Krispy Kreme Doughnut Croque Madame

by Julie Ruble on June 1, 2012 · 32 comments

(Will it totally squander any shred of credibility gained from my New York Times mention and our fantastic discussion to post a doughnut sandwich right now? Yes? Oh.)

My 6th grade students and I take a field trip to High Point every year to watch a play produced by the North Carolina Shakespeare Festival. Shakespeare is the main event, but there’s another attraction in High Point that inevitably catches the students’ attention: the 60-year-old historic Krispy Kreme Doughnut shop on Main Street. It’s exciting to see the “Hot Doughnuts Now” sign pop into view each year, but the first year we went, the doughnuts became a major source of dissent.

See, I divide students into small car groups before a field trip so that parent volunteers can drive us. That particular year we had 4 different vehicles carting us to High Point and back. After the play, each vehicle arrived back at school and unloaded a group of tired, contented 6th graders — until the last car arrived.

When the door opened on that car, I watched all heck break loose. Each kid stepped out, much to the shock and dismay of their classmates, sporting a paper Krispy Kreme hat. That’s right: while every other kid had been driven straight back to school, this car had stopped for doughnuts.

My teacher sense kicked into gear. I recognized this moment! I knew it would come someday. This was the fateful moment when I had to whip out the line. You know the one (because you’ve either used it on your own kids or had it used on you). I looked around at all their outraged faces and said, feeling much older than I really was, “Guys, life’s not fair.”

They got over it. But since then, we’ve always made it a point to put “stop for a quick doughnut” on the field trip agenda. It’s lovely to see them all get out of their cars with paper Krispy Kreme hats and fun memories at the end of the day.

Personally, I have trouble “stopping for a quick doughnut.” It’s easier for me to stop for, say, a dozen doughnuts. In case you don’t already know this about me: I am wild for Krispy Kremes. Cake doughnuts are fine (only KK’s cake doughnuts, though; I’m not a fan of that other cake doughnut chain), but those yeasty rings of love are my kryptonite.

Last year I created the “Just Trust Me” Fried Bologna Doughnutwich (no really, trust me! It’s so good!) and recently I got a hankering for another version.

This sandwich is a take on a croque madame, which is a grilled ham and cheese sandwich topped with a fried egg and sometimes served on French toast. In this version, however, two original glazed Krispy Kreme doughnuts kick that French toast to the curb.

Listen, I know you’re skeptical (everyone gets skeptical when they see a doughnutwich, and perhaps that is the most appropriate initial reaction), but the melty Gruyère, salty ham, and creamy “sauce” from the egg yolk are absolutely insane with the sweet glazed doughnut. Maybe I should call this the “Just Trust Me (Again)” Krispy Kreme Doughnut Croque Madame? It’s probably a once-a-year sort of treat, but I hope you’ll give it a try.

What’s the “life’s not fair!” moment you remember from your childhood? (here’s another one of mine.)

One year ago: World’s Best Grilled Cheese (sharp cheddar cheese & caramelized onions on beer bread)
Two years ago: Caramel Fudge Brownie Cheesecake

Krispy Kreme Doughnut Croque Madame

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking
Yield: 2 sandwiches

Proving once and for all that I’m not a food snob, I offer you a sandwich on . . . a doughnut. The first Krispy Kreme breakfast sandwich I made was so amazing that I was ready for more. This time around I combined salty ham, melty Gruyère, and an over-easy fried egg on an original glazed Krispy Kreme doughnut to create a croque madame. The flavors are amazing together — trust me!

Ingredients:
4 Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnuts (or you can cut 2 in half if you’re delicate)
2 thick slices of good smoked ham
2 slices Gruyère cheese
Hellmann’s mayonnaise
2 eggs
salt and pepper
2-3 tablespoons butter

Lay 2 doughnuts out on a plate. Melt a tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and sear the slices of ham on both sides briefly. Remove them to a paper towel to drain for a bit before placing each slice onto a doughnut. Top with a thin slice or two of Gruyère and microwave for a a few seconds to get the cheese melty. Smear with some mayonnaise.

Melt the last tablespoon of butter in your skillet. Break one egg at a time into the pan, salt and pepper it, and fry it to your desired doneness (I’d like to make a pitch for over-easy or -medium, since the gooey yolk is delicious in this sandwich!) Place the fried egg briefly on the paper-towel lined plate to drain off the excess butter, and then place one on top of each stack of ham and Gruyère. Top both sandwiches with another doughnut as the “top bun.” Serve immediately.

P.S. In case you’re wondering, this is not a sponsored post. I just really love Krispy Kremes.

Denise @ Creative Kitchen June 1, 2012 at 3:04 am

Oh wow….this looks incredible!! I’m a huge lover of Krispy Kreme doughnuts…raised in Winston-Salem from age 10 on. They are the most AMAZING creations. :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 1, 2012 at 3:08 am

I completely agree, Denise!! :) Thank you!

Jen June 1, 2012 at 10:37 am

I first saw this at 6am this morning and wondered if I was still dreaming lol! It sounded strange at first but the concept is definitely growing on me.. I mean, I love krispy kremes, and I did just randomly buy a slap of Comte yesterday, which will totally work instead of Gruyere…

Reading it again at work just now may possibly have been the reason why I just announced to the entire office that I’m off to buy two dozen krispy kremes from the shop just outside and they have to help me eat them. Obviously this is because it’s the last day of work before a mega holiday weekend so we need to do something fun – although as we’re celebrating the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee here in London, apparently I’m going to go with the least English celebration snack I can think of :o)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 1, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I love it!! Someone else said it inspired a Krispy Kreme run for them already, too! :)

Have fun celebrating the Diamond Jubilee. I follow Never Seconds’ sweet little blog and she mentioned they’re having a special school lunch for it today: http://neverseconds.blogspot.com/

Nicole H. June 1, 2012 at 11:22 am

I really think my stomach just died and went to Heaven. This is the BEST. INVENTION. EVER. I reaaaaaaally wish I lived near a Krispy Kreme so I could make these. These pictures are to die for. Thanks for making me drool at 7am! As always, I am a HUGE fan of your recipes.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Aw, thank you Nicole! I’m glad you’re enthusiastic — I was worried people were just going to be grossed out. But it’s seriously SO GOOD. :)

June g. June 1, 2012 at 11:34 pm

That’s some awesomeness for doughnut day! I love the healthy side of berries;) I may have to break out my Krispy Kreme bread pudding recipe:)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 2, 2012 at 3:49 am

I’ve been meaning to make the bread pudding forever — it sounds SO good! Thanks, June :)

Karly June 2, 2012 at 12:42 am

I looooooove Krispy Kremes. Our local store went out of business though. So sad!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 2, 2012 at 3:50 am

That IS sad!! I’d be trekking to the next city. LOL.

Gio June 2, 2012 at 2:00 am

I have a feeling that when you use the word ‘insane’ to describe what you’ve made, you are most definitely, on to something. haha! GREAT job Julie! :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 2, 2012 at 3:50 am

Thanks, Gio!! It was definitely a hit ;)

Deanna June 2, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I wish I liked doughnuts. There are so many other deep fried foods (onion rings) that I would rather eat I never eat them. And I used a doughnut in a chemistry experiment to figure out calories. Scarred me for life. I love a good croque madame though. I’ve heard the Krispy Kremes are really good if you buy a sugared one and stick it in the waffle iron. I haven’t tried it but I’ve been tempted to.

My life’s not fair moments usually came in regards to my sister because once she got to do things at younger ages than I did because I’d already been guinea pigged to test the safety.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 6, 2012 at 3:29 am

Aw, that’s a hard one! I’d have trouble with that too!

I’m DEFINITELY trying out the waffled Krispy Kreme idea — sounds like a winner!

Jackie @ The Beeroness June 3, 2012 at 5:49 pm

My GOD. I think you just won at breakfast.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 6, 2012 at 3:29 am

LeAndra June 5, 2012 at 1:23 am

My (younger) sister got to pick her bedroom first when we moved into a new house. No drawing straws, no flipping a coin, no game of rock-paper-scissors, she just flat out got to choose first. And of course we wanted the same (bigger!) room. Twenty some years later, it appears I’m still not over this.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 6, 2012 at 3:30 am

Oh, now that’s just totally unfair!! I wouldn’t be over it either! LOL.

Jun Belen June 5, 2012 at 2:21 am

Brilliance.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 6, 2012 at 3:31 am

Aw, why thank you!

Jennifer-The Adventuresome Kitchen June 5, 2012 at 3:01 am

Aside from the fact that Krispy Kremes are off-limits for me, uh WOW… You’ve got me wondering if I can make a light fluffy yeasty sugary pillow of gluten-free goodness. Are Krispy Kremes deep fried?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 6, 2012 at 3:32 am

Well you have to try!! ;)

I think they are deep fried, or at least… fried in hot oil on a conveyor belt!

Judy June 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Yummmmmmmmmm, looks wonderful. I once saw a hamburger seved on a donut bun on “Man vs Food” with Adam Richman. I haven’t the nerve to try it. My friend tells me that the original Krispy Kreme is in Alexandria, VA in case you are ever up that way.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I’ve tried the Krispy Kreme burger! I do like it, but not nearly as much as a good breakfast sandwich — I feel like they just sort of slapped everything on for the gimmick value ;) I thought the original Krispy Kreme was in Winston-Salem, NC? Now I’m curious! Thanks, Judy!

otehlia cassidy June 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Holy donut, Batman! Now that is the way to eat Krispy Kremes.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 6, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Thank you :D I agree!

Shelley June 11, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Surely I’ve shown you our Krispy Kreme wedding “cake,” right?? It was a big hit! I’ll tag you in my FB pic. :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking June 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm

OH my gosh, that is amazing, Shelley!! I don’t know if folks will be able to see but I’ll post the link just in case: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151225587798504&set=p.10151225587798504&type=1

If I ever get married, I’ll know what to do…

Jenny @ BAKE June 11, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I wish I was a Krispy Kreme fan, whenever I see them on TV I get a pang of jealousy!unfortunately due to a bad KK experience the smell just turns my stomach :( This looks like an inspired idea though!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel August 6, 2012 at 1:33 am

OH. MY. GOD. Julie, this is PHENOMENAL. I heart Krispy Kremes. They’re amazeballs, and a Krispy Kreme sammy version of one of my fave breakfast sandwiches? Genius.