Cake Batter Cookie Dough Truffles

by Julie Ruble on March 23, 2011 · 62 comments

What a mess of a weekend. While I was blowing my nose repeatedly and hacking unattractively on Saturday night, I noticed that Byrd was lethargic. After a little investigating (read: walking around the apartment), I found that she had eaten about a metric ton of kleenex from the trash can. Her tissue escapades must have been her attempt at staying occupied while I tried to sleep off my cold; alas, it was a bad life decision. She was one unhappy puppy.

She curled up next to me and tried to look as pitiful as possible while I massaged her sick little body. Every now and then she’d look up at me as if to say, “Why aren’t you fixing it, Mommy?” Then I’d cry a little and she’d lick my face a little and we’d continue spooning.

Finally the tissues worked their way out of her system, but not until the entire weekend had been spent fretting and giving her sips of olive oil. I’m ready for everyone in the apartment to be healthy now! At least my turtle hasn’t contracted any plagues as of yet.

Needless to say, the safe-to-eat cookie dough I posted on Sunday has been a welcome ray of sunshine in an otherwise germy, sickly sort of week. In fact, I found two recipes in which to use said cookie dough that almost made everything feel downright cheery. And here’s one of them now: cookie dough truffles.

I usually use the eggless chocolate chip cookie dough in my Coffee Cookie Dough Fudge Cheesecake — a noble purpose, for sure. But if you’re not feeling making an entire cheesecake, you can whip up a batch of these simple truffles. I made them with each type of cookie dough and unsurprisingly, the cake batter cookie dough truffles were my absolute favorite. The cake batter cookie dough was the perfect buttery and festive filling inside of the rich chocolate shell. I’m just sorry poor Byrd couldn’t join in for a bite!

Cake Batter Cookie Dough Truffles

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking
Yields:about 12 truffles, depending on size

Ingredients:
one recipe cake batter cookie dough (or other flavor)
chocolate candy melts (I use Candiquik)
sprinkles!

Directions: Roll your cookie dough into 1 inch balls and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.

Melt candy melts according to package instructions. I place the bowl of melted candy melts into a bigger bowl with hot water in it. This keeps the candy melts warm and viscous as you work. Just be careful not to get any water in the chocolate, which will cause it to seize and be unusable. Prepare a sheet of wax paper to let your truffles dry on.

Take only a few dough balls out of the fridge at a time. Spear one with a toothpick and dip it, using a spoon to help you coat the outside and wiggling it a little over the bowl to let the excess drip off. Now wiggle it off onto your wax paper and top with sprinkles, chocolate chips, crushed oreos, or other cute toppings. Let them harden. Serve immediately or keep in an airtight container in the fridge.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 23, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Your blog is starting to become very dangerous- everything you make I want to make! I want to entertain so that I have an excuse to make those cookie doughs without eating it all myself!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Aw, thank you!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 23, 2011 at 2:26 pm

By the way, how long did it take you to make the 12 truffles?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

The cookie dough itself takes literally 8 or so minutes to make! Then after chilling, dipping only takes about 10-15 minutes longer.

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 March 23, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Hope you are all feeling better soon! The truffles look delicious.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Thanks, Nicole :)

Amy March 23, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Have you ever tried baking the cake batter cookie dough? I have a child who is allergic to eggs and have yet to find a decent egg-free yellow cake. Chocolates work out well but yellow/vanilla? Not so much….

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 23, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I’m afraid it won’t work — there’s no binder to hold it together :( I’m sorry!

Toria April 29, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Have you ever tried looking up vegan recipes? Sometimes things such as applesauce work as great egg substitutes, but depending on the recipe they can alter the taste a bit too much. Some food stores carry egg substitutes in containers, usually next to the egg whites. You most likely already know all of this, but just thought I’d suggest it just in case!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking April 29, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I have! I love vegan recipes — they’re great for when you run out of eggs or dairy (or, of course, if you’re vegan!) But these doughs were made just for eating and not for baking, so they don’t need egg replacers.

Jessica January 21, 2013 at 10:48 pm

You could try taking any recipe, subbing higher protein flour (like bread flour) for AP, omitting the eggs, and upping the moisture. Eggs are basically just protein and water, so the higher protein content in bread flour and more milk/water might make up for the moisture loss. Warning: I have no idea if this actually works!!!! I just know that in theory, it SHOULD work, bu I’ve never tested it!!!! Hope this helps/works!! :)

Kaitlin March 23, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Oh no – what a stressful weekend!! I hope everyone gets (and stays) healthy really fast!

These truffles sound so amazing… Just like everything you post :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 23, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Just took Byrd to the vet — she’s on meds now and hopefully she’ll be back to normal soon :( Poor little thing!

Thanks, Kaitlin!

muppy March 23, 2011 at 6:07 pm

So cute, fab idea :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 23, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Thanks, Muppy!

Joanne March 23, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Oh no! Poor baby! My dog has eaten whole loaves of bread before but never tissues. I’m glad she got it out of her system okay!

Oh these truffles look wonderful! Cake batter is far and above my favorite ice cream flavor…and I have a feeling it’ll be my favorite truffle flavor!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 23, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Mm, your dogs have better taste!

I LOVE cake batter too!! Like, deeply love!

ovenhaven March 23, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Oh dear, sorry to hear about your lil puppy! Glad that everyone’s feeling better around the house now. These truffles look amaaazing! I’m not one to eat cookie batter on its own (I know, strange), but I’ve always loved it in the center of cupcakes. Now I really must try your cake batter dough!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 23, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Thanks, love :) Hope you love it!

Megan March 23, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Can you send some of these my way? This is just the thing I’m craving at this very moment!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 23, 2011 at 9:15 pm

If I hadn’t greedily devoured every last one, you bet I would. Guess I was feeling piggish! ;)

Lucy@The Sweet Touch March 24, 2011 at 9:36 am

oh.my.heavens! I can totally see making these as a birthday gift for someone!

Sounds like your poor pup is feeling better but that is still scary, I have two cats and you would think they are actually my children the way I talk about them!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 24, 2011 at 10:26 am

I know just what you mean, Lucy — Byrd is my baby! We went to the vet and got some medicine, since he thinks her tummy might still be acting up. Hopefully everything is back to normal soon. Thank you!

Connie March 24, 2011 at 10:22 am

I’m a fairly recent visitor to your blog. Love, love, love it! (Remember that I found your blog while search for how Spanish Bar Cake got it’s name?) Thank you SO much for sharing with all of us wanna-be great dessert bakers. Your reference to your Cookie Dough Fudge Cheesecake tweaked my interest, so I clicked on the link. Julie, I had to fight back the tears when I read your list of why you love Mike. I can’t believe the two of you broke up!!! It makes me so sad for both of you, and I don’t even know either of you … although I’m starting to feel like I know you personally. You sound like such an incredibly nice person! Love your recipes, love your photography, love your writing. If the nature of this is too sensitve to post on your blog, a reply from you via email is fine. I’m so concerned about you and Mike. ;-( Are you doing OK?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 24, 2011 at 10:56 am

Aw, thank you so much for this sweet, thoughtful comment, Connie. It’s been a really rocky time. Some days have been great, other days hard — I guess just what you’d expect. I’ve had wonderful support, thankfully, and so I’m doing okay. I guess it gets easier as you go!

Thanks for caring! This is why I love blogging — it creates a community of friends who can support one another :)

Maris (In Good Taste) March 24, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Those look gorgeous. I am glad you and puppy are feeling better.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 24, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Thanks, Maris!

Tess @ Pro-tography 101 March 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Your poor baby! Glad it wasn’t toxic. I love making truffles-great photos. :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Thanks, Tess! Yeah, a pup who had eaten a toxic plant actually came in the vet right after me — she looked better than Byrd at that moment, but it was sad to know she was probably about to get sick :(

Baking Serendipity March 25, 2011 at 12:00 am

Wow! This is cookie dough on a whole new level…I love it!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 25, 2011 at 12:03 am

Thank you!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking March 25, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Julie, these truffles are so beautiful! Great job on them. I bet they taste just amazing! Your photos are so bright and colorful, too. There’s no better lighting than daylight!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 27, 2011 at 10:25 am

jessncanfield March 26, 2011 at 10:28 am

Yummy! Those look amazing! I made some last week being inspired by Bakerella’s book. So delicious and easy!

Maranda March 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm

These look delicious! I hope everyone is feeling better by now!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 27, 2011 at 10:25 am

Thanks, girl!

Clarkie @ Beloved Green March 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I usually make my truffles with the cake, but I have not tried the cookie dough. These look gorgeous, and I love the glass jar you used too, so cute!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 27, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Thank you, Clarkie! My Sunday school teacher let me use that cute little jar! I love it too!

Tracey March 27, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Oh these would be SO dangerous at my house – I’d probably eat the whole batch by myself! Love the sprinkles :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 27, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Thanks, Tracey! I’m a big sprinkles fan — mostly just for cuteness’s sake!

Monica H March 28, 2011 at 10:58 pm

I hope you two are feeling better. There’s nothing better than spooning with your dog and having them lick your tears. Love that.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 28, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I agree!! Thanks, Monica!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks March 29, 2011 at 9:31 am

These truffles look fantastic and your photos are so nice. I hope you are feeling better by now. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking March 29, 2011 at 10:40 am

Thanks, Katie! I am feeling a lot better! :)

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! March 30, 2011 at 8:50 am

So adorable. Love them.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking April 4, 2011 at 9:38 am

Thanks, Christina!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks March 30, 2011 at 8:51 am

I am featuring your delicious truffles today. Thanks so much for sharing. I know that all my readers are going to love your yummy recipe!
Katie

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking April 4, 2011 at 9:38 am

Thank you, Katie!

misscandiquik March 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Um hell-o! I have made Chocolate dipped cookie dough bites, however, never tried any with cake batter cookie dough – a must try! It’s like cake balls, minus 2 hours baking/prep time! Love it.

Sarah at http://blog.candiquik.com

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking April 4, 2011 at 9:38 am

Thanks, Sarah :)

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits April 3, 2011 at 10:56 am

Aww poor puppy… and you! These truffles look amazing though, it’s nice to have a recipe for safely-edible cookie dough! Cake batter sounds WONDERFUL!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking April 4, 2011 at 9:39 am

Thanks, Maggie!

EmilyRose April 30, 2011 at 3:39 pm

These look amazing! Dough is chilling as we speak!

no bake, quick, amazing!

I think next time I might add rum???

littlegirlbigtaste July 29, 2011 at 10:21 am

These look and sound absolutely amazing! They are definitely going on my to-bake list :) Hope you get the chance to stop by my blog! :)

Eftychia July 1, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Delicious dessert and so easy to make!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking July 3, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Thank you! So glad you enjoyed them!

Rebecca December 13, 2012 at 3:41 am

I know I’m late to the party, but I was wondering if you have an estimate as to how long the truffles would take to harden post-chocolate dipping? I’m hoping to make them for a party and want them to be as fresh as possible.

Thank you so much! :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking December 13, 2012 at 3:44 am

Really just a few minutes! Use candy melts for dipping if you want them to stay hardened even sitting out of the fridge — regular chocolate will get melty sitting out. I hope everyone loves them!