Easy Taco Grilled Mini Pizzas

by Julie Ruble on July 23, 2013 · 12 comments

Easy Taco Grilled Pizza

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking
Yield: 6-10 mini pizzas

These mini-pizzas are adorable no matter how you cook them, but grilling pizzas is fast, delicious, and perfect for the summer. Leave the toppings on the side as a topping bar so everyone can create their own perfect pizza.

Ingredients:
1 roll Pillsbury Pizza Crust
1 pound ground beef or turkey
taco seasoning
cheddar cheese
salsa
optional toppings: chopped tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, tortilla chips, sour cream, chopped avocado

Review Pillsbury’s easy instructions for How to Grill Pizza before starting out and get all your toppings chopped and ready. Brown the ground beef in a skillet over high heat, drain it well on a paper towel lined plate, and then sauté it with the taco seasoning and a little water until it’s well seasoned. Set this aside with the other prepared ingredients.

Unroll Pillsbury Pizza Crust onto a greased sheet of foil and cut it to desired “mini pizza” sizes.

Preheat a cast iron grill pan (sprayed well with cooking spray) over medium heat (or preheat an oiled outdoor grill to a low heat). Use the foil to flip the mini crusts, one or two at a time, onto the grill. Grill the crust for a minute or two on the first side before flipping it and adding a layer of salsa, seasoned beef, and cheese. Cook another minute or two to melt the cheese, being careful not to burn the bottom crust. If the cheese isn’t fully melted, you can stick the pizza in the microwave for a few seconds post-grilling to finish that job. Take pizzas to the table and let everyone top as they wish. Enjoy!

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by General Mills via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein, though, are all mine and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of General Mills. You can rest assured that I never share products with you that I’m not personally enthusiastic about.

Kelly July 23, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I am the same way. I cook once per week and it needs to last the entire week. And it’s always just kinda thrown halfheartedly into the slow cooker because I have no interest in doing it. But dessert or bread? Not a problem. Meal prep is so much harder than making desserts and bread. Chop this; chop that; saute this. Blah.

Julie Ruble July 23, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Isn’t it funny? I know some people are the exact opposite, but I’d usually rather plan a huge baked good recipe and execute it for hours than deal with “cooking” prep!

Laura July 24, 2013 at 12:49 am

Ditto! I love to bake, am not such a fan of cooking. I prefer to make things like chicken burger patties in large batches, freeze them, and then just defrost for a ten minute meal. #lazy Or I’m big on roasting things. Place on baking tray, spray with oil, stick in oven, leave kitchen. And even then, I get bored with peeling and chopping. AHEM. Chopping chocolate, fine. Chopping carrots, snooze. These looks really good, though!

I wondered – do you have a chocolate cake recipe that you really love? I recently found a chocolate brownie recipe that is soooo superior to any other than I’ve tried that people actually rang up after a dessert buffet for the recipe. And my dad described it as “yumptious”. My dad is a retired university lecturer. He does not make up words. But I don’t have an especially good chocolate cake recipe, so thought you might have some recommendations! :)

Julie Ruble July 24, 2013 at 1:03 am

LOL, yumptious! I like it!

This chocolate cake is both the simplest AND the best I’ve ever had — it’s a variation of Texas Sheet Cake: http://willowbirdbaking.com/2012/04/25/gooey-chocolate-skillet-cake-ice-cream-sundae/

This chocolate cake (I served it in a trifle dish because mine fell apart, haha) is also absolutely incredible, but a little more work: http://willowbirdbaking.com/2011/11/25/salted-caramel-chocolate-trifle/

Laura July 25, 2013 at 1:00 am

Thank you!

Tieghan July 24, 2013 at 2:54 am

These sound so good. I love taco anything, but pizza? Awesome!

Sarah | The Sugar Hit July 24, 2013 at 3:23 am

I love the look of this taco pizza! AND as someone who has been living with my manfriend for 5 years, I can say: don’t worry about it! Those things will totally all work out. Seriously. There are always a million little things, and more will crop up every day. If you both remember that you’re a team, and there to help each other you’ll be fine!

Karly July 24, 2013 at 4:03 am

First of all, love these photos! So vibrant and delicious looking!

Second, I’ll trade you. You take my husband and I’ll take your laundry folding, cooking version. I mean, seriously. My husband can’t even make toast. ;)

Guy August 11, 2013 at 7:21 pm

My wife is spoiled , I am a chef so I cook at work, I come home and cook . I prep her breakfast and lunch , I plan our menu monthly . And, do all the gorcery shopping. But…. She does the laundry.lol

Samantha July 24, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I like to cook, I just don’t have the patience. I have a repertoire of fast and tasty meals. And when I say fast, I mean “little active effort on my part” which is not always the same as quick cooking. We have 5 kids, and any meal that requires more than 10 minutes of my active participation is relegated to special occasions. Our meals are rarely fancy, but they’re always tasty. I’ve mastered dispatching cruciferous vegetables (they’re on the menu about 90% of the time), and roasting them. I’ve found that prepared sides (those pretty boxes and bags in the store) take more of my time to prepare than trimming asparagus, tossing it in bacon fat, sprinkling some salt on top, and chucking it in the oven, and they’re just not as nutritious.

I’ve done some batch cooking too. Meatballs sufficient for tonight’s meal will take 15-20 minutes of my time. Meatballs sufficient for 8-10 meals will take 40 minutes of my time, which works out to 4-5 minutes per meal (plus and extra minute or 2 of effort to heat them for service).

My grandmother hated to cook, so she’d batch cook and freeze meals every Saturday afternoon. She’d prepare 10 identical dinners. It doesn’t take long, preparing 10 dinners a week, to have an assortment to pull from. I used to love going over for dinner because she always had some of everything ready to go. Shepard’s pie, jerk chicken, lasagna, it was an awesome assortment of food that she kept on hand because she was too lazy to cook every night. :D

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onion July 24, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Love this idea… my daughter will love this

Alli Miller @ Cupcake Diaries July 30, 2013 at 4:04 pm

This looks amazing!! I’m featuring it in a Grilling Round Up on my blog today. Thanks for sharing!! :) http://www.cupcakediariesblog.com/2013/07/20-recipes-for-grill.html