Easy Carrot Cake with Whipped Icing

by Julie Ruble on August 14, 2014 · 29 comments

Easy Carrot Cake with Whipped Icing
Easy Carrot Cake with Whipped Icing

Easy Carrot Cake with Whipped Icing

Recipe by: Adapted from Barefoot Contessa and icing adapted from Missy Dew on Tasty Kitchen
Yield: 9-12 servings

This cake is perfect for those of you who love carrot cake but don’t want to spend the time and energy to make a layer cake. This cake is quick, simple, and small, so you won’t end up with too many leftovers. The whipped icing is wonderful on this moist spice cake. Enjoy!

Cake Ingredients:
2/3 cup chopped walnuts, plus more for toasting and topping
2/3 pound carrots, grated
1/3 cup diced fresh pineapple

Whipped Icing Ingredients:
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (not powdered sugar)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup butter, at room temperature

Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with a parchment paper sling. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, and eggs together until light yellow. Stir in the vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together 1 2/3 cups flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Toss the raisins and walnuts with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour and fold them, with the carrots and pineapple, into the batter. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake around 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Allow the cake to cool completely.

Make the frosting: Heat the milk, flour, and granulated sugar together over medium heat, whisking constantly. Once it starts to boil, continue whisking and heating it for around 7 minutes or until it’s very thick, like cake batter consistency. Remove the mixture from the heat and add the vanilla extract. Remove the mixture to a shallow pan and let the mixture cool completely (after a bit, I stuck mine in the fridge to hurry it along). Once the mixture is completely cool, beat the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until soft and fluffy. Add the completely cooled mixture and beat on high until you have fluffy frosting the consistency of stiff whipped cream (this takes several minutes, so be patient). Frost your completely cooled cake with a thick layer — you’ll probably use about 3/4 of the frosting, but not all. Top with toasted walnuts. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge, but be sure to let it sit out for 30 minutes before serving so the frosting can soften.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 14, 2014 at 7:25 am

So well put, Julie! It’s unrealistic to expect that the media stop portraying unrealistic body images, but at the same time, they should take responsibility for messages they are sending.

Julie Ruble August 14, 2014 at 9:12 am

Thanks Lauren! I’m hoping that as media continues to hear from women who dislike the current portrayal, we’ll get more companies like Dove and Always recognizing that it pays to support women. Here’s hopin’! :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar August 14, 2014 at 7:53 am

Carrot cake is my FAV! Love the simplicity of this!

Julie Ruble August 14, 2014 at 9:13 am

Thanks, Katrina!

Tara August 14, 2014 at 9:16 am

How many cups of grated carrots does 2/3 pounds yield?

Julie Ruble August 14, 2014 at 9:59 am

I’m sorry, Terry, but I didn’t measure! I just bought one of those 1-pound bag of carrots and used about 2/3 of it. I feel like it was about 2 cups, but don’t quote me on that!

Lisa Roszler August 14, 2014 at 9:38 am

Thanks for this! :) I was anorexic in my late teens and, like every other woman who has struggled with it, will be in recovery mode for the rest of my life. Most of the time (35 years later), I do alright. But then I see a photo taken at an unguarded moment or catch an unexpected glimpse in the mirror and the immediate reaction is, “Whoa! You gotta do something about that! You are FAT!” And then I try to remember I am loved, and unique, and gifted, and that the number on the bathroom scale is just (as I read this morning) “the numerical value of my gravitational pull.” :) I am not a runway model (and oddly enough, was not one when I was 79 lbs, either…hmmm) but I am a role model. I will celebrate the whole, entire person that God made and I will do my best to keep its package and contents healthy. And I will laugh with my friend Daphne, who has The Struggle herself, when she ponders God and His ways-that-we-don’t-understand-or-expect; that won’t it be just so funny if we get to heaven and our glorified bodies are all size 14 when we tried so hard on Earth to get them to be 4s. :)

Lisa Roszler August 14, 2014 at 9:52 am
Julie Ruble August 14, 2014 at 10:26 am

I love that thought, Lisa! And I love your redirection of your attention — it is so important and is a daily task!

Vickie S. August 14, 2014 at 10:19 am

Goodness, thank you for this most proundly eloquent post. I love it when people express my thoughts better than I ever could and you did it. The only thing I can add is something Sam said to Diane on “Cheers” many years ago: “It’s perfectly ok to have an unexpressed thought.” Obviously the person who thought all that crap up never should have expressed it. Thanks again and happy baking!

Julie Ruble August 14, 2014 at 10:26 am

Thanks so much, Vickie! I love that idea — something to share with my students :)

Jamie August 14, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Lol I have totally told students that they don’t actually have to say everything they think.

Julie Ruble August 16, 2014 at 6:08 pm

It’s so, so true. LOL.

Ann August 14, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I find it ironic (probably not, I’m sure the ad algorithm analyzed the keywords and picked it) that I’m seeing a Botox ad on the top right side of the post and a Suave ad at the bottom of the page. That Disneyland ad is very tempting though! :)

I can’t use a scale because I am no longer my 115lbs from high school/early college and getting on that scale threatens to damage what self-worth I have built up. It did damage it for about a year until I realized the scale wasn’t helping and I stopped.

Julie Ruble August 14, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Ha, ironic indeed! I’ve never seen the botox one, but I’m sure you’re right about the algorithm! Sneaky internet.

I’m SO with you on the scale — I love myself more (and don’t suddenly blow up like a balloon, despite my fears) when I ignore it completely. I am safe and that number doesn’t mean a thing.

fallconsmate August 14, 2014 at 3:19 pm

oh, sweetness. i have struggled with you, i have listened to doctors tell me i should have mutilating surgery to reduce my size, then have finally been liberated by my SIZE TWO endocrinologist telling me “oh yes, ALL insulin will cause weight gain”. i nearly fell through the floor. NO ONE had told me that the weight i had put on (and i was comfortably round beforehand) since being diagnosed diabetic was NOT all my fault. and it is not. i CAN maintain a great A1c even with some lovely nibbles in there, i have proved it.

and you can maintain your beautiful healthy strong self, too. i am PROUD of you for embracing healthy eating and healthy habits and denying those foolish people who think that outside is all that matters. oh and for the record, those “wasp waists”? were held in by heavilly boned corsets. sometimes whalebone (baleen from the baleen whales), and sometimes steel, to keep those women thin, thin, thin. but there were plenty of women who did NOT tightlace, and wore their undergarments like women today wear theirs, for support only. bless you, lovely, and may your day today and every following hear those silly tapes in your brain less and less.

Julie Ruble August 16, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Thank you so much for your sweet words and thoughts!! Love to you!

Susan August 15, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Oh Goddess…….that was great! I just got back from the gym where ‘fortunately’ I am there at a time when all the old men are there working out and we just look great…to each other. Thank you again. I’m still laughing. And that cake shall be MINE…sans the pineapple :)

Julie Ruble August 16, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I’m so glad it was timely for you ;) Thanks Susan!

Jaren (Diary of a Recipe Collector) August 15, 2014 at 9:14 pm

This looks really delicious!!

Julie Ruble August 16, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Thanks Jaren!

Karen August 16, 2014 at 11:25 am

The amount of flour is an error in the instructions. Unfortunately I discovered that AFTER I had put all the ingredients together. It’s baking now. Not sure of the results

Julie Ruble August 16, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Hi Karen — the amount in the ingredients list is correct; the amount in the instructions was leftover from the recipe I adapted it from. I’m sorry for the confusion and I hope your cake still turns out. I hate that my error might have impacted your experience. I try to very carefully edit each post several times, but inevitably I make a mistake sometimes.

Karen August 16, 2014 at 6:34 pm

No worries, it is edible but I did not want all your followers to make the same mistake!
It leaves me wondering how awesome would it have been if I had used the correct amount of flour!
Love your site
Karen

Barb | Creative Culinary August 16, 2014 at 3:03 pm

My daughter spent half of her college years struggling with bulemia. She never felt thin enough or pretty enough to meet the standards that seem to be set for women today so I get why that article would be beyond irritating; even to being upsetting. When Madison Avenue and men objectify women it’s bad enough but when our own do it; well there are no words.

However I made an observation in some comments I thought I needed to address. While cartoons of scales to make us laugh and pledges to not let a ‘number’ of pounds be our downfall there were still numbers. Size numbers. We are not all one size fits all. When one reader laments she’ll never see a size 4 again and will have to settle for 14, that sends a pretty powerful message if you ask me. We all need to fit a mold and that mold starts small. My daughter Lauren? Those numbers were one of her triggers. While everyone around her was wearing a size 4 she was wearing a size 10 or 12 and felt HUGE. It didn’t matter to her (or her friends) that she is 5’11” tall; she suffered when shopping with friends and I’ll tell you, that size business was a CONSTANT. Thankfully I discovered her illness, had her come home for a semester and get into therapy and today she is a much more assured young woman. Too young for breast cancer but that’s what we dealt with last year and I was so proud of her; she was a warrior and maybe for the first time she truly realized her worth wasn’t about size or her gorgeous hair or any external element. She brought a fighting spirit to that treatment center that I would like to think changed live; no matter her size.

OK, maybe I’m a little bit passionate about this but just hope everyone will get how those numbers can send a clear message to someone if they don’t fit into that demographic. That’s all.

We are all warriors in this battle to see women for their true value; thanks Julie for a moment of remembering that.

Julie Ruble August 16, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Thank you, thank you, Barb! What a crucial addition to this conversation. They say specifics (numbers, methods, etc.) can be extremely triggering to people struggling with disordered eating, and I’d like to agree that they can, even in smaller ways, be triggering or extremely suggestive to the rest of us too, even if we don’t realize it! You are so right, and I hadn’t thought of it like that. Bless Lauren — I pray for healing for her and for her spirit to continue to be as strong as it obviously is!

Jenny @ BAKE September 2, 2014 at 7:31 am

This is such a beautifully written post, it’s so easy to get into the mindset that how you are isn’t good enough. It’s ridiculous in a time with so much access to knowledge and nutritional information that people are still suffering through in some cases dangerous and detrimental eating regimes to look like a clearly photoshopped image of ‘perfection’.

Cyndi September 7, 2014 at 8:50 am

Thank you for your wise and wonderful words. I’m raising my 13 yr old daughter and try my best to keep her away from negative media. I want her to know she’s perfect just as she is… and so are you

Samantha September 8, 2014 at 3:46 am

AMEN. As a former anorexic, and as someone who watched friends struggle for years with eating disorders, I’m with you 100%. Being fit in your own body is the most beautiful thing.

As a professor, if it’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s being judged for the cute dress I’m wearing rather than the content of the awesome class I just taught. I like to look nice, but that’s always secondary to the amount of effort I put into preparing lectures. This is especially true when we have recruiting events for students. I just did my first one at my new uni the other day, and the comments from parents were 99% about my appearance and 1% about the content of what I said. It made me feel incredibly awkward and unhappy, like what I said hadn’t been good enough, but somehow my outfit was okay…. I try to laugh it off, but it’s really hard.