of all time — and quickly realized that was crazy talk. There’s been a lot of internal debate just to narrow it down to ten from this year.

If a recipe is sitting here in this post, it means for all sorts of reasons — a combination of taste, preparation fun/ease, and overall appeal — it left a huge impression on me. These would be perfect recipes for a special occasion, a sweet family breakfast, or to impress that new gal/guy you’re talking to. Or to eat on the couch while watching Honey Boo Boo (oh COME ON, you know you’ve seen it! I can’t decide if I’m morally opposed to watching it or not — it seems exploitative, right? — but it sucked me in.)

Without further ado (or further Honey Boo Boo),and in no particular order, here are my favorite recipes so far this year. What are some of YOUR favorite Willow Bird Baking recipes?

1. Caramelized Banana Upside-Down Coconut Cake & Coconut Whipped Cream
2. Sweet Orange Florentines
3. Gooey Chocolate Skillet Cake Ice Cream Sundae
4. Chocolate & Coconut Cream Pie Bars

5. Pumpkin Oat Snack Cake with Broiled Coconut Icing (especially when served as an ice cream sundae!)
6. Pork Bulgogi Bāozi (Steamed Korean BBQ Buns)
7. Tres Leches Coconut Cake Trifle
8. Gooey Butter Strawberry Shortcake

9. No-Bake Fruity Cereal Treat Cupfakes
10. Buttery Coconut & Almond Morning Buns

kathy August 31, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I love all of your recipes. They always turn out and they taste awesome. I look forward to each and every recipe you post. Thanks for such a great blog. When are you going to write a cookbook?????

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking September 1, 2012 at 1:50 am

Aww, thank you, Kathy! That is too sweet. You never know! Maybe someday soon ;)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 31, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Well, now I want to start going through your archives again. You always have something amazing that I want to try.

Hope the move is going smoothly:-)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking September 1, 2012 at 1:49 am

Aw, thanks Lauren! It is so far. Except unpacking… LOL. I’ll do that eventually. Probably.

Amy August 31, 2012 at 11:43 pm

You obviously love coconut!! :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking September 1, 2012 at 1:49 am

It’s funny, Amy — I didn’t realize how much coconut was in here until several folks pointed this out. Guess my obsession is showing ;)

June g. September 1, 2012 at 12:27 am

These all look delicious! Especially the chocolate coconut bars:)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking September 1, 2012 at 1:48 am

Thank you, June! Love those bars :)

Carol September 1, 2012 at 2:57 am

I have made those chocolate coconut bars for a fellowship meal at church. Do you know that after spending the time making those, and taking in the wonderful aroma in doing so, I never got a bite?! I heard, however, that they were amazing! = )

Jules September 1, 2012 at 8:19 am

I’m surprised that the caramelized-onions-and-cheddar grilled cheese didn’t make the list. I made it for my boyfriend once, and he gets like a five-year-old when he sees I’ve put it on the menu plan for the week.

Courtney Jones September 3, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Every single one of these recipes sounds fantastic! :) YUM! I think I’ll make the coconut chocolate cream pie bars first!

Maddy September 4, 2012 at 9:56 pm

So it’s the middle of the night and I stumble upon your blog and……aaaahhh torture!!
Everything looks yummy! Berry cobbler, what?? Eyes popping out.
I am totally pigging out in the morning. T_T

Julio Baking September 25, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Good Lord. This is the perfect post ever. Thank you. I just tweeted it too.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking September 26, 2012 at 12:27 am

Aw, thank you!! I’m glad you enjoyed it :)