Willow Bird Baking Challenge: Challenge #1!

by Julie Ruble on September 29, 2012 · 32 comments

I’ve been hinting on Willow Bird Baking’s Facebook page for a week now that a big challenge was coming your way, and now the wait is over! Here’s the first installment of my new Google Hangout series, Willow Bird Baking Challenge. In the 5-week series, I’ll introduce a new challenge each week that will require you to get creative and innovative in the kitchen. You can create your dish, bake it, and send me a photo before the following weekend. I’ll show off your masterpieces each weekend on Willow Bird Baking!

Are you ready to hear Challenge #1? Your completed challenge is due next Friday, October 5. Here you go!

And here’s the link to the “base” recipe for the cinnamon roll dough!

Happy brainstorming and baking!

Amy September 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm

While I’m waiting for my dough to warm up this morning, I’m wondering about the addition of vinegar to this recipe – I make cinnamon rolls all the time, but I’ve never seen that, what does it do?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking September 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm

So excited to see what you’re making, Amy!

The vinegar helps with the gluten development (and might help the yeast) so the dough rises higher. Some folks put it in various yeast dough recipes, but this is the only one I use it in — mostly because my mom does! ;)

Amy September 29, 2012 at 4:45 pm

interesting, I’m always up for new baking facts!

And I just finished up Oatmeal Apple Cinnamon Rolls with Vanilla Bean Caramel Glaze – here are some pics – http://supervelma.tumblr.com/post/32528531290/if-youre-not-familiar-with-willow-bird-baking.

Thanks for doing this challenge, it was fun to try something different

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking September 29, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Amy, you are not only a super baker, but a SPEEDY baker! I can’t believe you already tackled this challenge, girl! Your take on cinnamon rolls looks AMAZING — oatmeal and apples are such a great combo. Thank you so much for joining in! I’m totally showing these off on Facebook too!

Robyn September 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Hi Julie, I’m new to your site and glad I found it! These buns are amazing, here’s my entry (I guess apples are on everyone’s mind this time of year) to Challenge #1: http://www.almacucina.com/2012/09/apple-cinnamon-chip-buns.html

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 1, 2012 at 2:02 am

Robyn, those are BEYOND beautiful!! And I’m in LOVE with cinnamon chips, so I love your combo! You totally rocked this challenge, girl! Thank you!! Can’t wait to show them off on Friday on the blog!

Robyn October 1, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Thanks Julie, and thanks for sharing. Your dough recipe is a real winner,I can’t wait to try it with different fillings! This challenge has got my wheels spinning.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 1, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I LOVE that! That’s just what I hoped would happen :) I can’t wait to see what else you come up with, girl! Your rolls were gorgeous!

Colette @ JFF! October 1, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Coconut-Almond is all I can think about right now.
Once I come out of this coma, I’ll think up something else!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Girrrrl, they are SERIOUSLY good. No one would fault you for making those babies. LOL. ;)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet October 1, 2012 at 10:25 pm

You ladies are too adorable! Love the idea for the challenges and wish I had time to participate.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I wish you did too, girl! I know you’d come up with something great :) Thanks!

Eric October 2, 2012 at 2:27 am

Here’s my contribution – I ended up making ricotta, honey, & dill buns! Thanks for the challenge, it was fun! (I say, after the fact…) I don’t have a blog, but I wrote a bit about it and put some pictures in a google document.

-Eric

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 2, 2012 at 11:40 am

LOL, worrywart buns!! That is too funny. I LOVE that you jumped in and did the challenge even though you were nervous, and I’d say you totally ROCKED it!! Your buns look fantastic (is that inappropriate?) ;)

Ala October 2, 2012 at 4:39 am

This sounds like a *wonderful* idea–I am so, so excited! I’m going to have to try to make some time (and find some mouths to feed) for this, but I will definitely post if I can. By the way, it’s so fun hearing you guys announce this :) such friendly faces to match a delightful writing style. Thank you for hosting!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 2, 2012 at 11:40 am

Aw, thank you, Ala!! I hope you can jump in and join us!!

Ala October 5, 2012 at 12:52 am

Done, done, and done–yipee! Thank you again for hosting–I’ve made some “berry delicious” “Sorry, It’s Still Summer” rolls, with a raspberry cream cheese filling and lemon glaze/frosting. http://wallflourgirl.wordpress.com/2012/10/05/sorry-its-still-summer-cinnamon-rolls-raspberry-cheesecake-rolls-with-lemon-icing/ Cheerios!

Dianna @ The Kitchen Prep October 3, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Hi Julie! Ok… I did it. I really went outside the box here: Cuban Sandwich “Cinnamon” Rolls. {Do we still call them cinnamon rolls if they don’t actually contain any cinnamon whatsoever!?} They are totally perfect for representing me, a South Florida girl with a Cuban heritage. :) Thanks so much for challenging us and for adding a new recipe to my arsenal that I just KNOW will be well loved! Here’s the link to them on my blog: http://www.thekitchenprepblog.com/2012/10/willowbird-baking-challenge-cuban.html

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 7, 2012 at 2:51 am

This is TOO creative, seriously! TOO MUCH! ;) I love them!

muppy October 3, 2012 at 10:01 pm

oh how i wish i had time to join in!!!! maybe next week?

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 7, 2012 at 2:51 am

I hope you can join us, Muppy!!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen October 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Hi Julie, I just saw this challenge at The Gingered Whisk. I´m late for tomorrow´s deadline, but how do I get on board for the next ones? Through FB or Google+? I don´t know where to sign up. Thanks!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Paula, it’s more of a “living line,” LOL, so feel free to join in if you get the chance, even if it’s a couple days late! For the next challenge, though, there are two ways you can join in: if you have a webcam and would like to be invited to the Google+ hangout where I introduce the challenge, just let me know and I’ll send you an email invite. It’s fun because we tell a little about ourselves and then find out the challenge :) Otherwise, I will post the video here after the hangout to reveal the challenge to readers. Just let me know which you prefer!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen October 4, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I don´t have a webcam right now, so I´ll wait till you post the next challenge.
I´ll e-mail you the picture and link next week. Thanks Julie, looking forward to it!

Natalie October 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Julie! I found your site a couple of days ago and I absolutely love it. I hope you don’t mind me joining in on the challenge! Here is my post: http://stephenandnat.blogspot.com/2012/10/raspberry-lemon-curd-rolls.html. Thank you so much for the open invitation, I had so much fun and I look forward to the next one :)

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 7, 2012 at 2:51 am

GORGEOUS rolls and photos! I LOVE the raspberry + lemon curd combo — one of my favorite flavor combos of all time! Thanks so much for these beautiful rolls, Natalie!

Amy Hollis October 4, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Hi there, I made the ginger pumpkin cheesecake rolls with toffee topping, and yes, you DO want this recipe! How do I send it exactly? I have photos, but I am a bit computer challenged… thanks!
Amy Hollis

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

No worries, Amy!! I’d love to see! You can just attach them in an email to julie@willowbirdbaking.com.

Amy Hollis October 5, 2012 at 12:51 am

Hey again, I created a google doc like Eric did, but I couldn’t get any pics to load! My creation is Toffee Ginger Pumpkin Cheesecake Rolls!! Ta Da!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking October 7, 2012 at 2:50 am

Thank you so much, Amy! These are BEAUTIFUL — ohh that toffee is what’s really killin’ me! I need a few of these right now :) Thank you for joining in the fun!