Biscoff Spread Gooey Butter Cake

by Julie Ruble on May 21, 2013 · 22 comments

Biscoff Spread Gooey Butter Cake

Recipe by: Willow Bird Baking.
Yield: 6-8 servings

Gooey butter cake is already completely insane, buttery, and delicious, but when you add Biscoff Cookie Spread, things get serious. I thought up this combo when working on my beloved Gooey Butter Cake theme and it is a real crowd-pleaser!

Crust Ingredients:
1 cup cake flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, cold

Filling Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup crunchy Biscoff Spread (or other cookie butter)
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
icing sugar

Toppings Ingredients:
more cookie butter!
Biscoff cookies
1 cup heavy whipping cream

NOTE: If you don’t have a skillet, I believe you can bake this in a greased 9-inch square baking dish (I’d use a glass one if you have it, and check it early and often. Remove when there’s some jiggle left.) Let us know how it goes if you try it this way for all the other skilletless people!

Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together cake flour and sugar in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or two knives (I use my food processor) until the mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling together. Press the mixture into the bottom (this step is a lot harder than it sounds, but be patient and use the back of a spoon to help spread/press the mixture down) and up the sides of a 10-inch cast iron skillet.

Make the filling: Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale yellow (about 2-3 minutes). Mix in the cookie butter. Mix in the egg until just combined. Alternate adding the flour and evaporated milk, mixing after each addition. Mix in the corn syrup and vanilla. Pour the filling into the crust and sprinkle the top with icing sugar.

Bake and assemble the cake: Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake is nearly set (mine was probably ready around 48 minutes). Some jiggle is fine — do not overcook! It’ll finish setting up as it cools. Let it cool in pan for 2 hours. No really. If you don’t, it’ll just be pudding-y. In the meantime, beat heavy cream to stiff peaks. Top your cake with cookie butter, Biscoff cookies, and whipped cream. Eaaat it.

Barbara | Creative Culinary May 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I am originally from St. Louis; the home of gooey butter cake. I have seen it bastardized on so many blogs; the worst being those that think that making one with a cake mix counts. However, in the interest of validation I will say this:

WOW. I love Biscoff and I would be OK with adding it to the ooey, gooeyness of GBB!! Call St. Louis, get them on this stat!

Julie Ruble May 22, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I love GBCs, and have to admit, when I love something, I tend to vary it in all sorts of ways :) I know there are current arguments about yeasted base vs. unyeasted (like here), and cream cheese vs. no cream cheese. Would love to hear your thoughts! This base GBC (without the cookie butter) is my favorite of the “plain” versions.

Dina May 23, 2013 at 1:07 am

i love gooey butter cake. what a great idea!

PapaLos - The Man, The Chef, The Dad May 23, 2013 at 1:34 am

Wow, that conversation about the toilet paper without validation sounds just like a regular conversation in my house! …I don’t think I should be excited about that but whatever.

I’m totally behind you that we should all validate each other in as many conversations as we can. I think relationships would be healthier, friendships stronger and the world a better place.

The cake, of course, looks splendid! If there is anyone that makes me wish I still owned a cast iron skillet, it’s you!

Jarome May 23, 2013 at 12:44 pm

This Gooey Butter Cake looks delish alone but the biscoff cookies make sit more stunning for your palate. :)

steph@stephsbitebybite May 23, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I think this is the only way I’ll make it through Friday! YUM!

Tanna May 23, 2013 at 2:06 pm

This gooey butter cake looks amazing! I’ve never tried biscoff spread before. I’m going to have to get me some.

shelly (cookies and cups) May 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm

This is almost too good to be true!

Summer @ Mallow and Co May 24, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Ha ha haaa! I need to show this post to my husband, the man does not understand me when I try and convince him the roll should go Over! And this cake looks awesome – I saw it on pinterest and am definitely repinning!

Choclette May 26, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Ooh, I’ve not come across butter cake before, it sounds good, but your version with biscoff sounds crazily good. I’m off to get a spoon now so I can dig into yours ;-) Good points made about validation too.

sayre May 31, 2013 at 7:24 pm

kathleen and i are eating this right now. thanks SO SO much. it’s delicious!

Julie Ruble June 1, 2013 at 1:24 am

Aw, that makes me happy!! I’m glad you guys are enjoying it :)

Angie July 25, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Love this made from scratch version of your cake! I bet it tastes so good!

Julie Ruble July 25, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thanks, Angie! Yours was gorgeous! Love using a mix every now and then for a quick and awesome dessert!

Tieghan July 26, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Love this so much! Gooey is the best thing ever!

Karen @ The Food Charlatan October 7, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Oooooooh my gosh this cake is so good!! I think I ate the whole thing with a fork from the skillet. For real. Thanks for a fabulous recipe! I blogged about it over here: http://thefoodcharlatan.com/2013/10/07/biscoff-gooey-butter-cake/

Celeste Fritsche September 3, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I baked this over Labor Day weekend using an 8″ square glass baking dish, and it turned out fabulous. I only baked it 45 minutes, and it probably could have gone just a little longer. Topped it with Justin’s chocolate hazelnut spread and it was absolutely sublime!