Quick Tip: How to Freeze Strawberries

by Julie Ruble on August 15, 2010 · 8 comments

Summer’s coming to a close, but your strawberry frenzy doesn’t have to. This quick tutorial demonstrates how to freeze fresh strawberries for later use.

1. Wash, hull, and dry strawberries. Cover a baking sheet with wax paper and set each strawberry, point up, on the wax paper without letting them touch. Firmer strawberries fare better in this process than very ripe or soft ones. This gives you the perfect excuse to eat any of the particularly juicy berries that cross your path. You’re welcome.

That one in the next-to-back-row leaning wayyy over to the right is my favorite. He’s just begging to be chomped — and several strawberries did suffer that fate in the making of this tutorial.

2. Freeze the strawberries for a few hours until hard, and then place them in an airtight plastic zipper bag. Make sure to squeeze out all the air. Label with the date and contents.

3. To thaw, set strawberries in the fridge overnight or out at room temperature for a few hours.

Barbara Bakes August 16, 2010 at 12:03 am

Great tip. Especially the one about eating any that don’t measure up.

Julie August 16, 2010 at 12:04 am

That’s my favorite part, Barbara ;)

Anna Johnston August 16, 2010 at 4:40 am

Now that’s a cool tip, can’t wait for summer, those strawb’s look so nice (not sure they’d make it to the freezer at my place)

Andrea @ Thin Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries August 16, 2010 at 11:19 am

Great tip! I’m going to take advantage of another batch of the giant cases Trader Joe’s has been carrying before it’s too late and follow these steps! Especially since I totally want to make the pie you posted yesterday! ;)

Clarice August 16, 2010 at 11:58 am

I’m always so amazed how easy it is to freeze fruit.

Maranda August 16, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I think I’m definitely going to have to take advantage of this while I still can!! Great little tutorial! I love, love, LOVE strawberries. I love them so much I have a strawberry tattoo! LOL! Thanks for posting this!

Naomi August 17, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Okay, so I may be the only one but there some beauty in the pics of the your detoured cupcakes. But then again, I always root for the underdog.

I find encouraging that you shared these detours, so you have still managed to infuse me with confidence.

BTW-I love the term detour over flops. :)

Julie August 17, 2010 at 2:53 pm