Cheddar Chive and Bacon Cupfakes with Avocado Frosting

by Julie Ruble on July 11, 2009 · 28 comments

This is one of those recipes that you should go make right now! It’s that delectable. It all started so innocently . . .

Well, not really! It all started with my love of cupfakery and my desire to create a delicious savory cupcake. I knew I wanted to use a creamy avocado frosting, and I just had to think of some complementary ingredients. It struck me that a cheddar bacon biscuit (one step up from a simple cheddar biscuit, and we all know that those are already delicious) would be perfect. And, hey, how about throwing in some chives? Some caramelized onions? Oh, yeah!

Cheddar Chive Bacon Cupcakes with Avocado Frosting

The base recipe here is for cheddar biscuits similar to those you find at Jim N’ Nicks, a barbecue chain. The recipe produces a savory muffin with some sweetness to it. If you don’t like jam on your biscuits or sugar in your cornbread, you might not be too fond of this base recipe. Feel free to cut down on the sugar or try a different cheddar biscuit base (Red Lobster’s recipe is delicious, but I’m not sure how it’ll work in the muffin pan) to mix your bacon, chives, and onions into.

The avocado is the perfect cool-down topping for the bold flavors of the biscuit. And really, apart from the delicious taste, I get a strange joy just from prepping an avocado.

the flesh of an avocado with no deep,
dense core (a knife
snapped into the orb,
which bleeds an orange pulp. the twist,
a clean break).
the flush from gentle lime to olive
to brown in reminiscence —

taking on the appearance of what you’ve lost,
like shrugging on a blue shirt . . .

The process of extracting the soft flesh from an avocado is peaceful and satisfying. If this is the first time you’ve worked with an avocado, here’s a nice tutorial. When you’re picking them up from the grocery, pick the darker fruits that are a little soft. These are ripe and ready to be mashed. And if you’re not an avocado fan, please do make the cupfakes without them; they’re delicious with or without their “frosting.”

Enjoy the delicious bacon smell in your kitchen after making these cupfakes, and don’t forget to save your bacon grease for flavoring other dishes later on. Mike and I enjoyed eating the cupfakes with dinner, just as you would eat regular dinner rolls or biscuits. Only these are tastier!

Cheddar Chive and Bacon Cupfakes with Avocado Frosting

Recipe By:

-Jim N’ Nicks (cheddar biscuits, tweaked)
-Me, with various internet inspiration (avocado frosting)

Yields: 15-17 cupfakes

Cupfake Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 – 1 cup sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
3/4 cup whole milk
1 egg, beaten
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
5 strips bacon, cooked and chopped, divided
1/2 sweet onion, chopped finely
2 tablespoons of fresh chives, chopped finely
2 tablespoons olive oil

Avocado Frosting Ingredients:
4 ripe avocados
4 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Cupfakes: Cook bacon on stovetop or in oven. I bake on a foil-lined baking sheet at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, and drain on paper towels. Crumble 4 strips into small bits, leaving one strip whole for garnish.

In the meantime, pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until caramelized, stirring occasionally. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, cheese, milk, egg, butter, baking powder, vanilla, chives, caramelized onion, and bacon bits. Pour into a greased (or paper-lined) muffin pan. Bake for about 20 minutes. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes in pan, and then transfer to a cooling rack. Frost only when completely cool.

Avocado Frosting: Mash avocado flesh well in bowl with the back of a spoon or fork. I processed mine in a food processor to ensure extra smoothness. Add in lemon juice and cream cheese, and mix until you have a smooth, creamy consistency. Frost cupcakes with a big star tip (I use 1M). Garnish with pieces of bacon.

NOTE on storage: Store cupcakes in airtight container in fridge when frosted. Place avocado pits in container along with cupcakes to discourage browning (but don’t fret if the frosting browns — it’s just oxidized, and still quite edible and yummy). You may even want to half the recipe if you’re just making these for your family, since they almost certainly won’t maintain they’re beautiful green overnight. For taking them to coworkers or friends, I would make the cupcakes ahead of time and frost immediately before the event.

Here are some photos of the process:

Bacon in the oven.

Caramelized onions, bacon, and chives.

Fresh from the oven.

Some very green frosting!

All frosted!

Enjoy!

Amelia July 11, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Those sound wonderful…I LOVE Jim’n’Nick’s cheese biscuits. We ate at Jim’n’Nick’s a lot back in Nashville, not so much here b/c it’s all the way out in Steele Creek.

Willow Bird Baking July 11, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Thanks! You know, I’d never heard of them until I googled for a cheddar biscuit recipe, and was excited to find there was one in Charlotte! I have to try it!

wendy July 12, 2009 at 6:17 pm

I’ve been looking for cupfakes for years that weren’t leaden meatloaf inside! Thanks!!! They’re absolutely lovely.

Willow Bird Baking July 12, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Thanks Wendy! I’m so glad you like them! Hope you enjoy!

arthurbarbato July 14, 2009 at 4:36 pm

omg! *drooling*

Willow Bird Baking July 14, 2009 at 4:37 pm

They’re so good!! Make them! You know you want to! :)

Carolyn G July 14, 2009 at 4:46 pm

OMG i have never seen anything like this. I am so going to try this recipe. I love cheese, cupcakes, bacon and avocados. WOO!

Willow Bird Baking July 14, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Yay! I hope you enjoy, Carolyn. Let me know what you think. We loved them!

Ashley August 9, 2009 at 12:38 am

I made a version these for a friend’s housewarming party (half the sugar, mini muffins instead of full cupfakes) and they were easily the biggest hit of the night. These were an awesome idea–thanks!

Julie August 9, 2009 at 12:45 am

Ashley, I’m so glad you made them and loved them! Hurray! If you have a photo, send it along. Thanks for trying them out!

Ashley August 9, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Alas, I didn’t think to take pictures. Especially since I just used a butter knife to put the frosting on so they didn’t look as pretty. Maybe next time.

Julie August 9, 2009 at 4:29 pm

No worries! I’m just glad you tried and enjoyed them! :)

MrsDragon September 3, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I made these last month and *finally* got around to posting about them:

I will definitely be making them again. : )

Julie September 3, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Glad you enjoyed them!

Ria February 12, 2010 at 5:08 am

Hi! This looks absolutely amazing!! I think I’m going to try making it for a house potluck I’m going to in a few days (just to bring a bit of crazy (and deliciousness!) to the party).

I was wondering, though, if one could leave out the sugar altogether…? Would that be possible; would it taste unsuitable, then? Is sugar absolutely needed, no matter how small the proportion (and, speaking of, could the amount of sugar put in be less than 1/2 cup if one desired it to be)?

Thanks so much!

Julie February 12, 2010 at 8:18 am

Thanks , Ria! I personally don’t think I’d like the biscuits if I left out the sugar all together, but you can certainly try it (let us know how it goes!) I think I’d leave in at least a minimal amount for taste reasons.

If you’re taking them to a party, remember not to frost until RIGHT BEFORE, because the frosting only stays BRIGHT GREEN for awhile. :)

Danielle March 14, 2010 at 3:37 am

I just made these! I think next time I will leave out the sugar and add more bacon and maybe add some sour cream. I didn’t particularly care for the sugar. I like biscuits that are saltier!

Julie March 14, 2010 at 9:30 am

Sorry you didn’t like the sweetness, Danielle! That’s funny; we were over the moon about them. But we’re sweet cornbread sort of folks.

Yours look so cute!

Stephanie April 1, 2011 at 1:46 am

I solved the browning avocado frosting by not using it! I frosted with whipped cream cheese mixed with about a tablespoon of tomato paste. Pink and DELICIOUS.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking April 1, 2011 at 6:31 am

I love the avocado “frosting,” but this is a great fix for folks who want to make them in advance! High five, Stephanie! I can’t wait to try it.

Kelly October 10, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I made these yesterday without the frosting. I wanted something different for breakfast and didn’t have any avocados on hand. I didn’t have bacon but sauteed some franks instead. I added some Philadelphia cooking cream and some jalapenos. too. It was simply AMAZING!!!!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Yum, great adaptations, Kelly! So glad you enjoyed them!!

Terri December 16, 2011 at 12:40 am

Since I live in the Avocado capital, I must try these soon! They would probably be a hit at the annual Avocado Festival. Thanks for sharing.

Colette @ JFF August 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Gorgeous! Love the avocado frosting and who said cupcakes can’t be savory. I’ve GOT to try these. Cheers!

Frances CW December 3, 2013 at 10:39 am

I always make these for parties, along with the amazing (!!!) Ferrero Rocher cupcakes. They are a perfect way to pleasantly surprise guests, and I have to admit that I tend to bake these (without the frosting) as lunchbox snacks as well. If, at any point, you decide to make a traditional English roast dinner, they also make a welcome alternative to Yorkshire puddings (basically baked batter, originally used to fill people up so that you could get away with serving less meat. Yeuch).

Thank you, Julie, for one of my favourite staple recipes!

X
F

Julie Ruble December 3, 2013 at 11:43 am

That makes me so happy to hear, Frances! Thank you!