Baking to Freeze: Mexican Lasagna

by Julie Ruble on July 23, 2009 · 15 comments

Mexican Lasagna is the first recipe in my “baking to freeze” series (see the introduction post here, if you missed it!)

Two dishes of Mexican Lasagna with thawing/baking instructions and green onions on the side

Baking to Freeze Recipe #1: Mexican Lasagna

1 14-oz can fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn kernels
Salt
8 8-inch flour tortillas
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
2 scallions, chopped

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown ground beef and drain the fat. Return beef to pan and add taco seasoning (and water, if the seasoning packet calls for such) chili powder, cumin, and red onion. Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add fire roasted tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Heat the mixture through, 2 to 3 minutes, then season with salt to your taste.

Spray a shallow baking dish (disposable oven-proof baking dishes are wonderful for freezing in) with nonstick spray. Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. If freezing, wrap tightly and freeze, keeping bag of scallions and side of salsa in the fridge ready to serve on the side. Lasagna will keep for up to 3 months. If not freezing, simply bake lasagna 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with the scallions and serve.

NOTE: if you’re freezing the lasagna but don’t have a disposable baking dish, you can also line a glass baking dish with foil and leave the ends hanging over the dish. Assemble your lasagna in the dish and bake only about 10 minutes. Then, after it’s cooled, you can freeze the casserole, pull it out using the ends of the foil, and store it in a large ziplock bag. When you’re ready to thaw and bake, you can use the original dish.

Thawing Instructions: Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cook 30 minutes or until casserole is heated through and cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with scallions (to taste) and serve.

Mexican Lasagna filling: browned ground beef, red onions, taco seasoning, extra chili powder and cumin, corn, black beans, and fire-roasted tomatoes.

Click here to download thawing/baking instruction labels and recipe card to include with this dish.

Preview:

Martha July 25, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I found your blog through Bakebakebake on Livejournal – your posting about this recipe. I’m planning on trying it out soon, but HAD to share that I have that same Koolaid spoon!

Julie July 26, 2009 at 12:34 am

HAHA! That’s awesome! I was actually hoping someone out there might recognize my beloved spoon! I mean, I use this thing ALL THE TIME. I got it with a package of Splenda once, for free!

sassynach June 19, 2010 at 3:23 pm

This looks delicious, I’m planning on making it tomorrow.

Do you know if this would work better in a 9×13 pan or 11×17?!?

Julie June 19, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Hope you love it!! We adore this recipe. I bake it in a 9 x 13 pan. Let me know what you think!

sassynach June 19, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought I’d try something new for Father’s Day. :)

sassynach June 22, 2010 at 6:42 pm

It was delicious and easy! My husband said “I approve. You can make this again…and often!”

I had leftovers for lunch today…yum!

Thanks :)

teresa September 28, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Can I substitute wraps for tortillas?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking September 28, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I think that will work fine, Teresa!

Trudy November 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Making this to freeze and share. Could you clarify? The above recipe makes 1 meal to bake in a 9×13 pan? Pic looks like two smaller pans. Do you think a layer of refried beans would work instead of the can of black beans? Happen to have them handy, but never cooked with them before.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking November 8, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Trudy, I baked in two smaller pans to help with stacking in the freezer (or so they could reheat half at a time for smaller meals). You can feel free to do it either way :) I do think the refried beans would work! Hope you love it!

Tricia June 24, 2013 at 1:42 am

Wondering how well the tortillas keep when stored/frozen in sauce. Do they get soggy by the time you defrost and bake?

Julie Ruble June 25, 2013 at 5:26 pm

The ones inside don’t stay crisp regardless, but the ones on top do even after defrosting and baking :)

Deanna October 12, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I love the taste of corn tortillas. Can I replace the flour with corn? If so, will they freeze well or turn to mush?

Julie Ruble October 12, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Sure, Deanna! Go for it! I think they will freeze well.