Homemade Croissant Phototutorial

by Julie Ruble on October 9, 2010 · 174 comments

Croissants are not just pastries to me. They’re not just two days worth of work, careful rolling, and dough laminating. They’re not just butter-laden, flaky bits of heaven.

Croissants represent the mission of Willow Bird Baking: to inspire home cooks to build their kitchen confidence by repeatedly tackling challenging new recipes. In July, I issued the Croissant Challenge where I asked home cooks who had never made homemade croissants before to whip up a batch. Many croissant newbies jumped at the challenge and became Croissant Masters (see their work here: page 1, 2, 3). Their enthusiasm confirmed for me that successfully taking on a challenging recipe can be an exhilarating, satisfying, galvanizing experience.

Thank you so much for voting me through to Project Food Blog Challenge #4 to create a phototutorial. Now it’s time for me to turn the tables on you — because I’m not only completing a challenge, I’m issuing a challenge.

Will you join the proud group to have mastered croissants? No matter your skill level or experience, you can do it, and I’m here to help. If you’re willing to commit to croissant, leave a comment below! Let’s walk through my (slightly ridiculous) version of the process together.

Willow Bird Baking is a contestant in Project Food Blog, a contest comprised of a series of 10 challenges to find the next food blog star. Voting for Challenge #4 is now open! To vote for this Croissant Tutorial, register for a Foodbuzz account. Once you’re registered, sign in and go here. To vote, click the heart next to the words “Vote for this Entry.” I am so grateful for your support!

sophia October 9, 2010 at 9:01 pm

OMg. I’ve tried making croissants before. I FAILED miserably. Of course, I was stupid and did it in an unair-conditioned kitchen on a hot summer day. Yours turned out terrific. Truly impressive!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 9, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I can picture the buttery mess you must have been in, Sophia!! I say you need to try again on a cool day for a confidence boost ;) Thanks so much!

girlichef October 9, 2010 at 9:02 pm

YUM!! Absolutely fabulous post…homemade croissants are the ultimate! Best of luck in this round :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 9, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Thanks so much, girlichef!

Rose in Ohio October 9, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I hereby name this post “Awesome Awesomeness.”

What a treat from start to finish!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 9, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Aw, thanks so much, Rose!

Wei-Wei October 9, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Holy craaaaaaap! That looks like so much fun! You know what? I AM DOING THIS. FOR SURE. YEAH. :D Croissant party, here I come!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 9, 2010 at 9:19 pm

ALL RIGHT WEI-WEI!! That’s the spirit!!! I can’t wait to see your croissant masterpieces!

Wei-Wei November 8, 2010 at 2:52 am

By the way – how do I do that 7 minutes of kneading without a stand mixer or bread machine?? :(

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking November 8, 2010 at 8:37 am

No worries! It’s totally doable by hand — with some elbow grease! Just push the dough back with the palm of your hand and then roll it forward, push back, roll forward, etc. I’m sure there are great youtube videos of kneading. Just do it on a floured surface and stick with it! :)

Lora @cakeduchess October 9, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I am up for the croissant challenge! Yours look delicious! You have my vote (again):)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 9, 2010 at 9:48 pm

HURRAY LORA!! I can’t wait to see your croissants!! Thanks so much :)

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels October 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I absolutely LOVE your entry, so entertaining and the croissants look delicious!!! The picture of you with the mask is hilarious, don’t call my name croissant dough. Hahaha. You did a fantastic job with this challenge, wooohoooo! Best of luck. You’re incredible, I’m voting for you!!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 9, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Aw, such a sweet comment! Thank you, Lindsey :) I so appreciate it!

Liz October 9, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Great post…nomnomnom!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 9, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Thanks, Liz!!

Winnie October 10, 2010 at 12:07 am

Totally and completely awesome! Now I really want a (homemade) croissant :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 12:20 am

Thanks, Winnie ;)

Tastes Better With Friends October 10, 2010 at 12:57 am

I don’t even think I would attempt to make croissants, but I am beyond impressed with your initiative! they look great!
All you’re missing is a puppy in the post;)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 9:41 am

I knew I forgot something!! And the grandma, too!

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 10, 2010 at 8:27 am

Absolutely gorgeous pictures but I think still too complicated for a pastry novice like me! Can I please order a dozen? ;-) Good luck – hope to see you in Round 5!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 9:40 am

I promise it’s not! The truth is, croissants are mostly just tedious — rolling, waiting, rolling, waiting — rather than difficult, which is why it’s such a nice bit of pastry to “cut your teeth” on and feel really proud :)

Thank you!

SohdaLex October 10, 2010 at 8:32 am

WOW. These look like the real deal ;)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 9:38 am

They totally are! ;) Thanks, love.

Jules October 10, 2010 at 8:54 am

Wow…just wow.

Now I really have no excuse…

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 9:38 am

You can do it!!!!

sippitysup October 10, 2010 at 8:59 am

The laying on the sofa part (exhausted) I could handle. Fortunately these instructional pics (almost) make me think I could do this. GREG

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 9:39 am

You can, you can! And you should! The feeling afterward (the satisfaction — not the exhaustion) is so worth the effort :)

Meghan October 10, 2010 at 9:38 am

Okay, you’ve inspired me. Now I just need some free time…

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 9:39 am

Yay, Meghan! You can do it! I know your croissants would be beautiful.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 10, 2010 at 9:40 am

Ok, you make this look like something I could do. I’ve shied away from even attempting croissants, but now I’m thinking this might need to be a project for VERY SOON! You’ve got my vote :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 9:44 am

Hurray, Mara!! You can do it! It’s a bit sticky and a bit scary until after the first fold, but once it’s in the fridge, it’s all easy-sailin’ from there :) And SO worth it!

Joanne October 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm

My question is, why have I not tried my hand at croissants even after seeing all of your croissant challenges? Hmm. No idea.

Great post! Super funny. I’ll be voting!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Thank you, Joanne! You should definitely give ‘em a go!!

Elsa October 10, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Wow your croissants look like they’re from a bakery! And thanks for the step-by-step method.. I find pictures are more helpful than a list of directions!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Thank you, Elsa! :)

Vivian (AKA Mom) October 10, 2010 at 3:37 pm

YUM!!! Bring us some quick!! :) Jason is here and would love some…

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I wish I could, mom, but I just realized I froze the rest and forgot to thaw them last night :(

Baking Barrister October 10, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Okay fine. You’ve convinced me that croissants aren’t as difficult as I make them out to be. But I’m unsure if I’m ready to face that much butter. Sigh. Lovely post.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 6:57 pm

The butter’s the best part! :D Puff pastry has even more butter, believe it or not!

Maranda October 10, 2010 at 6:10 pm

LOL!!! I love this post!!!! I love the pictures of you being goofy as well. Congrats on making it to level 4. I will definitely be voting for you to make it to level 5 (not that I haven’t voted for you all the other times). Good luck doll!!!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Thank you, Maranda!! :)

Suzy October 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I’ve been wanting to make my own homemade croissants for awhile now…like since your challenge post this summer…but I have yet to take the plunge. I am now re-energized to finally do this. Why? (1) because I love how you get so happy when your readers make their own croissants; and (2) because I too want to flop melodramatically on the sofa in my heels after completing Fold #4.

You’ve got my vote again…good luck!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Hurray for being re-energized!! It’s worth it for the sofa-flop alone, not to mention the pastry! ;)

Thanks so much, Suzy!

Meggie Wallace October 10, 2010 at 8:20 pm

One day, I will definitely make these! I have been wanting to, but 3 kids make it rough! I will for sure try for the holidays, though. What better excuse to do something you love and make a loved one watch the children while doing so? :)
Thanks for the post! love it <3

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I can imagine that 3 little ones would, indeed, make it rough! Here’s hoping for a good babysitter for you for Christmas :) I know you will love the process!

Thanks, Meggie!

Duchess of Fork October 10, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Holy cow, girl! Your croissants look amazing! I had NO idea how much butter went into these bad boys!! My husband is drooling over your pictures. Guess I’ll have to make these soon. :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Thanks so much, Duchess ;) Hope you do!!

theteachercooks October 10, 2010 at 9:41 pm

You have done a fantastic job with this pictorial! I can use this is my class! I know that you will advance to the next level. Good luck!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Thanks so much!! I hope you can use it and your class enjoys :)

Vivian (AKA Mom) October 10, 2010 at 9:58 pm

That is okay..we are stuffed! (Angel Biscuits!) They do look lovely this time, though!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 1:55 am

Mmm angel biscuits!!

Tandy October 11, 2010 at 1:54 am

love the sleeping on the couch photo! superb post :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 1:55 am

Thanks so much, Tandy!

Liren October 11, 2010 at 10:26 am

Adorable! I especially like the nap part LOL! But seriously, nicely done – the diagrams are very helpful! I’ll be cheering you on to challenge 5!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 10:28 am

Thanks so much, Liren! Loved your post too!

Evan @swEEts October 11, 2010 at 10:29 am

I LOVEd this post! I have never made croissants before so this is totally going to come in handy :) We’re moving this week and the plus? I now have ample counter space to finally try making croissants! I just printed the recipe.. sooo excited!!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 10:31 am

Hurray, Evan!! I can’t WAIT to see your croissants! It’s such a rewarding process!

And hurray, also, for ample counter space!!

Carolyn October 11, 2010 at 10:44 am

Love that you issued this challenge! I am not sure I am willing to take it on, because I can’t eat the darn things (too many carbs for poor diabetic me), although I love them beyond belief. But maybe I will get around to making them someday, and if I do, I will let you know!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Aw, I’m sad that you can’t eat them, Carolyn! But I still hope you’ll enjoy making them! :) Thank you!

Beth October 11, 2010 at 11:34 am

Great job, Julie! You make it look so easy..I will have to try these soon- when I have some mommy time!! :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Thank you, Beth!!

Amelia from Z Tasty Life October 11, 2010 at 11:41 am

a very challenging undertaking!!! well done.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Thank you, Amelia!

Flotch October 11, 2010 at 12:29 pm

What a great post. This is something I’ve always wanted to try and now I have your step-by-step instructions. PS – LOVE YOUR SHOES!!!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Thank you, Flotch!! I hope you’ll give it a try and love the process! I totally love these shoes too, btw — don’t have many events to wear them to, but I figured making croissants was as good as any occasion ;)

Jacob's Kitchen October 11, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Wow. these look really great. I have never made my own croissants because it seems so complicated. But you broke it down really well, and made it seem easy (if time consuming). Nicely done. I voted for you again!

Good luck! hope to see us both in round 5!!! =)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Thank you so much!! Good luck to you too!

Savory Sweet Living October 11, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I made croissants once in culinary school and it was an exhausting process, though I do love the pounding butter part; and yes, it was very loud. I’m really impressed that you have successfully showed us how to make these through your post and pictures. Great job and you got my vote. Good luck!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Thanks so much for your vote! It IS a long process — but I was thrilled to discover after the first time I made them that though it was lonnnng, it wasn’t that *hard*! And so rewarding! :)

Lindsay October 11, 2010 at 3:36 pm

great post! Just gave you a vote!!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Thank you, Lindsay!!

Heather October 11, 2010 at 3:51 pm

That was way more fun than my blog’s croissant tutorial….even though I definitely did lay on the couch dramatically AND throw a mardi gras mask-involved party after the fact. ;)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 6:41 pm

LOL — love it, Heather! Thank you! I’m going to go see yours!

Therese @ artistta October 11, 2010 at 4:06 pm

It’s been years since I’ve tried to make croissants and that’s probably because of the love you must have to make them, oh and lots and lots of time! These look wonderful. Great job. You’ve got my vote!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Thank you, Therese! :)

stephchows October 11, 2010 at 4:15 pm

WOW that was a crazy amount of steps!! great job!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I promise it’s easier than it looks! Just time consuming :) Thank you Steph!

Margaret Murph.y Tripp October 11, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I LOVE this post! I’ve always wanted to try making croissants and you just nudged me over the edge. They look so good and your photo tutorial was fantastic! You got my vote. Hope you get to advance!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Margaret, I can’t wait to see your croissants!! It is SUCH a rewarding experience to pull these babies out of the oven :) Thank you!

Hungry Jenny October 11, 2010 at 6:08 pm

What a great post! I love that you’ve set this Croissant Challenge and inspired so many people – now I feel compelled to try it too! :-)

I don’t have a mixer so will I need an extra hour for kneading…arrgh!

Good luck with the competition, you so deserve to get to the next round!

Hungry Jenny x

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I’ve had a person or two do it with no mixer and succeed beautifully, so don’t worry (well, except for your wrists) ;) I can’t WAIT to see your croissants, Jenny!! Thank you for joining in the fun!

Jan/Thella October 11, 2010 at 6:47 pm

hurray! great job on the croissants :) they look lovely. great step-by-step guide too! grats on round 4 :) +1 vote

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Thank you so much for the vote!!

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit October 11, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Those croissants are beautiful! They look like a project that would be fun when my kids come for a visit in November- I’m bookmarking! Thanks!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Thanks so much, Betty!! Have fun with them! :) I can’t wait to see yours — I know they’ll be beautiful!

Damaris October 11, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I wish I could vote for you over and over again. Seriously who makes croissants from scratch? No one. You totally deserve to advance.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Aw, thank you so much, Damaris!! :)

Heena @ Tiffin Tales October 11, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I LOVE croissants. And pretending to wear high heels in the kitchen. My vote’s in. Good luck!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 8:36 pm

ME TOO, Heena :) Thank you so much!

Julie M. October 11, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Beautiful croissants! I love the damsel in distress picture and the par-tay pictures. I can tell you had alot of fun putting this together. Good luck, I’ll be rooting for you to advance to the next round!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Thank you so much, Julie! It was a lot of fun!!

Stay-At-Home-Chef October 11, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Wow – looks like you did a fab job on quite the challenge! Croissants. From Scratch. I’m impressed! Good luck and hope to join you in the next round :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Thanks so much!! I hope the same!

Jo Anne October 11, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Wow, they look great! Every time I look at your entries, I gain 2 pounds! You definitely have my vote.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 11, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Just imagine if you were eating them! HA! I have to be careful about that . . . ;)

THANK YOU!!

Sues October 12, 2010 at 12:18 am

Wow! I’m totally scared of making my own croissants, but I really, really love them. You make it seem totally approachable and worth it! When I’m ready to try my own, I’ll definitely be looking back at this tutorial :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 12:20 am

You can do it, Sues!! It’s such a satisfying process :) Totally more lonnng than it is hard!

Thanks :)

Sarah (aka Favorite Sister) October 12, 2010 at 7:52 am

Very clever post Julie! Can’t wait to vote for you next week.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 9:08 am

Hope I get there, Sarah :)

Jen H October 12, 2010 at 8:48 am

I’m so down for this challenge! I’ve been dying to make croissants and am so happy I came across your site and this awesome tutorial!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 9:09 am

Hurray Jen!! Cannot wait to see your croissants!! Enjoy the process :)

Thank you!

Fiona at Life on Nanchang Lu October 12, 2010 at 10:08 am

Love it! Voted! my first job was as the icing girl at Brumby’s Bakery – I would spend all morning making cream buns and watching the bakers make 400 croissants. I’ve always thought them way too tricky for the home cook til now – will have to give these a go!

Wei-Wei October 12, 2010 at 10:17 am

Actually, I was wondering – how do you shape the pains au chocolate? How do you roll the chocolate batons into the dough? Thanks :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Those are the easiest, Wei-Wei! They’re rectangles, and you just place the chocolate baton on one side with about 1/4 inch border and roll up into a little log.

Marta´s Kitchen October 12, 2010 at 10:42 am

you have my vote! I love croissants!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Thanks so much Marta!!

mary beth October 12, 2010 at 10:43 am

Can I just say that that is the cutest outfit ever? ‘Cause it is. Right down to the so-fantastic shoes.

Sorry to be distracted from the croissant awesomeness. Just. So cute!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Aw, thank you Mary Beth!! My mom made that apron, can you believe it? She’s a superstar. I love it times a billion!

Tender Is the Bite October 12, 2010 at 11:03 am

Awesome! Making your own croissants is difficult but rewarding – and requires muscles to beat that butter down. Great idea for a how-to post. Voted!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Thanks so much for your vote! I so appreciate it!

Lynda... October 12, 2010 at 11:07 am

WOW! I’m impressed! As someone who regularly burns toast and has never even successfully cooked rice, your presentation had me feeling all empowered and made me want to head straight to the kitchen and go crazy on some dough. For as much as my children love croissants, I am seriously going to give this a shot!

Oh, and good luck!! :-)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm

YOU CAN DO IT, Lynda!! Just follow step by step! There’s nothing that goes wrong that a little flour (if the butter pokes through) or refrigeration (if anything gets gloppy) can’t fix!! :)

Thank you!!

Chris October 12, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Best post yet – full of life and fun. I think I could actually make these – nothing better than a fresh croissant! -chris

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Aw, thanks so much, Chris!! I know you can do it!

Crystal's Cozy Kitchen October 12, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I actually made croissants for the first time this year – great tutorial! I sent a little red heart your way – Good luck!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Thanks so much, Crystal — isn’t the process rewarding? I always feel like a rockstar (obviously) when I’m pulling them out of the oven!

Tiny Urban Kitchen October 12, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Great post! I love the random intermittent pictures of you throughout the process. And the tutorial is excellent.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Thanks so much :) I had a lot of fun with this!

Jeanne October 12, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Your croissants are so perfect! I am definitely up for this challenge. Fun post and I’m voting for you right now!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm

GO FOR IT, Jeanne!! I’d love to see your croissants!! Thank you so much for the vote!

Megan October 12, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Awesome post, Julie! Those step-by-step pictures are wonderful. As someone who has made croissants and puff pastry before, I know how difficult it must have been to stop the process and take pictures along the way.

That picture of you on the couch is too funny!

Great job!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Thanks so much, Megan!!

Daily Spud October 12, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Masterful! Perhaps even I will make croissants someday (where someday is definitely after PFB is over :) )

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I know how you feel! PFB is one time-consuming competition!

Thank you!!

riceandwheat October 12, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I’ve never tried making croissants myself but what a great photo tutorial to mark for future reference. This is a perfect recipe choice for this challenge because the photos help so much. Good luck this round!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Thank you!! You should jump in — so satisfying! :)

Kashia October 12, 2010 at 6:20 pm

This pleases my heart :) I’m trying to conquer my fear of baking and croissants were going to be my next project. I was a bit intimidated but your phototutorial has eased my fear…slightly. You’ve got my vote and good luck!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 6:22 pm

You’ll be great, Kashia! Just give your board a good flourin’ and keep the fridge clear and ready! You can do it!! Can’t wait to see your end result :)

Thank you so much!!

Lisa October 12, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I don’t even know what’s better than a home-made croissant.

Lisa.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Not too many foods, that’s for sure!!! Thanks, Lisa :)

Katrina October 12, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I could live a happy fulfilled life on croissants and various fillings. I loved this recipe and your blog looks amazing :-) Thanks for sharing this with us.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 12, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Thanks so much, Katrina!! :)

Sally October 13, 2010 at 1:40 am

Sadly my first attempt at croissants failed dismally and ended up in the bin. I think it was due to the high temperatures outside here in the Middle East (although I had the a/c on Artic). I’m waiting for it to cool down to have another try and I’ll be visiting these brilliant step by step instructions to help me. Love the shot of you reclining on the sofa in high heels. And you got my vote – good luck.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 13, 2010 at 10:34 am

So sorry the first attempt didn’t work out, Sally! Heat is definitely the enemy! Here’s hoping the second try is MUCH better :)

Thanks so much!

wheelsandlollipops October 13, 2010 at 3:48 am

Bravo for making croissants. This is one thing I’ve never tried but then again living in the croissant capital makes it easier to buy than to make. They are delicious home made. Thanks for the easy to make instructions . Good Luck

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 13, 2010 at 10:33 am

Thank you! It would be hard to go through the effort when you could pop over and buy a great one :) So fun, though!

Whitney @ Amuse Bouche October 13, 2010 at 10:29 am

HAHA Julie, croissant dough? i love it! I can’t wait to meet you at foodbuzz fest, will you please bring some croissants though?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 13, 2010 at 10:32 am

Excited to meet you too, Whitney :D I just may find a way to stuff some croissants into my suitcase ;)

Thank you!

Nads' Bakery October 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Yeah.. croissants from scratch is hard.. but sooo delicious! Great tutorial!!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 13, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Thanks so much! :)

Barbarian Table October 13, 2010 at 8:06 pm

beautiful! i now have a daily craving for fresh baked croissants. Fantastic job on the photologue! can’t wait to see whats next for challenge #5!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 14, 2010 at 12:09 am

Thanks so much! Hope I get to #5 — I have a fun idea!

@lickmyspoon October 13, 2010 at 11:54 pm

This was such a cute, informative post (you don’t find those two adjectives in the same sentence often). I love your diagrams. Good luck this week, voting for you!

Lick My Spoon

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 14, 2010 at 12:13 am

Thanks so much!! I appreciate the vote!!!!

Heather @ He Cooks She Cooks October 14, 2010 at 8:38 am

YUM! I had voted on your post earlier in the week but didn’t realize I didn’t comment. Been a heck ova week I tell you. I bet a nice flaky croissant would be WONDERFUL as a pulled pork and melty cheese swammich huh? Perfect! Great job.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 14, 2010 at 9:52 am

Thank you SO much Heather! I agree that that would be one heck of a sandwich!

Amelia from Z Tasty Life October 14, 2010 at 9:49 am

lovely humor and well executed tutorial!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 14, 2010 at 9:56 am

Thank you, Amelia!!

Marianne @ Meal Mixer October 14, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Ok…you made it look approachable, and I even have teen-aged boys to eat them for me. But….do I really need to put $14 worth of butter in them? Because if they turn into little rocks I’m not gonna be happy…

: )

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 14, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Ha, don’t worry! First off, only 3 sticks — so just a few dollars! Second off, I PROMISE it’s not difficult — just time-consuming. Make sure your house is cool, you have a fridge ready, and you have plenty of flour — I know it’ll be great! ;)

Anne P October 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Lol great post and great looking croissants! I want some! But I’d rather you make them for me ;)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 14, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Thanks, Anne :D

eataduckimust October 14, 2010 at 8:54 pm

i can eat a LOT of croissants all by myself, no need for a party =P thanks for this awesome tutorial!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 14, 2010 at 10:13 pm

The party is to showcase your greatness, of course! No one else gets to EAT any croissants, silly ;)

Thanks!

momgateway October 15, 2010 at 12:50 am

fabulous tutorial for such a difficult recipe!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 15, 2010 at 12:53 am

Thank you so much! :)

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) October 15, 2010 at 4:44 am

Awesome tutorial. I really need to get around to making puff pastry, I love it, but I’m scared!!

P.S – What color KA is that? I’m trying to choose mine, the color choices are driving me crazy!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 15, 2010 at 6:37 am

Thank you, Avanika! The fridge is your best friend during the process — anytime things are looking iffy, you can just chill the dough and go from there :)

This KA is silver metallic — my family all pitched in to buy it for my birthday this year. So sweet! I didn’t know if I’d ever have one!

annabelle April 26, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I came across your blog today and I´m totally in awe. I just printed the recipe and will serously try to make the homemade croissants. Wish me luck

annabelle April 26, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I have a question, do we need to proof the croissants? why is this step important?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking April 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Hey Annabelle! I’m SO excited that you’re going to give them a shot — it’s so rewarding!!

The proofing step is necessary because that’s when the yeast actually does it’s thing and leavens the bread (makes it rise). It’s why the final product has the right texture and is light and fluffy.

I hope you’ll send a picture along when you’re finished — I’d love to see!!

ginger hillson February 11, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Right now making the beer bread for the cheese sandwiches…think I should give these a try too…One thing I noticed was your finger poking for the amt of turns you have done…saw that on tv too…hope I get to them soon…thanks , love your site… :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking February 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Thank you! I hope you love the beer bread — and make these croissants soon! They make you feel so awesome ;)

Dana May 4, 2012 at 2:30 am

Hi ~ I totally want to make your croissants for my daughter’s baptism, but want to make them in advance (or at least as much in advance as possible). Would you say they are just as good if I freeze them once they are completely baked and then thaw them the night before? Or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks so much! It is only a week away so they wouldn’t be in the freezer very long. Thank you!!!
Dana

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking May 4, 2012 at 2:32 am

Hi Dana, They are just as good if baked within a week (hooray!), but I would actually freeze them right after shaping (there are instructions for this in the original recipe so you won’t get tripped up: http://willowbirdbaking.com/2010/07/03/secret-garden-recipe-homemade-buttery-croissants-and-pains-au-chocolat/) and before proofing them. When ready to bake (from frozen), thaw overnight in the refrigerator and proceed to the proofing step of the recipe as normal.

They are SUCH a special treat and just perfect for a special occasion like a baptism :) I hope you love them!

Smo April 23, 2013 at 4:00 am

Ok, here’s the deal …. I’m older, rich and I want to marry you!

Please bring these cro-santie thing-r majigs …. thank you very much

Julie Ruble April 23, 2013 at 4:12 am

That does not sound like a bad deal at all. LOL.