Three Delicious Ways to Celebrate World Nutella Day

by Julie Ruble on February 6, 2011 · 16 comments

Groundhog Day’s okay. I mean, Punxsutawney Phil is kind of fat and cute. I like his handlers’ top hats. And Phil said winter was going to be shorter this year, so that’s cool, I guess. At least one of my students is determined to celebrate Groundhog Day (please head over to support his young blog).

But honestly, y’all, it’s hard to be too enthusiastic. Just three measly days later, it’s World Nutella Day. Pshhhh. Punxsutawney who?

If you’re anxious to celebrate today’s clearly superior holiday in creamy-chocolatey-hazelnutty style, here are three of Willow Bird Baking’s favorite Nutella treats!

Wacky Candy Cupcakes

Nutella Truffles in a Chocolate Bowl

Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes

P.S. You may have noticed that I never revealed that announcement mentioned on my Red Velvet Cheesecake post — that’s because there’s been a slight change and I want to wait until things are settled. Can’t wait to let you know!

Amanda Richard February 6, 2011 at 3:30 am

I enjoyed a night out with the girls tonight and we celebrated at our favorite bar (the Patterson House in Nashville) and had their banana nutella panini. It is one of my favorites! Yummy! I LOVE Nutella!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 6, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Yum, it sounds amazing, Amanda!

Jules February 6, 2011 at 4:59 am

OMG they look delicious! I think my boyfriend is going to gain a few pounds next weekend :-D

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 6, 2011 at 6:11 pm

haha, it’s worth the “weight” ;)

Joanne February 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I think World Nutella Day should be celebrated kind of like christmas…in that we get the day off so that we can all sit around and stuff ourselves full of nutella. Seriously. These all look amazing!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm

A day off for nutella sounds amazing!!

Jennifer-The Adventuresome Kitchen February 6, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Groundhog day is a big deal for us, only in that it is my youngest daughter’s birthday. But, she Loooooves nutella, and so we’ve added world nutella day to our birthday celebrations! We always celebrate birthdays for multiple days! Your treats look lovely!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 6, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Aw, thanks Jennifer, and happy birthday to your little one! That definitely does make Groundhog Day special :)

Dmarie February 7, 2011 at 11:57 am

oh, you are killing me with this post! gave up my Nutella addiction because it contains palm oil (trouble for rain forests) and missing it still!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I would love to know more about this, Dmarie. What’s the story with palm oil?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm

P.S. you can actually make your own homemade Nutella, palm-oil-free! No need to give it up completely!

Mollie February 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I bought some nutella in honor of the day! First I ate it on banana bread (http://eatrunread.blogspot.com/2011/02/best-of-week-9-and-ode-to-nutella.html), then on graham crackers, then on my fingers. I had to put it in the freezer to stop myself…and then there I was last night, chipping frozen nutella out of the jar! How is it sooo good???

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2011 at 2:24 pm

YUM A+ choices, Mollie :)

Kathleen Purvis February 9, 2011 at 12:47 pm

My personal Nutella sin: Nutella on saltine crackers. Seriously. Ritz will also do in a pinch. But it’s got that essential salty/chocolate thing going on.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 9, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Oh, I LOVE the salty/chocolate thing! Must try this ASAP!

Maranda February 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Those last cupcakes look awesome. Actually, it all looks awesome! Thanks for sharing!