Dutch Roomboter Banketstaaf (Flaky Pastry with Almond Filling)

by Julie Ruble on December 16, 2013 · 17 comments

Dutch Roomboter Banketstaaf (Flaky Pastry with Almond Filling)
Dutch Roomboter Banketstaaf (Flaky Pastry with Almond Filling)

Dutch Roomboter Banketstaaf (Flaky Pastry with Almond Filling)

Recipe by: Adapted from Mama Pranayama
Yield: 8 servings

If you love almond croissants, you’re gonna flip. This buttery, flaky pastry envelopes a sweet almond filling. It’s also surprisingly easy to make.

Dough Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup cold water

Filling Ingredients:
1 cup almond paste (or one 8-ounce can)
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
dash of salt
1/2 cup butter, melted

Topping Ingredients:
1 egg white, beaten
sugar for sprinkling
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
sliced almonds

Place flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Add cold chunks of butter and pulse 6-10 times to cut the fat into the flour. The butter should end up looking about the size of small peas. Add the water and process on low just until the dough rolls into a ball — don’t overprocess. (Note: You can also do these steps by hand in a large bowl using a pastry cutter or 2 knives to cut the fat into the flour and salt mixture, and then stirring in the water and forming a dough). Divide the dough into 4 discs on 4 sheets of plastic wrap. Wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes or so.

Use a hand or stand mixer to mix the almond paste, sugar, almond extract, and egg together in a large bowl. Blend until the mixture is mostly smooth.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll each disc of chilled dough out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle (about 12-inches by 3-inches). Spread 1-2 tablespoons of melted butter all over the surface of the dough. Take about 1/4 of your almond paste mixture and spread it in a log, leaving about a 1-inch border on all sides, down then center of your dough. Then, close the dough by folding over each end (using a brush to brush off excess flour as you go) and then folding up the sides, pinching to seal (and using a little melted butter as glue if needed). Place your little dough packet seam-side-down on a prepared baking sheet. Egg wash it with the beaten egg white and sprinkle on some sugar. Repeat this process with your other 3 discs.

Bake packets 15-20 minutes or until nice and golden brown. Let them cool on the baking sheet for around 5 minutes before transferring them (use two spatulas or one long one to ensure they won’t break) to a platter to finish cooling. As they cool, whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract to form a glaze. Drizzle the glaze and sprinkle the sliced almonds over each pastry. Slice and serve warm or room temperature.

Katrina @ WVS December 16, 2013 at 9:41 am

This looks soooo good! Love this idea!

Julie Ruble December 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Thank you, Katrina!

Trisha December 16, 2013 at 9:55 am

It’s amazing the power one small gesture of kindness can have. These are beautiful!

Julie Ruble December 16, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Thank you, Trisha!

Dianna December 16, 2013 at 11:10 am

Love your story {as always}! It’s so interesting how sometimes those who are deemed difficult or unpleasant might just be misunderstood. Your “opposite action” strategy is one I practice often! I discovered its power during a particularly difficult time in my life and, though it didn’t change the outcome of the situation, it made ME feel so much better about how I handled it. I am truly enjoying these introspective posts… free therapy AND dessert! ;)

Julie Ruble December 16, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Thank you, Dianna! I always need to keep reminding myself of this trick, because it’s a hard one to remember without practice! You’re so right that it makes you feel better about yourself!

A_Boleyn December 16, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Thank you for sharing such a touching story. It’s greatly appreciated on a day like today. I substitute teach at the high school level and was called in for a full day … which turned out to only be for a HALF day. I found out when I arrived at the school and was pretty disappointed after the last minute call on the day after our first big snow dump of the season (8 inches). On top of that, I had a rather ‘challenging’ class which left me with a less than charitable feeling towards students but a moment of introspection arising from reading your post reminded me that each of these students have their own stories and lives and what I saw was not directed towards me personally. I’ll do my best to show an extra bit of kindness to my students between now and Christmas and hopefully, will make that one of my New Year’s resolutions.

I have only recently started using almonds in my cooking and after a great poached pear and frangipane tarte and a couple of batches of florentines recently am really enjoying the flavour. I hope to be able to try this pastry in the new year.

Julie Ruble December 16, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Aw, *hugs* on your hard day. Substitute teaching can be one of the most thankless jobs, but we teachers SO appreciate you and how difficult it is to be in your position. It’s generous of you to think to show the students extra kindness, especially during a hard day. Thinking of you!

By the way, your pear and frangipane tarte was beautiful (and the florentines, too.)

Anna December 16, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I love your story and the banketstaaf looks great!
I also like the Welcome to Holland metaphore. But umm, i’m Dutch what would my welcome to Holland be? Maybe welcome to Russia or something :).
And Holland isn’t that bad as long as we have banketstaaf ;)

Julie Ruble December 16, 2013 at 4:55 pm

LOL, yes, Welcome to Russia, maybe! I just told someone on one of the previous posts that if I were Dutch, I’d be like, “But Holland SHOULD be your primary destination, ’cause it’s awesome!” ;) I agree that any place with Banketstaaf gets an A+ in my book. I for one would love to visit!

Always Wright December 16, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Thanks for the beautiful teacher story! Our families are and have been full of wonderful teachers!

vanillasugarblog December 19, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Now this I could do.
Would you believe I still have a fear of making croissants?
I know!
I need to get over that!
But these I think I could do, and if I messed them up, I just just put more almonds and glaze on them!
LOL
I was a very lucky girl, my parents sent me to boarding school most of my life, and I did love it.
The teachers there were amazing; very passionate, very ahh, get you involved in what you’re learning so to speak.
I have fond memories of my teachers, and to this day stay in touch with a lot of them.

Amy | Club Narwhal December 20, 2013 at 11:09 am

Julie, what a beautiful story (and made my former teacher’s heart grow ten sizes too big :)! I am going to try to take your advice, especially during the next week when holiday stress can get up in my face. Also, this pastry is just gorgeous. Love that flaky crust!

Perecca December 22, 2013 at 5:12 am

Um, I have a question. What I can substitute almond paste with? In my country, there’s marzipan, but I got a feeling those are not the same, right?

Julie Ruble December 22, 2013 at 10:03 am

Marzipan and almond paste are, indeed, different. If you don’t have almond paste, you can make it at home: http://candy.about.com/od/nutcandyrecipes/r/Easy-Almond-Paste.htm Hope you enjoy!

Mari @ Oh, Sweet & Savory December 26, 2013 at 11:09 am

I have been looking for some inspiration for post-Christmas baking. I found it here! These look so delicious – I can’t wait to try them!

Katie March 29, 2014 at 9:06 pm

If you want a stronger filling, my mother-in-law (from Holland, my hubby was born in Groningen) makes hers a week in advance and lets it “cure” in an airtight jar in the fridge. It’s amazing!